2022 NCAA Football Thread

44 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Stanford wants him they’ll have to move quickly. I wouldn’t expect him to decide before the Celebration Bowl anyway though.

lol.  deion sanders?  at STANFORD?  come on...deion is shady af.  he is noy going to be on stanford's radar even if he is black.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

fickell would be the perfect hire for wisconsin.  the only question being whether he would hold out for osu.

but the "ryan day to the nfl" garbage will certainly have died down a bit a now...

If Schlissel had gotten himself canned a year earlier and Harbaugh had jumped back to the NFL, Fickell could have followed Ono to Michigan. alt.history.edu

🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, buddha said:

"born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" is a very accurate description.

i still cant believe he punted in michigan territory down 4 in the third quarter.

I couldn’t believe it either.

That team played like crap yesterday.  The coaching was absolute crap yesterday.  Are we sure John Cooper wasn’t running the show yesterday?  I’m not saying Ohio State should/would have won the game with a better showing, but it’d have been nice to look coherent.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

That team played like crap yesterday.  The coaching was absolute crap yesterday.  Are we sure John Cooper wasn’t running the show yesterday?  I’m not saying Ohio State should/would have won the game with a better showing, but it’d have been nice to look coherent.

his D got a good number of stops in the 1st half. If you think you are going to get stops you can play field position. If he had gotten them he probably wouldn't be getting criticized so much in hindsight.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

ohio state totally outplayed michigan in the first half.  they stuffed michigan and made them play a different game.  the disappointment for osu was their inability to get more than 20 on the board and the missed tackle on the first touchdown.  

but the second half was really a repeat of last year, the difference being edwards' speed versus haskins last year.  and osu's "adjustment" of running cover 0 backfiring on them with the two long runs.

if michigan is going to play a deep shell defense  osu is going to need to start playing some power running football, take advantage of michigan the way they take advantage of osu.  but we'll see, that doesnt seem to be in day's dna and his fancy pants passing offense.

"osu is soft" is just a media narrative, but there is a little bit of truth to it.  i dont think the players are any less "tough" than michigan's players, i think osu's coach is weak and played scared.  

otoh, michigan had started to move the ball in its preferred way in the second half.  jj's running made a huge difference.  michigan was getting five and six yards a carry in the third quarter and bleeding the clock.  i think edwards' two long runs were osu realizing they needed to do something drastic to stop them so they went to cover zero and moved everyone up to the box, daring michigan to throw late knowing they werent likely to do it.

and it backfired.

but i'm not sure they had a choice.  they werent able to stop michigan's running in the second half like they did in the first.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think osu's coach is weak and played scared. 

it's funny, you mentioned them not sticking to the inside running game, but you see coaches fall into the "it's not enough" trap  with stuff that is actually working  all the time. Harbaugh not the least in his 1st couple years was constantly going away from whatever was working. Nature of the beast I think.

It's a constant trade off with trying to stay unpredictable.

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

fickell would be the perfect hire for wisconsin.  the only question being whether he would hold out for osu.

but the "ryan day to the nfl" garbage will certainly have died down a bit a now...

Luke is 0-1 vs. Michigan.  He will never get the OSU job.    

Stanford's next head coach will be.............Nathaniel Hackett

1 hour ago, buddha said:

lol.  deion sanders?  at STANFORD?  come on...deion is shady af.  he is noy going to be on stanford's radar even if he is black.

It would be a shocking move, no doubt. I wouldn't put money on it either but I wouldn't rule it out. Stanford normally plays it safe with their hires, but he would inject livelihood into that program, university, and donor base that hasn't been seen since Harbaugh... Notably, Harbaugh was the last external hire that Stanford has made for the football program.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It would be a shocking move, no doubt. I wouldn't put money on it either but I wouldn't rule it out. Stanford normally plays it safe with their hires, but he would inject livelihood into that program, university, and donor base that hasn't been seen since Harbaugh... Notably, Harbaugh was the last external hire that Stanford has made for the football program.

deion is a scam artist with more skeletons in his closet than you can shake a stick at.  i dont see that happening at all.

the fact that there is a report that colorado offered him its job says a lot more about how colorado has hit rock bottom.  

stanford is like michigan: old, traditional, fuddy duddys.  if stanford is going to "take a chance" on somebody to reinvigorate their program, i'd put mike hart higher on that list than deion sanders.  i'd say bienemy but he has too many skeletons too (which is probably why colorado didnt consider him).

is it the same AD that hired harbaugh?  maybe they ask him who he recommends?  most likely they consult with shaw and get someone he recommends.

whomever it is, i doubt they bring any neon with them.  that just doesnt seem to be stanford's style.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

ohio state totally outplayed michigan in the first half.  they stuffed michigan and made them play a different game.  the disappointment for osu was their inability to get more than 20 on the board and the missed tackle on the first touchdown.  

but the second half was really a repeat of last year, the difference being edwards' speed versus haskins last year.  and osu's "adjustment" of running cover 0 backfiring on them with the two long runs.

if michigan is going to play a deep shell defense  osu is going to need to start playing some power running football, take advantage of michigan the way they take advantage of osu.  but we'll see, that doesnt seem to be in day's dna and his fancy pants passing offense.

"osu is soft" is just a media narrative, but there is a little bit of truth to it.  i dont think the players are any less "tough" than michigan's players, i think osu's coach is weak and played scared.  

Henderson was out and Williams has been oft hurt.  Trayanum was productive, especially considering he had all of 1 carry heading into the game.  Hayden, …. did I miss where he was injured, or did he just leave?  He’d been 3rd string and gotten plenty of work with the injuries to Henderson and Williams.

I think Day ignored the running too much in the 2nd half and those calls to punt were coaching to not lose rather than coaching to win.  Credit to Michigan for keeping the passing game in front of them.  There were some plays where Stroud had plenty of time to throw, but Michigan’s coverage was up to the task.  And as was discussed where we were, since Stroud isn’t a threat to run, there was nothing there to force Michigan to keep a spy on him and reduce either the rush or the coverage.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

deion is a scam artist with more skeletons in his closet than you can shake a stick at.  i dont see that happening at all.

the fact that there is a report that colorado offered him its job says a lot more about how colorado has hit rock bottom.  

stanford is like michigan: old, traditional, fuddy duddys.  if stanford is going to "take a chance" on somebody to reinvigorate their program, i'd put mike hart higher on that list than deion sanders.  i'd say bienemy but he has too many skeletons too (which is probably why colorado didnt consider him).

is it the same AD that hired harbaugh?  maybe they ask him who he recommends?  most likely they consult with shaw and get someone he recommends.

whomever it is, i doubt they bring any neon with them.  that just doesnt seem to be stanford's style.

I'll preface my response by saying that you are probably right as it relates to Deion.

But... when Harbaugh was hired by Stanford, he wasn't some sure thing, or even universally praised. He was the 4th coach (the 3rd hire) for Stanford in the span of 5 years. He was a relatively successful I-AA coach at the University of San Diego who was on probation for a DUI. He had interviewed for the Tulane job and didn't get it. That didn't stop them from taking the gamble. They're in a vastly different place now than they were then (thanks to Harbaugh and Shaw), but they need another Harbaugh-like insurgence to bring them into the modern era of college football.

I agree that Stanford is very similar to Michigan, but I don't that precludes surprise or out-there coaching hires. Juwan Howard wasn't really on anyone's radar when Michigan hired him for instance. That's worked out... at least some of the time.

To answer your question though, Bernard Muir is not the same AD. Muir promoted Shaw to the position when Harbaugh went to the NFL. The AD that hired Harbaugh to Stanford was actually Bob Bowlsby, the current Big 12 Commissioner. Shaw and Harbaugh are tight though, and if Shaw is asked for his network's assistance, Harbaugh would almost certainly be asked his opinions. 

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'll preface my response by saying that you are probably right as it relates to Deion.

But... when Harbaugh was hired by Stanford, he wasn't some sure thing, or even universally praised. He was the 4th coach (the 3rd hire) for Stanford in the span of 5 years. He was a relatively successful I-AA coach at the University of San Diego who was on probation for a DUI. He had interviewed for the Tulane job and didn't get it. That didn't stop them from taking the gamble. They're in a vastly different place now than they were then (thanks to Harbaugh and Shaw), but they need another Harbaugh-like insurgence to bring them into the modern era of college football.

I agree that Stanford is very similar to Michigan, but I don't that precludes surprise or out-there coaching hires. Juwan Howard wasn't really on anyone's radar when Michigan hired him for instance. That's worked out... at least some of the time.

To answer your question though, Bernard Muir is not the same AD. Muir promoted Shaw to the position when Harbaugh went to the NFL. The AD that hired Harbaugh to Stanford was actually Bob Bowlsby, the current Big 12 Commissioner. Shaw and Harbaugh are tight though, and if Shaw is asked for his network's assistance, Harbaugh would almost certainly be asked his opinions. 

juwan howard was an alum.  i'm not sure deion could spell stanford, much less get in.

if they wanted to go that route, richard sherman would be a more likely choice.  he actually went there (although he has as much baggage in his closet too).

i would bet on someone with ties to stanford looking for a promotion.  but if i were an up and coming coach i wouldnt touch stanford.  they have the same problems as michigan with the new world of nil and transfers.

just as an aside, if i were michigan, i would definitely be sniffing around any stanford potential transfers.  that's one school even snooty michigan admissions people would give equal credit for grades.