2022 NCAA Football Thread

23 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

One name on the Stanford speculation list that jumps out at me is Bronco Mendenhall. I don't know his reason for leaving UVa after 2021 but he did a good job in reviving that program. He also had success at BYU. 

ive seen his name mentioned too.

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham is taking the job at ASU.  The top player in the state, Detroit King QB Donte Moore, has been a longtime Duck commit.     There had been rumblings recently that MSU was making up ground in turning him.   This will be interesting to watch as State desperately needs him.    

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham is taking the job at ASU.  The top player in the state, Detroit King QB Donte Moore, has been a longtime Duck commit.     There had been rumblings recently that MSU was making up ground in turning him.   This will be interesting to watch as State desperately needs him.    

so i guess state didnt use all their money on a failed head coach?  they have some left over to try to pay moore.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

fickell would be the perfect hire for wisconsin.  the only question being whether he would hold out for osu.

but the "ryan day to the nfl" garbage will certainly have died down a bit a now...

Is the NFL job in accounting or concierge desk security?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Auburn missed out on Luke Fickell and potentially Lane Kiffin with the latter opting to stay at Ole Miss. Rumor is now that they are looking at hiring Hugh Freeze. I think putting Freeze back in a big time SEC program like Auburn has disaster written all over it.

trading short term success for a long term disaster is the definition of auburn.

So the 4 teams should be known as of late Friday night, early Saturday morning, right?  USC wins and they're in at 4.  USC loses and maybe there's a bit of a debate.  But USC's previous loss wasn't atrocious and their common win over Notre Dame is better in comparison vs Ohio State, so they've got those bullet points in their favor.

Georgia, Michigan, and TCU are in regardless of reasonable outcomes in their respective championship games.  Its possible that they lose or look poor in a win, but they're in regardless.  From there its just a matter of who matches up with whom, and which game is at what time.

There cannot be any other way to look at it, can there?  Or am I overestimating the committee?

15 hours ago, buddha said:

trading short term success for a long term disaster is the definition of auburn.

Weirdly, the ROTC officers I've worked with who graduated from that program have been pretty solid people.  Otherwise you would think that any institution that followed their template would produce crack heads. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Weirdly, the ROTC officers I've worked with who graduated from that program have been pretty solid people.  Otherwise you would think that any institution that followed their template would produce crack heads. 

i worked with some southern lawyers who went to auburn and they were all solid guys.  southern universities get a bad rap in the north because we like to make fun of the south, but theyre pretty solid folks, imo.

that said, the sec has been such a hotbed of cheating and corruption for so long, its hard not to look askance at their universities that are associated with those programs.

(and sec fans are so effing annoying)

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

i worked with some southern lawyers who went to auburn and they were all solid guys.  southern universities get a bad rap in the north because we like to make fun of the south, but theyre pretty solid folks, imo.

that said, the sec has been such a hotbed of cheating and corruption for so long, its hard not to look askance at their universities that are associated with those programs.

(and sec fans are so effing annoying)

There are certain major corruption issues:  e.g., Brett Favre's welfare money.  The idea that they would deviate money from athletics to hard science or things that could help humanity is ludicrous. 

The big thing to look for in the reveal tonight is who is at 5 since you would presume that team would be the one to get in if any of the top 4 have stumbles this weekend and drop out. 

Of course if it's OSU then you would think that locks UM in cause even if they were to lose to Purdue the committee wouldn't put OSU ahead of them. 

4 hours ago, casimir said:

So the 4 teams should be known as of late Friday night, early Saturday morning, right?  USC wins and they're in at 4.  USC loses and maybe there's a bit of a debate.  But USC's previous loss wasn't atrocious and their common win over Notre Dame is better in comparison vs Ohio State, so they've got those bullet points in their favor.

I think this is true barring any surprises tonight. If it's (1) Georgia, (2) Michigan, (3) TCU, (4) USC, (5) Ohio State, and (6) Alabama, as expected, I think this is true. If they inexplicably put Ohio State above USC, then there will be some question of whether a USC win against Utah will bump them above a one-loss Ohio State.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Georgia, Michigan, and TCU are in regardless of reasonable outcomes in their respective championship games.  Its possible that they lose or look poor in a win, but they're in regardless.  From there its just a matter of who matches up with whom, and which game is at what time.

There cannot be any other way to look at it, can there?  Or am I overestimating the committee?

There can’t be any other way.  

The only thing, and this is so far outside the box that it won’t happen, is if the committee decides to negate much of the damage of the UM loss on the Bucks being without injured JSN and Henderson and also assuming they would both be able to return for the playoff.  

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The big thing to look for in the reveal tonight is who is at 5 since you would presume that team would be the one to get in if any of the top 4 have stumbles this weekend and drop out. 

Of course if it's OSU then you would think that locks UM in cause even if they were to lose to Purdue the committee wouldn't put OSU ahead of them. 

Michigan is already locked in. 

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Michigan is already locked in. 

I think so too but I just never know how to read the committee and how they would react to a certain game. I know they factor in injuries so if we were to lose and God forbid suffer a major injury to JJ, Edwards along with Corrum perhaps that may deter them from putting them in.

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There can’t be any other way.  

The only thing, and this is so far outside the box that it won’t happen, is if the committee decides to negate much of the damage of the UM loss on the Bucks being without injured JSN and Henderson and also assuming they would both be able to return for the playoff.  

At the same time, UoM was working without Corum at OSU, so there's that if they are really digging deeply into scenarios of each game.

I guess another way to look at it is, what does USC need to do to play itself out of the playoffs?  Can they lose on Friday, and if so, what is the threshold of that margin or quality of play during the game?

Well, OK, and then I suppose if USC does win, there's a question of seeding based on Saturday's results.