2022 NCAA Football Thread

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was wondering how the PAC-12 would shoot itself in the foot this year. That opens the door. I'm sure one of Utah or Oregon will beat the USC/UCLA winner to give everyone in the conference two losses.

And could be as simple as USC beating UCLA and Notre Dame bearing USC. 

What a crazy night out West.  Not unexpected it all blew up, it just came a week earlier that I thought.  

USC doesn’t have the defense to win the next 3 and now they have to do it without their top RB, Travis Dye.  Not likely at all and even if they did, the upsets yesterday mean their SOS won’t get as much of a boost as previously expected.    At this point, I’m not sure I see a path for them without a lot of help.  Even as Pac-12 champ,  I don’t see a 12-1 USC getting in over a 1 loss Tennessee or the 1 loss UM/OSU loser.  

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What a crazy night out West.  Not unexpected it all blew up, it just came a week earlier that I thought.  

USC doesn’t have the defense to win the next 3 and now they have to do it without their top RB, Travis Dye.  Not likely at all and even if they did, the upsets yesterday mean their SOS won’t get as much of a boost as previously expected.    At this point, I’m not sure I see a path for them without a lot of help.  Even as Pac-12 champ,  I don’t see a 12-1 USC getting in over a 1 loss Tennessee or the 1 loss UM/OSU loser.  

It might not look likely, but some of what has happened this season ain't been likely either.

USC's loss is by 1 point at Utah.  That's not exactly shameful.  If they can put some convincing wins up against UCLA & Notre Dame, and then win the PAC championship over Utah (providing they beat Oregon next weekend). 

If UoM vs OSU is a runaway one way or the other, that could eliminate one team there.

Plus, remember, numerous pundits here have forecasted TCU to lose multiple games yet, so that's going to happen as planned, right?  I think the first one was supposed to be last night.  Oh, wait......, ooooops.

The top 4 this week will be Georgia at 1 and then some combination of Michigan, Ohio State, and TCU to fill out 2 through 4 in some order.  Tennessee and USC lurk in some order of 5/6.  The only thing that we know for sure is that Michigan at OSU will be a result to possibly shuffle things around assuming they both win next weekend.

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree that a blowout in the OSU/UM game likely dooms the loser.    I’m chalking in TCU to the playoff.  I think they get it done.     USC defense is just not very good.  I don’t see how it holds up against good offenses. 

unimpressed with UM receiving core and secondary. The team is good at what they do but vulnerable because of those weaknesses. The possibility of a rout exists with a strongly biased running team because if they do get behind a couple of scores, it can easily cascade. I think that and home field make an OSU blowout a better bet than a UM blowout. Of course what could save it for UM would be bad weather.

I have to tip my hat to TCU. I was definitely one who thought they wouldn't win yesterday. They don't have an easy road of it though, as 6-4 Baylor on the road after that win against Texas is an obvious let-down game, and the Big 12 Championship likely against Kansas State would be no joke either. I'm not sold on them, but credit where credit is due. They might do it.

I think 11-1 Tennessee will in all likelihood be valued above 11-1 Michigan or Ohio State. I can't be mad about that either when you see their victories over LSU and Alabama. There aren't games of comparison on any B1G schedule... In order for the loser of Michigan/OSU to still make it, I think you're likely going to need Tennessee to lose to South Carolina or Vanderbilt (unlikely), OR for all of these to happen:

1. TCU to lose a game

2. USC to lose a game (I'm not sold on them either, but USC is USC, and they will make the playoff if the CFP committee can justify it)

3. Georgia to win the SEC

If those three things happen, I think you'll see (1) Georgia, (2) UM/OSU Winner, (3) Tennessee, (4) UM/OSU Loser... Truly make it the Power 2 Conferences.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

Pac 12 shot itself in the foot yesterday. 

New standings will probably be............

1 - Georgia

2 - Ohio State

3 - Michigan

4 - TCU

5 - Tennessee

6 - LSU

7 - USC

8 - Alabama

9 - Clemson

10 - Utah

Don't look now but Notre Dame is probably going to be about #16 Tuesday, and Alabama & Clemson still have a way in..

Edited by Motor City Sonics

On 11/11/2022 at 6:25 PM, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing with UCLA is that their attendance is cratering. I don't know what kind of gate deal teams make on these agreements but UCLA is averaging under 40k per game now. IDK - Maybe UCLA also made representation whens the deal was signed they couldn't keep?

They are taking off 2 of the tarps they normally use to cover seats.  

30 minutes ago, casimir said:

TCU survives at Baylor.  Some questionable play calling on its last couple of plays and sent the FG team out with the clock running and not much time to spare.

You would think their luck will run out eventually. Running out of time for the clock to strike midnight though. Home against 4-6 Iowa State and then the Big 12 Championship, which will probably be a rematch against Kansas State.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You would think their luck will run out eventually. Running out of time for the clock to strike midnight though. Home against 4-6 Iowa State and then the Big 12 Championship, which will probably be a rematch against Kansas State.

Maybe they’re just good this season.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Impossible! 😉 

I wouldn’t have guessed them to be undefeated still.  But at some point, you gotta throw out your earlier biases and premonitions and acknowledge what they’ve accomplished.

Going back to a few posts above, yes, there usually is a degree of luck involved for teams that are still undefeated at this point.  But they’ve taken advantage of that luck, so kudos to them.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I wouldn’t have guessed them to be undefeated still.  But at some point, you gotta throw out your earlier biases and premonitions and acknowledge what they’ve accomplished.

Going back to a few posts above, yes, there usually is a degree of luck involved for teams that are still undefeated at this point.  But they’ve taken advantage of that luck, so kudos to them.

I agree. A team doesn't get to 11-0 by luck alone. They've definitely proven me wrong.

I think Georgia would smoke them in a playoff game in a similar way Bama did MSU on their magical run. But Georgia would smoke the vast majority of FBS teams in a playoff game, and I'm not going to wait for them to lose a 13-0 vs. 13-0 game to plant a flag and say "see they suck I told you!"

19 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree. A team doesn't get to 11-0 by luck alone. They've definitely proven me wrong.

I think Georgia would smoke them in a playoff game in a similar way Bama did MSU on their magical run. But Georgia would smoke the vast majority of FBS teams in a playoff game, and I'm not going to wait for them to lose a 13-0 vs. 13-0 game to plant a flag and say "see they suck I told you!"

Well, and there’s something I hate about our sports culture.  Georgia could smoke someone in a playoff game and the team that loses will declared as “sucks”.  Sucks?  They’re the #4 team in the nation and will be declared as “sucks” if they lose decisively.  They’ll have the 4th best resume (and I understand there is sometimes debate on this, just set it aside for now) and have the misfortune of one bad game and then be discarded as some 4th best team in the MAC West.  Makes no sense.

• Like 1