2022 NCAA Football Thread

I’d be fine with OSU-Michigan being effectively a playoff game, as the winner will enjoy knocking the other team out for the year and not have to play again in a few weeks. But my CFP prediction after all shakes out is: Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan. I think Ole Miss, Clemson, North Carolina, Oregon, USC, UCLA and yes even TCU will all get to 2-losses by the time all is said and done. 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I’d be fine with OSU-Michigan being effectively a playoff game, as the winner will enjoy knocking the other team out for the year and not have to play again in a few weeks. But my CFP prediction after all shakes out is: Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan. I think Ole Miss, Clemson, North Carolina, Oregon, USC, UCLA and yes even TCU will all get to 2-losses by the time all is said and done. 

Could you even imagine what a Michigan-OSU National Championship would look like? Talk about bringing The Game back.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Could you even imagine what a Michigan-OSU National Championship would look like? Talk about bringing The Game back.

It'd be fun for the rivalry, but I don't know that it'd be well received nationally.

There was discussion of a rematch in the 2006/7 national championship.  I don't know how I feel about back-to-back games like that.  The original divisional set up was designed for that, but it never happened.  With the current conference championship and the current playoffs, there's a bit more separation from the regular season matchup.  And once the playoffs expand again, there's more separation.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

It'd be fun for the rivalry, but I don't know that it'd be well received nationally.

There was discussion of a rematch in the 2006/7 national championship.  I don't know how I feel about back-to-back games like that.  The original divisional set up was designed for that, but it never happened.  With the current conference championship and the current playoffs, there's a bit more separation from the regular season matchup.  And once the playoffs expand again, there's more separation.

I’ve had to live through how many all SEC National Championships but am supposed to care how they feel?? Lol

Had there been a playoff back in 2006-07, there may well have been a rematch. I know it was close between Florida and Michigan as to who #2 was, Michigan surely would have made a four-team playoff (though also probably been spanked by Florida).

• Haha 1

if it were up to me, i would have michigan out of the top 4 right now.  i'd definitely have tcu above them.  i'd put oregon and tennessee and usc above them too. 

michigan has played no one and intentionally chose to play no one non conference.  if they beat ohio state on the road, they can make the playoffs.  until then, they can wallow outside the top 4 with the other pansy programs who are scared to play good teams.

48 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think when you have four undefeated Power 5 teams, you shouldn’t overthink the top four teams.

i think a team that loses one game on the road to a really good team has a better resume than a team who has played cupcakes and beaten one above average team at home.  and played no one of consequence on the road.

the committee will put michigan in the top 4 for sure.  but they may be 4th.  they definitely dont deserve to be ahead of tcu.

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think a team that loses one game on the road to a really good team has a better resume than a team who has played cupcakes and beaten one above average team at home.  and played no one of consequence on the road.

the committee will put michigan in the top 4 for sure.  but they may be 4th.  they definitely dont deserve to be ahead of tcu.

TCU beat a 1-8 Colorado, something called Tarleton State, and 5-4 SMU.

UofM beat 2-7 Colorado State, 2-8 Hawaii, and 5-5 UConn.

I'm not sure one out of conference is any more impressive than the other, but that's just me.

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

Ease of victory means nothing? Michigan has won every game but one by 13 points or more.  6 of TCU's last 7 games have been decided by 10 points of less.  USC is coming off of 8 point and 7 points win over dismal Arizona and Cal in back to back weeks. 

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Why?

I think it increases the chance of getting higher playoff seeds for 2 BIg Ten teams.   Probably won't matter in a couple years when they go to 12 teams.    But the team that loses this year will be out of the playoff.  If the game was played around Columbus Day that's 6 weeks to climb back up into the playoff for the loser.      They shouldn't be in the same division either.  They can protect the rivalry game without being in the same division. 

36 minutes ago, casimir said:

TCU beat a 1-8 Colorado, something called Tarleton State, and 5-4 SMU.

UofM beat 2-7 Colorado State, 2-8 Hawaii, and 5-5 UConn.

I'm not sure one out of conference is any more impressive than the other, but that's just me.

tcu beating smu on the road is a better victory than anything michigan did non conference.

again, it is the smallest bar to reach, but they reached it.

tcu beating kansas on the road is better than any michigan road victory.  beating ok state, oklahoma, and kansas state is collectively more impressive than michigan's one good victory over penn state at home.

ymmv.

23 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ease of victory means nothing? Michigan has won every game but one by 13 points or more.  6 of TCU's last 7 games have been decided by 10 points of less.  USC is coming off of 8 point and 7 points win over dismal Arizona and Cal in back to back weeks. 

maybe it does.  but beating quality opposition matters more to me.

People talked about all these ranked teams TCU played..........but Oklahoma?  They're not good.   Kansas?  Came back to earth...........with each passing week their resume looks weaker.     But ultimately it doesn't matter if Michigan is 3 or 4.........beat Ohio State and win the Big Ten championship game against (probably) Wisconsin (boring) and you're in.   Michigan completely controls it's destiny right now.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Michigan completely controls it's destiny right now. 

and that is the only measure that counts in terms of whether they played the 'right' schedule or not. Buddha's ideal SOS  based world can't exist unless the ranking voters start putting 1/2 loss teams ahead of 0/1 loss teams. But for now they don't, so I can't knock UM for doing whatever is most likely to get them to the playoff, because that is what everyone gets paid to do.

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think it increases the chance of getting higher playoff seeds for 2 BIg Ten teams.   Probably won't matter in a couple years when they go to 12 teams.    But the team that loses this year will be out of the playoff.  If the game was played around Columbus Day that's 6 weeks to climb back up into the playoff for the loser.      They shouldn't be in the same division either.  They can protect the rivalry game without being in the same division. 

I don't think the calendar timing of a game should matter.  A win in that game is a win in that game, all other things held constant.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

If Tennessee's loss was close, I could see putting them ahead of both Michigan and TCU. Probably Ohio State too. It wasn't though. Georgia took a two-possession lead in the first quarter and it never got any closer. They coasted.

If we put Georgia on a pedestal and say they're just categorically different than all other college football teams, I can also see justification for "artificially" raising Tennessee in the rankings, Oregon too for that matter. I don't think that's the case either though, and I doubt Georgia finishes the season 15-0.

Rankings right now don't mean that much. It's not easy to go 9-0 in a power conference. I think going beyond that into evaluating SOS, relative team strength, ease of victories, and etc., has some value in a few weeks when you're comparing teams that are 11-1 and 12-1. For now though, just keep it simple. Things will figure themselves out more often than not.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

and that is the only measure that counts in terms of whether they played the 'right' schedule or not. Buddha's ideal SOS  based world can't exist unless the ranking voters start putting 1/2 loss teams ahead of 0/1 loss teams. But for now they don't, so I can't knock UM for doing whatever is most likely to get them to the playoff, because that is what everyone gets paid to do.

if michigan had scheduled ucla and beat them and then lost to osu, it would still have a shot at the final four.

now it has no chance unless it beats osu.

it went for immediate profit (only home games and no home and home series) over fan experience and credibility.  for a program that supposedly prides itself on being better than others and "above" the other schools who cheat and dont travel north, its an indication that michigan is nothing but a paper tiger and are "holier than thou" in name only.

i want michigan to take on challengers and all comers.  i want michigan that played notre dame and miami in non conference when both were top 5 teams.  that was a football program that had confidence.

not this garbage.  this is weak shit.

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

People talked about all these ranked teams TCU played..........but Oklahoma?  They're not good.   Kansas?  Came back to earth...........with each passing week their resume looks weaker.     But ultimately it doesn't matter if Michigan is 3 or 4.........beat Ohio State and win the Big Ten championship game against (probably) Wisconsin (boring) and you're in.   Michigan completely controls it's destiny right now.  

kansas and oklahoma are better than iowa, rutgers, and indiana, which are the three POWERHOUSE programs michigan has played on the road so far.