The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Math....

I don't know that this is completely true.  The "anti Trump" candidate, Matt Dolan, followed a lot of Trump's platform, but wouldn't fall in line with the whole stolen election falsehood.  The complete Trump lapdogs (JD Vance, Josh Mandel, Mike Gibbons, Jane Timken) garnered around over 70% of the R vote.  I highly doubt Ryan can win easily barring some unforeseen event such as Vance reversing course and again going against Trump which could cause chaos among the TRs.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know that this is completely true.  The "anti Trump" candidate, Matt Dolan, followed a lot of Trump's platform, but wouldn't fall in line with the whole stolen election falsehood.  The complete Trump lapdogs (JD Vance, Josh Mandel, Mike Gibbons, Jane Timken) garnered around over 70% of the R vote.  I highly doubt Ryan can win easily barring some unforeseen event such as Vance reversing course and again going against Trump which could cause chaos among the TRs.

Ryan would maybe have a chance if he won a bunch of Dolan voters, but that's not how any of this works. Especially in this kinda midterm 

Edited by mtutiger

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Ryan would maybe have a chance if he won a bunch of Dolan voters, but that's not how any of this works. Especially in this kinda midterm 

As the saying goes. Democrats fall in love, Trumpublicans fall in line. Most just vote party not the person.

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

tells you that crap candidates lose even with the wind at their backs.  Also, taking away fundamental rights from voters isn't good politics.

I dont know how much the news about Roe factored in considering how it had only been known less than 24 hours before, but it's also a reminder of the minefield a post-Roe landscape could be for R candidates tho.

If that happens, all of these candidates are inevitably going to be asked questions about that issue, along with who should be punished, whether there should be exceptions for rape and incest, etc. 

Lot of opportunities for extreme candidates to fuck up and say something ridiculous 

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I dont know how much the news about Roe factored in considering how it had only been known less than 24 hours before, but it's also a reminder of the minefield a post-Roe landscape could be for R candidates tho.

If that happens, all of these candidates are inevitably going to be asked questions about that issue, along with who should be punished, whether there should be exceptions for rape and incest, etc. 

Ds had themselves convinced in April that the country was a dying husk spinning off into the darkest part of the galaxy away from the sun.  I think with the more Trump candidates who win the primaries and with the Roe matter they stand to benefit.  They just need to recruit sane candidates. 

Edited by romad1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Honestly, Hillary Clinton has gotten a little edgier since she lost. I wish we would have seen that edgy version on the campaign trail. 

an authentic Hillary Clinton?  That was not on offer when it mattered.  

I kinda want to expand on a point that I made to buddha in the SCOTUS thread (this is a better venue for it), but one thing that Roe reversal could end up doing is undercutting Republican talking points on parental choice; as we are all aware, this was a big theme in the Virginia/NJ elections in 2021 and a big part of messaging, particularly around education and schools.

Well, Roe V. Wade is an example of a choice that had been given to parents as well (back in 1972), and more often than people realize, this is a choice that often is made by those who are already parents (for a variety of reasons). And Republicans, both through reversal of Roe and the subsequent campaigning for legislation in states where laws aren't on the books, get to campaign on taking choices away.

Again, I don't know that the degree that it will have an impact, but it will... and a lot of Rs seem to be wishcasting that nothing about this matters.

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It may not mean anything, but the Leelanau County board flipped to Democratic majority for the first time in history. The Traverse City area is getting just slightly more purple.

Leelanau County board flips in recall vote | News | record-eagle.com

From the article:

The recall was placed on the ballot after 663 signatures were collected on recall petitions. It was spurred by Bunek’s effort to zero out an Early Childhood Services millage passed by voters in 2019. Bunek defended his actions by saying that when voters make a wrong decision it is the county board’s job to correct it.

I'll take "How To Lose My Office" for $500, Mayim...

Edited by mtutiger

The Bunek's that I knew in that area always had a little tendency to be out there. All the kids attended the Catholic school in Leelanau County, very vocal about their beliefs, , occasionally confrontational on the matter, etc.

On another note, I'm amused by the statement later in the article discussing the millage for Leland PS. It references school buildings, plural. That's a very loose interpretation of the plurality unless something has changed since I went there.....one building, K through 12. I believe they added some temporary classrooms on the noth end of the building shortly after I left, which could result in the plural, but interesting nonetheless.