2022 NCAA Football Thread

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

punished.  punished so they never do it again.

(dont look at next year's schedule...)

you can hope, but can you cite any precedent for a power 5 school suffering for going 11-0 into their rivalry game? There are only two games on any UM schedule that matter, they could play Pioneer for the other 10 and no-one would really care.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you can hope, but can you cite any precedent for a power 5 school suffering for going 11-0 into their rivalry game? There are only two games on any UM schedule that matter, they could play Pioneer for the other 10 and no-one would really care.

tcu should be ranked ahead of them.  one loss oregon should be ranked ahead of them.

if they had played ucla and beat them (no given), and then lost to osu, they still have a shot at the playoff.  instead, its all about osu.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

tcu should be ranked ahead of them.  one loss oregon should be ranked ahead of them.

if they had played ucla and beat them (no given), and then lost to osu, they still have a shot at the playoff.  instead, its all about osu.

welp...the difference is that TCU is not a hundred year brand with the largest alumni base in the World.   Sucks to be you TCU. 

12 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Eyeballs

Exactly. If there is no more profit in playing a better team, why take the risk? And it's probably a fallacy that playing better teams makes you better. What makes you better is better players and you get better players by recruiting and you get better recruits when you win a lot, so I'm really not sure playing better teams even improves your odds of being able to win the last one.

you would play the better teams if you were interested in sports for the sportmanship, but get real, this is the 21st century. Sports is about $$

Edited by gehringer_2

Oregon can be the test for future scheduling.  They opened against Georgia and got crushed and then destroyed everyone else on their schedule including another OOC against BYU.   If they run the table and get left out then there is no reason for anyone to ever schedule hard again.    As it stands now, had they scheduled Georgia State instead of Georgia, they would be ranked #3 with a guarantee to the playoff if they won the rest. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

By that context, the Yankees and Red Sox should be included in every MLB postseason.

I'm not arguing that Michigan should get in because it would make for good tv.  I'm arguing that they will get in because of that consideration.   These college football people are corrupt AF. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

aren't they?

🤷‍♀️

I may have missed it, but I didn't see the Red Sox bump the Rays from qualifying for the playoffs this season by virtue of a popularity contest.

Hey, how about that?  I think we might have stumbled upon something that MLB does better than NCAAF.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

I'm not arguing that Michigan should get in because it would make for good tv.  I'm arguing that they will get in because of that consideration.   These college football people are corrupt AF. 

Concur, which is why I'd like to get back to a BcS type of ranking system to avoid these types of shenanigans.  Although the crooks would be in charge of that, too, so where would it get us?

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I may have missed it, but I didn't see the Red Sox bump the Rays from qualifying for the playoffs this season by virtue of a popularity contest.

Hey, how about that?  I think we might have stumbled upon something that MLB does better than NCAAF.

It's true, I 'or'd your logical 'and', but there haven't been many recent years one of the two aren't there.

Just now, casimir said:

Concur, which is why I'd like to get back to a BcS type of ranking system to avoid these types of shenanigans.  Although the crooks would be in charge of that, too, so where would it get us?

Only fans liked the SoS component, and only some of them. The general wailing and gnashing of teeth from most of the football establishment about putting teams with worse records higher in the rankings because of "computers" leaves me doubtful we'll ever see it again.

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. If there is no more profit in playing a better team, why take the risk? And it's probably a fallacy that playing better teams makes you better. What makes you better is better players and you get better players by recruiting and you get better recruits when you win a lot, so I'm really not sure playing better teams even improves your odds of being able to win the last one.

I don’t buy this at all.  I know for a fact that teams can get better as the season goes along.  I also know that you can’t recruit or add new players to thr roster during the season.    Experience in game situations absolutely can help players and teams improve.   

Edited by Hongbit

I think the schedule thing is completely overblown, yeah it sucks but unless you schedule an elite team in the non conference it shouldn't matter if you beat up on a cupcake or against a mid tier power 5 team like we did with Washington last year. Theyre still games you're going to win at a 90%+ rate. 

I mean let's say they kept UCLA on the schedule yeah they are good this year but most years they are mediocre and would be like beating another Purdue or Indiana. Is playing one more again against a team like that and winning that big of deal?

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t buy this at all.  I know for a fact I that teams can better as the season goes along.  I also know that you can’t recruit or add new players to thr roster during the season.    Experience in game situations absolutely can help players and teams improve.   

teams improve for certain, but do they improve for  who they have played or simply because the players are practicing and maturing? A college team spends most of it's time playing against itself in practice. Having great players to practice against is probably more important that getting beat a few times by an opposition player on a Saturday one or twice in the season. I think back to all those teams Bo had that couldn't defend the pass. They didn't get better by being beat and they couldn't get better because they were practicing against Ricky Leach at QB!

Edited by gehringer_2

There’s no perfect system.  There are biases and corruption that absolutely do play a part.  I’m not sure how this goes away.   The best solution is to expand the playoff.   The arguments will still remain but the debate will be mean much less when it’s whether the 9th or 10th best team in the country that got screwed.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

There’s no perfect system.  There are biases and corruption that absolutely do play a part.  I’m not sure how this goes away.   The best solution is to expand the playoff.   The arguments will still remain but the debate will be mean much less when it’s whether the 9th or 10th best team in the country that got screwed.  

right. You wan't a situation where no-one really thinks a team that got that short end had any chance at winning through anyway. The problem in football is that you are up against the time it takes to get through a tournament at one game per week and the attrition rate for football players as seasons lengthen. In the pros the playoffs are already as much about surviving injuries as who was able to assemble the better team that summer. 

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There's no perfect system, but there are ways to make the current situation better.