2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I also think TCU's "what about us" card finishes this weekend. Playing Texas in Austin with College Game Day in town, spells big trouble for TCU, in my opinion.

i suspect tcu will lose multiple times before the end of the season.

if they beat texas on the road, that's as good as any michigan win this season.  

The weak OOC is insulting to home game fans and, yes, it is one factor in the weak strength of schedule. But so is Iowa and Michigan State sucking so much this year.  Looking at this schedule in January, I figured Michigan had a 50/50 chance of being undefeated going into Columbus. By late September, it was pretty clear that anything less than 11-0 going into Columbus would not be acceptable.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I don't think the calendar timing of a game should matter.  A win in that game is a win in that game, all other things held constant.  

but it does.   You're right, it shouldn't.       Michigan and OSU should have had a rematch in 2006.........# 1 beats #2 by 3 points at home.................if that game had happened in October they probably would have played again. 

4 hours ago, buddha said:

kansas and oklahoma are better than iowa, rutgers, and indiana, which are the three POWERHOUSE programs michigan has played on the road so far.

Won't matter because Texas is going to beat TCU this week.    And yes, Michigan's schedule (and Ohio State's) is weak and I hate their non-comm games next year.   But until the SEC starts scheduling better teams, why should the Big Ten?  In the 12 playoff team format there should be a scheduling requirement of 1 Power Conference non-comm game.   Of course we could get excited for Alabama vs. Northwestern !    

At least Georgia had the balls to play Oregon. 

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Won't matter because Texas is going to beat TCU this week.    And yes, Michigan's schedule (and Ohio State's) is weak and I hate their non-comm games next year.   But until the SEC starts scheduling better teams, why should the Big Ten?  In the 12 playoff team format there should be a scheduling requirement of 1 Power Conference non-comm game.   Of course we could get excited for Alabama vs. Northwestern !    

At least Georgia had the balls to play Oregon. 

bama played texas too.

ohio state played notre dame.

only michigan is too much of a pussy to cancel games with big time opponents.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34981606/georgia-claims-top-spot-cfp-rankings-emphatic-win

Georgia took over the top spot in the College Football Playoff Top 25 rankings released Tuesday night, after its impressive 27-13 win over previous No. 1 Tennessee last weekend.

Meanwhile, TCU jumped three spots into the No. 4 spot headed into its big Saturday showdown at No. 18 Texas. Ohio State is No. 2 and Michigan is No. 3.

Edited by lordstanley

in harbaugh's four years playing at michigan here was their out of conference schedule:

83: washington state

at #16 washington

84: #1 miami

#16 washington

85: #13 notre dame

at #15 south carolina

#17 maryland

86: at notre dame

oregon state

#20 florida state

back when michigan had heart.

• Thanks 1

The 3 most interesting stories that I’m interested in seeing if they play out:

1) Can LSU run the table (@Ark, UAB, @A&M, UGA) and become the first 2 loss team in the playoff.

2) Can either Oregon, USC, or UCLA run the table and force their way into the playoff.  As mentioned earlier, the Oregon resume would have lasting effects on the sport if they got left out.

3) Neither 1 or 2 happens and TCU loses, how would it play out between Tennessee and the loser of the OSU/UM game for the last spot with two teams that didn’t qualify for their conference championship game.  

Fun times ahead for sure.  

15 hours ago, buddha said:

in harbaugh's four years playing at michigan here was their out of conference schedule:

83: washington state

at #16 washington

84: #1 miami

#16 washington

85: #13 notre dame

at #15 south carolina

#17 maryland

86: at notre dame

oregon state

#20 florida state

back when michigan had heart.

Are you really counting Oregon State (three wins total in 1986) as a tough opponent? 

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But now they have money...........lots and lots and lots of money.   Do you really think any of these schools care about "heart" ? 

Should strength of schedule become a determining factor to break ties, do you really think Colorado State, Hawaii, and UConn are advantageous bullet points on a resume?

16 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The 3 most interesting stories that I’m interested in seeing if they play out:

1) Can LSU run the table (@Ark, UAB, @A&M, UGA) and become the first 2 loss team in the playoff.

2) Can either Oregon, USC, or UCLA run the table and force their way into the playoff.  As mentioned earlier, the Oregon resume would have lasting effects on the sport if they got left out.

3) Neither 1 or 2 happens and TCU loses, how would it play out between Tennessee and the loser of the OSU/UM game for the last spot with two teams that didn’t qualify for their conference championship game.  

Fun times ahead for sure.  

The irony with LSU would be that they were the first and only 2 loss team to be involved in the BcS championship.  But, recalling my hatred for Brian Kelly, I would prefer Brian Kelly crawled up some rickety scaffolding in 50+ MPH winds and, oh, never mind.

As far as 2 & 3 go, it'll be fun to see how things play out.

How about this, is North Carolina out of it?  Their schedule is junk, but if they beat Clemson in the ACC championship, if TCU loses twice, does the committee take Georgia (should they win out), the B10 champion (should they win out), UNC, and a one loss PAC championship game winner?

Again to me the non conference SOS and SOS in general is overblown, what really matters is the amount of top 15 teams you face since those are teams a playoff team is most likely to lose to.

Id rather a team play 4 top 15 teams and 8 games against 1 win teams vs 13 against 6 win teams even though the latter is the "tougher" sos according to how it's graded. 

For non conference Playing and beating 3 power 5 teams ranked say 50ish vs. Destroying 3 cupcakes really doesnt change how I view a team. If Michigan decided to forego their December off and instead beat teams like Arizona, Texas Tech and Minnesota would that suddenly make them a better team since they beat 3 mediocre teams that a playoff team should beat 90% of the time? 

6 hours ago, casimir said:

The irony with LSU would be that they were the first and only 2 loss team to be involved in the BcS championship.  But, recalling my hatred for Brian Kelly, I would prefer Brian Kelly crawled up some rickety scaffolding in 50+ MPH winds and, oh, never mind.

As far as 2 & 3 go, it'll be fun to see how things play out.

How about this, is North Carolina out of it?  Their schedule is junk, but if they beat Clemson in the ACC championship, if TCU loses twice, does the committee take Georgia (should they win out), the B10 champion (should they win out), UNC, and a one loss PAC championship game winner?

UNC would not get in ahead of Tennessee, the OSU/Michigan loser, or a one-loss PAC championship game winner. They'd need to Tennessee to lose in the next 3 weeks, the OSU/Michigan loser to have lost in the next 2 weeks, and the top PAC teams to all have 2 losses.  I don't think Clemson, if they recover to win the ACC, beats out Tennessee or a one-loss PAC champion.

So many are picking Texas to win this weekend, that if TCU pulls the "upset" I can see them being placed at #3 next week ahead of Michigan.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Again to me the non conference SOS and SOS in general is overblown, what really matters is the amount of top 15 teams you face since those are teams a playoff team is most likely to lose to.

Id rather a team play 4 top 15 teams and 8 games against 1 win teams vs 13 against 6 win teams even though the latter is the "tougher" sos according to how it's graded. 

For non conference Playing and beating 3 power 5 teams ranked say 50ish vs. Destroying 3 cupcakes really doesnt change how I view a team. If Michigan decided to forego their December off and instead beat teams like Arizona, Texas Tech and Minnesota would that suddenly make them a better team since they beat 3 mediocre teams that a playoff team should beat 90% of the time? 

Yes, beating Arizona, Texas Tech, and Minnesota would show more than beating Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut.

23 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Play a tough early season opponent, sure. Lose, that's Ok. Just don't lose by 46 frickin' points.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

UNC would not get in ahead of Tennessee, the OSU/Michigan loser, or a one-loss PAC championship game winner. They'd need to Tennessee to lose in the next 3 weeks, the OSU/Michigan loser to have lost in the next 2 weeks, and the top PAC teams to all have 2 losses.  I don't think Clemson, if they recover to win the ACC, beats out Tennessee or a one-loss PAC champion.

So many are picking Texas to win this weekend, that if TCU pulls the "upset" I can see them being placed at #3 next week ahead of Michigan.

I don't know that that is necessarily true.  Their only loss was to Notre Dame (still can't square up their loss to Marshall and then beating Clemson & UNC).  They would be a power 5 champion.  They have a QB that is getting some notoriety.  They have a highly respected/regarded head coach on the back 9 of his career.

There is no objective way to fill the 4 playoff spots.  They may decide the conference championship is more valuable this year than what Tennessee did.  I think that can be debated, and I might not agree with it.  But the committee is going to do what the committee is going to do.