2022 NCAA Football Thread

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Those are good matchups.  Honestly, as a fan, aren't you more interested in seeing those games rather than vs Hawaii?  Aren't those types of matchups more appropriate as a measuring stick for what Michigan thinks it is?

The unfortunate thing with Texas & Oklahoma as future opponents is that they could end up being scrapped out of necessity due to the realignment of the B10 and SEC.  Ohio State has both Texas & Oklahoma as future opponents, too, so I've had that in the back of my mind given the shifting that has been announced.

Oh most definitely, I've always been in the camp of wanting to see tougher comp cause those are the games I enjoy most and ultimately those experiences are what I like most about watching my teams play. 

I just don't believe in holding teams accountable for their schedule unless they play cupcakes all season which doesn't really happen when playing in power conferences. Even with the BIG 10 being down this year you still gotta beat a few decent teams along with an elite one so for me that's a strong enough resume to get in unless there are 4 other undefeateds with an even better one. 

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Oh most definitely, I've always been in the camp of wanting to see tougher comp cause those are the games I enjoy most and ultimately those experiences are what I like most about watching my teams play. 

I just don't believe in holding teams accountable for their schedule unless they play cupcakes all season which doesn't really happen when playing in power conferences. Even with the BIG 10 being down this year you still gotta beat a few decent teams along with an elite one so for me that's a strong enough resume to get in unless there are 4 other undefeateds with an even better one. 

4 other undefeateds is only a problem if there are 5 undefeateds.  It is possible, but it has also never happened.  Heck, I don't think there's been a playoff quartet with 0 losses among them going into the playoffs nor have there been 4 undefeated teams heading into bowl season (rolling in the non power 5 conferences) since the advent of the playoffs.

This year there are 4.  It is guaranteed to go down to 3 (UoM at OSU).  So now there's going to be the debate over which "imperfect" team(s) gets into the playoffs, as there always is.  Just looking at OSU & UoM, I know which schedule has a better chance at the playoffs as a 1 loss team as opposed to the other team if it had 1 loss.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

other big teams do it and they do just fine.  so should michigan.

maybe if over time the program proves it's actually in the same league performance and recruiting wise they may have the confidence to do it, but look at the compliants even in this thread that they are hamstringing their recruiting by being behind the curve on NIL etc. To the degree that's true, they still aren't playing in the same league with the Georgia's and OSUs. That's leaves them them a different risk/reward calcuation in their scheduling.

Michigan fan always wants it both ways - they want to be above the fray and still be just as good. Sadly enough, in the real world it doesn't work that way.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

maybe if over time the program proves it's actually in the same league performance and recruiting wise they may have the confidence to do it, but look at the compliants even in this thread that they are hamstringing their recruiting by being behind the curve on NIL etc. To the degree that's true, they still aren't playing in the same league with the Georgia's and OSUs. That's leaves them them a different risk/reward calcuation in their scheduling.

Michigan fan always wants it both ways - they want to be above the fray and still be just as good. Sadly enough, in the real world it doesn't work that way.

ucla?????  come on.  this year notwithstanding they recruit better than 95% of the teams in the country.  they recruit better than all the pac 10 schools other than usc.  they are a top 10 recruiting school every year except this one.

that's not an excuse.  they scheduled this way on purpose because they dont want to play road games.  theyre pussies.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The PAC12 is becoming a punch line conference. The worst team in the SEC probably recruits better than 11 teams in the PAC12.

you said they may "have the confidence" to play power teams if they recruit with them.  but they have recruited better than ucla for 20 years and they still cancelled those games.

it has zero to do with recruiting and 100% to do with being scared of losing and having to play a road game.

i can almost guarantee you that michigan is dying to buy out the texas and oklahoma games.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

it has zero to do with recruiting and 100% to do with being scared of losing and having to play a road game.

they are not separate issues. You have a program that just got up off the mat for one year. I love your confidence but you  are postulating a Michigan program that fans only dream may exist after a few more defeats of OSU and trips to Indianapolis. Compare the depth at UM vs OSU. At Columbus they run through QBs like water and each one steps in and plays like the 5 star they were. If JJ goes down what do you think UM looks like? Not much I'd say. Down an interior lineman last week and the O made Rutger's D look like a real team for half a game until the D made some plays.

The program has had one year of success, still has little depth and still faces institutional uncertainty about what their role in the brave new semi-professional world is. They should be scared of losing more - they'd be fools not to be.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

they are not separate issues. You have a program that just got up off the mat for one year. I love your confidence but you  are postulating a Michigan program that fans only dream may exist after a few more defeats of OSU and trips to Indianapolis. Compare the depth at UM vs OSU. At Columbus they run through QBs like water and each one steps in and plays like the 5 star they were. If JJ goes down what do you think UM looks like? Not much I'd say. Down an interior lineman last week and the O made Rutger's D look like a real team for half a game until the D made some plays.

The program has had one year of success, still has little depth and still faces institutional uncertainty about what their role in the brave new semi-professional world is. They should be scared of losing more - they'd be fools not to be.

so why did they cancel the ucla game if they have outrecruited them for 20 years?

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

so why did they cancel the ucla game if they have outrecruited them for 20 years?

what else? mostly $$. They don't want to play non-conference games with teams that demand a H&H as long as they can find enough teams willings to come to A^2 without demanding a return date.

You can blame the fans for showing up no matter who they play and reducing the pressure to schedule better.

Edited by gehringer_2

The other thing with UCLA is that their attendance is cratering. I don't know what kind of gate deal teams make on these agreements but UCLA is averaging under 40k per game now. IDK - Maybe UCLA also made representation whens the deal was signed they couldn't keep?

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

what else? mostly $$. They don't want to play non-conference games with teams that demand a H&H as long as they can find enough teams willings to come to A^2 without demanding a return date.

You can blame the fans for showing up no matter who they play and reducing the pressure to schedule better.

ok, so it has nothing to do with recruiting.  lol 🙂

michigan used to play home and homes.  was it not about money before and suddenly under harbaugh it is all about money?

they also cancelled va tech and that was not a home and home, it was just a decent team that might beat them.

is money involved?  sure, probably.  but its more than that.  its an unwillingness to play a good team that might beat you.  its cowardice.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing with UCLA is that their attendance is cratering. I don't know what kind of gate deal teams make on these agreements but UCLA is averaging under 40k per game now. IDK - Maybe UCLA also made representation whens the deal was signed they couldn't keep?

michigan would sell out the rose bowl with ucla.  that is not in the contract and there was no representation about attendance.

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

is money involved?  sure, probably.  but its more than that.  its an unwillingness to play a good team that might beat you.

You're preaching to the chior. Cardinal and I have already stipulated they schedule not to lose. The only question is why, and there are probably a lot of answers to that.

16 hours ago, buddha said:

michigan would sell out the rose bowl with ucla.  that is not in the contract and there was no representation about attendance.

It been a few years since I've been to a Rose bowl, but unless they've made big changes, getting in an out and parking are all pretty horrible in Pasadena. Nice venue if you live walking distance away - otherwise pretty terrible. Without a few new roads and parking structures it's got problems as a regular season venue.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It been a few years since I've been to a Rose bowl, but unless they've made big changes, getting in an out and parking are all pretty horrible in Pasadena. Nice venue if you live walking distance away - otherwise pretty terrible. Without a few new roads and parking structures it's got problems as a regular season venue.

the "problem" with the rose bowl as a regular season venue is that not enough people who live in los angeles care about ucla when theyre not winning.

playing ohio state, michigan, and penn state every other year will increase their attendance exponentially.