The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

On 11/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

I had trouble sleeping last night.  I am very worried.     Michael Moore has been pretty accurate in recent years and he still says a blue wave and I hope he's right.       

Then you probably don't want to hear that even if there is a blue wave this year, Republicans are patiently playing the long game until they do win, and whether it's 2022, 2024, 28, 32, or whenever it is, once they do, they'll kill off democracy as we know it and replace with democracy as autocrats play-act it.

Now, potential lemonade out of lemons: assuming R takes the House, and even the Senate, if they spend the next two years doing nothing but investigating Hunter Biden, impeaching Joe Biden et al, and continuing the attempt or success at eroding our rights, that might set up D for a pretty solid victory in 2024. That might give us at least a few more years of relatively sane government that's being checked and balanced.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All these polls are just soup at this point. Just rip off the goddamn band-aid already.

I've stopped going to the usual news and opinion sources until this is over.  I know what I am fighting against (metaphorically) and potentially literally. 

48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All these polls are just soup at this point. Just rip off the goddamn band-aid already.

We've talked about all this before, but it's interesting to look at it from a slightly different perspective. If the land line telephone had never been invented in way it was, would we ever had even had accurate political polling? When you think about it, the landline phone as initially invented (i.e., no caller ID, no answering machines, regional numbering, no robo calling) was extremely unique in that it demanded that you answer it in a way that no device before or after has. So maybe we look at it a little backward and shouldn't assume there is any reason for population polling to be accurate given the essential dissappearance of the single technology that made it possible in the first place. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Since Dobbs, every election has favored Democrats, voter registration has favored Democrats, polls have moved in the Democrats favor, and early vote has favored Democrats. The only thing favoring Republicans so far is it's what's supposed to happen. 

Right. Well, that and lawmaking designed to suppress tourout.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Me too. If for nothing else, then to see the media have to eat a bunch of shit and walk back all of their red tsunami talk for months and months.

I know that I've been on the other side of the "we expect to win but wtf happened" narrative a couple times.   Late shifts hurt in 2016 and 2020.    I was shocked by the late move to the Ds in 2000 for sure.   Thought W had that one locked up.