The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

I am of the impression that at least 90% of the people that post here are supporting Democrats, but how many of you were Republicans or Independents in the past - and was it Trump or were  you already changing.    Usually people get more conservative as they get older...............Just wondering, because it seems odd that a baseball/sports sight would be so seemingly lopsided.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am of the impression that at least 90% of the people that post here are supporting Democrats, but how many of you were Republicans or Independents in the past - and was it Trump or were  you already changing.    Usually people get more conservative as they get older...............Just wondering, because it seems odd that a baseball/sports sight would be so seemingly lopsided.  

It was Trump, but also this board that swung me around. I’m still not fully on board with the Dems agenda, but I’d take almost any Dem over almost any Repub these days. 

13 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

It was Trump, but also this board that swung me around. I’m still not fully on board with the Dems agenda, but I’d take almost any Dem over almost any Repub these days. 

I don't know what I would do if some crazy extremist Democrat took over the party.   We haven't really had that, or really been close to it (in my opinion), but I could never see myself supporting Republicans.   I haven't always voted for the Democrat..........I could not vote for Robert Ficano........ever, so I filled in a third party, knowing Ficano would win anyway.   This year under one of the Judge slots I wrote in my own name, because there was only 1 candidate.......what's the point of even voting then?  

I got the sense some people in here started moving away from them even before Trump.  

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know how many post in the political forum so I don't know how many 90% would be, but I think that's probably close.  I would be curious of the numbers though.

Just wondering, because it seems odd that a baseball/sports sight would be so seemingly lopsided.  

I remember (going back to the old board) when there were plenty of non-democrats, but they have disappeared.  I wonder why?

Edited by Screwball

17 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I don't know how many post in the political forum so I don't know how many 90% would be, but I think that's probably close.  I would be curious of the numbers though.

I remember (going back to the old board) when there were plenty of non-democrats, but they have disappeared.  I wonder why?

I can't blame folks for not wasting their time coming here defending the completely and totally indefensible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Insightful question.

McCain’s choosing Sarah Palin did me in. GW Bush was hard enough to take seriously. Ever since Palin it’s been a parade of clowns from the GOP.

We’ll see if we’ve hit bottom yet.

48 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I remember thinking this was a pretty conservative board at one point.  I tend to be liberal, but I don't support any party and am not very knowledgeable about politics, so I didn't comment much back then.   Three things happened when Trump came along:

(1) Some of the smarter conservatives left because Trump is a nut job and a fraud and not really a conservative but rather an egomaniac who is incapable of thinking beyond himself. They couldn't defend him and they still disliked the other side, so there was nothing left for them,  

(2) A few people started becoming more liberal for various reasons 

(3) Most of the conservatives who actually supported Trump were just trolls who didn't contribute anything.  Thus they were chased away.

I think if the Republican party drops Trump and gets back to talking serious issues again, you'll see some conservatives return and there might be good debates again.  

Another thing that happened is that this site became more sabermetrics oriented and in my experience it seems that conservatives tend to be less interested in sabermetrics. (And yes Edman , I know there are exceptions!) Thus, it might be that some people left because they didn't like the sports discussion as opposed to not liking the politics.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

FIFTY! 

Isn't the 3rd party guy that was on the GA ballot a libertarian? Hard to figure that between that and the fact the GOP can't win the Chamber in the special election should give Warnock the edgs, but then again, I though Abrams had a shot in GA this time that that didn't fly.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Isn't the 3rd party guy that was on the GA ballot a libertarian? Hard to figure that between that and the fact the GOP can't win the Chamber in the special election should give Warnock the edgs, but then again, I though Abrams had a shot in GA this time that that didn't fly.

Remember,  Kemp stood up to Trump, despite a lot of political and personal threats.   I think that won over the middle.  I think a lot of people in the center thought what Trump did after the election was an attack on Georgia.     Walker is handpicked by Trump and Trump's probably gonna say a lot more crazy shit as people continue to blame him 

48 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think if the Republican party drops Trump and gets back to talking serious issues again, you'll see some conservatives return and there might be good debates again.  

They only way they can drop him is when he drops for good -- The Big Sleep.     He's not going away and his echo will continue to reverberate in the primaries.......even after he's gone.   Some of his supporters will likely get crazier.  I'm surprised at the lack of violence, actually.   But it's early.    

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why would a more moderate Republican stick their neck out and do something like that? They saw what happened to Liz Cheney and Peter Meijer. It is almost certain to be an automatic loss in the primary election to a MAGA, Trump-backed candidate. While Trump's power in a general election has evaporated, this election cycle still proved he has primary power. 

A few issues/ questions:

1) Do the Moderate/ Establishment Republicans want to to take back their party from MAGA Republicans? Now is the time to do it. Trumpublicans got nearly wiped out this cycle. Republicans all over the map are bashing Trump. Donors included... Do moderate Republicans wanna make a Power Move? Nominate a centrist Republican for Speaker and whip Dems to see if they'll climb on board for a vote. Nominate a centrist/ moderate Republican and I bet nearly 100% of Dems will back his/ her candidacy. Better being tied in the middle and repudiating McCarthy/ MTG and that ilk... and attempt to bring back sanity to the party. Now is the time to take that chance. Just my 2 cents.

2) Don't face voters again for 2 years. That's time to not fall under the sway of the Crazies/ MAGA/ QAnon crap... Legislate instead of investigate... And have the time to allow for Trump's complete and total fall from grace (he is already WELL on his way)/ figure out a way to keep or hold onto MAGA while Trump drifts off into Purgatory (no easy task)/ as well as the time to create some kind of future direction that Republicans can sell to AMERICANS and not just MAGA. 

But that's just me...

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Independent since 1990. Due to hindsight review of Reagan and deciding he wasn't so terrible after all. Was extremely liberal in college before that...

95% still caucus with Dems. Not too many Republican votes but I've had a few. Including a key one I made in 2004 on ethical grounds that... I may have made a mistake on...

Trump is a fucking pig. Scum. Lying POS who F's people over for a living. Corrupt/ amoral to his marrow. A fascist scumbag through and through. And he's been that way for over 40+ years. I hate him. I've always hated him. I will never NOT hate him. And he opened up Pandora's Fascist White Trash Bigoted Republicans Box.

I'm in a fight to the death in trying to keep my Democracy and not have it MAGA-handed over to Trump's wannabe fascist dictatorship.

Thank you everyone who voted against this POS and any of his lying fascist followers.

As a white almost 60 y.o. male, I want to say a thank you to all the women, young kids, and POC that have helped save this country from Trump's fascism. A special kudos to ALL of you!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Netnerd said:

Insightful question.

McCain’s choosing Sarah Palin did me in. GW Bush was hard enough to take seriously. Ever since Palin it’s been a parade of clowns from the GOP.

We’ll see if we’ve hit bottom yet.

I grew up in a conservative household in one of the most conservative parts of Michigan (The Thumb). My first ballot was in 2006, straight Republican except for Debbie Stabenow. Including Dick DeVos, who is now antithetical to my views.

My politics were already evolving, but the birther stuff was when I more or less wrote off the GOP. Not surprisingly, Trump was central to all of that, and to me it serves as foreshadowing for where our politics have ended up: conspiracy ridden and uncivil.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

At one time, GOP had a sober grown up faction.  W Bush and Mitt Romney were part of that.  You might have had policy arguments against that and I could respect that.  

• 9/11 and the GWOT became a patriotism hammer for lazy pols. 
  • Fox and other Conservative media used that hammer against all dems
  • Citizens United gave the plutocrats way too much power
  • The digital economy gave plutocrats way too much money
  • Putin got himself a bunch of influence agents by giving the NRA, etc. a lot of money
  • The NRA pushed an extreme agenda and had to keep pushing that to avoid being called squishes by more extreme elements.
  • The confluence of all the above put Trump, a super clown who appealed to the wrestling and meat head PED snakeoil crowd as the head of the GOP when many decent alternates existed (although not/not Ted MF Cruz).  Trump was dangerously inept.  Could not identify the nuclear triad.  Maybe it was best he could not
  • Trump followed the torch-lit mob and would not correct the mob's excesses.  He was way too into the TV spectacle.

I still think Hillary Clinton was and is a terrible candidate and I bet Obama didn't trust her as far as he could toss her.   I won't vote for ANY GOP candidate who fails to repudiate Trump.  That goes all the way down to dog catcher.

I am reevaluating a lot of my previous world views.  I still believe in collective security, free trade and the rule of law.   I can see clearly how the post-2015 GOP doesn't.    They only believe in power for themselves and their plutocrat friends like Putin and the Shaykhs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

My politics were already evolving, but the birther stuff was when I more or less wrote off the GOP. Not surprisingly, Trump was central to all of that, and to me it serves as foreshadowing for where our politics have ended up: conspiracy ridden and uncivil.

I think it started with Rush Limbaugh..........and to a slightly lesser degree Newt Gingrich.    Politics changed when they both started finding an audience.   Trump just went "these go to eleven" with the volume of it.  

• Like 1