9 minutes ago, buddha said:

top 6:

georgia

michigan

ohio state

tennessee

tcu

oregon

I think I'd go the same but it's still a toss up for me between UM/OSU, yeah OSU looked like crap today but their ND win looks a little bit better so that may offset things. They also beat PSU on the road albeit in a less dominating fashion then UM did. 

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Michigan is very good for a B1G team.  I think they suffocate teams like we have not seen in the B1G for a while.   Their level of goodness is comparable to any team but Georgia. 

But, in fairness, the Big Ten sucks.   It really does.    We've gone back to the Big 2 Little 8 days (Little 12 obviously).   Penn State is the 3rd best team in the conference and they got their asses kicked by the top 2.    And the Big Ten West.........what a joke,  Illinois really had a chance to take a stranglehold against a bad MSU team who suspended 8 players and they shit the bed yesterday.   Does anyone want that division?    After the shitty seasons that WIsconsin and Iowa were having, watch - one of them will be in Indy - with a 7-5 (5-4 conference) record, while an 11-1 (8-1) Michigan or Ohio State team stays home.   I wanted Illinois or Purdue to be in the Indy game - just to have someone different than boring old Wisconsin or Iowa, but we'll probably end up with the same old same old and they'll lose in Indy 45-10.   

Are we really expanding with USC and UCLA.  Is that happening.

Next year, and I know it won't happen, the Big Ten needs to realign for with a North-South set up.   Move the Michigan-Ohio State game to early October............because with one of those two losing in the final week it seriously hurts the Big Ten's chances at 2 teams in the 4 team playoff.  You cancel the Championship game (like the Pac 12 did) and it helps.  When you have 6 or 7 weeks left after a loss you can likely climb back into the race.  

If we stick with East/West for 2024 we are going to end up with USC and only USC in Indy every year.    And would they still have the game in Indy?   Kind of unfair to the West Coast teams.     

I don't know.  I feel like the USC/UCLA  (and probably Oregon, Stanford, Cal and Utah) thing isn't really going to happen, because it shouldn't, but money will decide it all.  

If the Big Ten stayed at 14,  My alignment would be

Big Ten North
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

Big Ten South
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

9 Conference Games
6 Division games + 2 nondivisional 1 Protected Rival 

Protected Rivals
Maryland - Rutgers   - Big East Teams
Michigan - Ohio State - Border War
Michigan State - Penn State - they've built it up now
Minnesota - Iowa - Another Border War
Northwestern - Illinois - State Bragging Rights
Purdue - Indiana - More State Bragging Rights
Nebraska - Wisconsin - The could play for the Big Red trophy, a Trophy that looks like a giant pack of Big Red gum - there you go, a corporate sponsor. 

With USC and UCLA.........I don't know........Could you split them in a North-South division?   Or will they stay East-West and move Illinois or Northwestern to the East?     I freaking hate this West Coast expansion.   

Is it likely going to look like this

Big Ten West
Cal
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Wisconsin 

Big Ten East
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Purdue 
Rutgers

Talk about ugly.   Would they have 10 conference games?   9 in Division and 1 out of division.  It just doesn't make sense.  We'd never play Wisconsin or Iowa again.    I know they are only adding USC and UCLA right now, but that's going to change.   

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Michigan is very good for a B1G team.  I think they suffocate teams like we have not seen in the B1G for a while.   Their level of goodness is comparable to any team but Georgia. 

This season has the feel of Georgia at 1 and several teams trying to figure out who takes the other playoff spots.  It doesn’t mean Georgia is unbeatable, but it would take some breaks to beat them.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

This season has the feel of Georgia at 1 and several teams trying to figure out who takes the other playoff spots.  It doesn’t mean Georgia is unbeatable, but it would take some breaks to beat them.

Michigan would need to be super lucky and have a lot of bounces to beat Georgia.   But, we are definitely better than the rest of the field.   OSU on the road might be a tough one though.  

29 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Michigan would need to be super lucky and have a lot of bounces to beat Georgia.   But, we are definitely better than the rest of the field.   OSU on the road might be a tough one though.  

I sure hope the OSU RB room is back at full strength by then.  If OSU loses, they lose.  But I just want it at full strength.  If they aren’t good enough at full strength, so be it.  If they lose but there are questionable circumstances, that ain’t no fun.

Both teams, undefeated, full strength, ready to go on a weather neutral day.  And some cold beers at my disposal.  Anyone with me?

37 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The schedule has done its job to put Michigan in position to make the playoff.  Will that same schedule hurt them once they get there?  They have played one quality team and only one quality offense.  They have a good, talented team but it’s hard to tell what’s likely to happen when they get into it with another really good team.  

50 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The schedule has done its job to put Michigan in position to make the playoff.  Will that same schedule hurt them once they get there?  They have played one quality team and only one quality offense.  They have a good, talented team but it’s hard to tell what’s likely to happen when they get into it with another really good team.  

PSU and Maryland?

46 minutes ago, romad1 said:

PSU and Maryland?

Really?  No comment on whether there’s any concern about how the SoS will prepare UM for the playoff and instead nitpicking whether Maryland is a quality offense or not.   I’m not really interested  in debating the merits of Maryland.  The point is the same if I change my OP to say 2 quality teams offenses instead of 1.   

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

If they make the playoff with wins over Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois and Maryland, and whoever they'd play in the Big 10 championship game, that's plenty of challenges to prepare them for a #2-#3 matchup against a TCU or Oregon or USC.  And you can say that about any 0-loss or 1-loss team any  except Georgia and Tennessee. Ohio State? Has beaten Penn State and Notre Dame so far. Oregon? UCLA only, maybe Washington State as a stretch. TCU? Oklahoma State and Kansas State, and neither is as good as Penn State.  USC? Oregon St. and maybe Washington State, neither as good as Penn St. 

Edited by lordstanley

18 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If they make the playoff with wins over Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois and Maryland, and whoever they'd play in the Big 10 championship game, that's plenty of challenges to prepare them for a #2-#3 matchup against a TCU or Oregon or USC.  And you can say that about any 0-loss or 1-loss team any  except Georgia and Tennessee. Ohio State? Has beaten Penn State and Notre Dame so far. Oregon? UCLA only, maybe Washington State as a stretch. TCU? Oklahoma State and Kansas State, and neither is as good as Penn State.  USC? Oregon St. and maybe Washington State, neither as good as Penn St. 

Why did you flip it to who have you beaten?   It was about who have they played and how often they challenged themselves against a good team prior to the playoff.   All of the SEC teams have multiple times.  All of the Pac-12 teams will have done it multiple times.   TCU has done it multiple times.  

On a side note, why is Penn State so amazing.  They are good but K-State, OK State, and even Oregon St playing with their backup QB have all looked similar against much tougher schedules.  

34 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Lol.  None of those teams are making it.

Maryland sucks.  Why does everyone  here love them.  They have one semi-quality win over an ok SMU.   The teams they have beaten are 20-35.   

maryland is not a good team.

btw, smu just scored 77 points in a regulation game.  the highest scoring regulation game in ncaa history.  not saying theyre good, just saying it because i read it today.

the big ten sucks this year.  michigan only has two talented teams on the schedule.  i am not sold on illinois at all.