The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

Did anyone see where some jackass in Wisconsin pulled a knife out at a library voting precinct?   He wanted to stop the voting -- and it did get stopped for 30 minutes.   There were kids there with their parents too.   He had previously just been arrested for posting racist and threatening flyers around West Bend, WI that threatened Democratic candidates.    Wow, quite a surprise there. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

In some ways, I kind of want the Republicans to have a 2-3 seat majority because it is going to be a complete clown show. With an only 2-3 seat advantage, I don't think they would have enough votes for impeachment or sham investigations.

but they'll likely block anything Biden tries to do, even if it was their idea first..................

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

In some ways, I kind of want the Republicans to have a 2-3 seat majority because it is going to be a complete clown show. With an only 2-3 seat advantage, I don't think they would have enough votes for impeachment or sham investigations.

Rs will be lucky to be able to appoint a damn speaker of the house with a 2-3 seat majority.

One thing I've been thinking about, if polls were off on Democratic support, doesn't stand to reason they are off on Biden's approval rating? I just don't think he is as unpopular as people make him out to be. We are seeing the flag waving mouth breathers are loud but a minority that get outsized attention. A lot of polls also list soft support such as somewhat approve as disapproving. I don't know that he has the kind of hatred against as Trump does.

51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

One thing I've been thinking about, if polls were off on Democratic support, doesn't stand to reason they are off on Biden's approval rating? I just don't think he is as unpopular as people make him out to be. We are seeing the flag waving mouth breathers are loud but a minority that get outsized attention. A lot of polls also list soft support such as somewhat approve as disapproving. I don't know that he has the kind of hatred against as Trump does.

I wouldn't doubt this is true but I think it has as much to do with the current Zeitgeist. The culture celebrates a sort of faux discontent attitude today - and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. It's no better or worse than the Gary Cooper never say anything bothers you attitude of the 1930's but it is different. So I think when you ask a superficial question like the President's approval, you are just more likey to get a snap 'it's horrible!' kind of response, because that's our social skew for everything today. But when someone goes into to cast a vote, that is not the controlling logic.

So I would put as just another case like the change in phone tech and usage, where the cultural assumptions that have underlain the polling industry are shifting under their feet. Just because you are asking the same question that you did 40 yrs ago doesn't mean the question signifies the same meaning to the listener.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Rs will be lucky to be able to appoint a damn speaker of the house with a 2-3 seat majority.

I had a fever dream last night that a moderate Republican threw his/ her hat into the Speaker ring (of fire) with the stated position that they are rejecting the Freedom Caucus and looking for moderate Dems to align with...

And I didn't even partake of any of MCS's edibles last night either...

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

How do things go if the House majority keeps flipping back and forth as resignations, deaths, special elections go down.

yeah - just like that. In a perfect world a middle majority of folks from both parties could coalesce and elect an outside non-partisan speaker - the Speaker need not be a member of the House, (maybe a retired Federal judge for instance..), but I'd rate the chances of that too close to zero to worry about.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Its more about  A - Abortion rights and B - Keeping the kooks out  than it was about Biden.      Biden rarely makes it about Biden and it works for him.