The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Of all the Republican candidates that could win their election, which one concerns/scares you the most and which one depresses you the most.

Concerned/scared: Doug Mastriano

Depresses: Herschel Walker

I'd put Kari Lake over Doug Mastriano because I really do believe he's not going to win at this point.

I go back and forth on Walker/Oz, they are both celebrity grifters who are solely relying on their name and popularity to get the job and have shown little interest in the actual work of the Senate. Would probably lean Walker though, but can see arguments for Oz.

Edited by mtutiger

I think walker is just a puppet.  Oz has an agenda for personal grift so he'll go whichever the way the favorable winds are going.  He's loaded so he shouldn't be beholden to anyone.  Like Trump he just saw the opening required an R so he went with it.  Probably has very little core political beliefs other than what sells.

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'd put Kari Lake over Doug Mastriano because I really do believe he's not going to win at this point.

I go back and forth on Walker/Oz, they are both celebrity grifters who are solely relying on their name and popularity to get the job and have shown little interest in the actual work of the Senate.

I know it seems like chances of Mastriano winning versus Lake winning are much smaller. I considered putting Lake as my answer. But in some small, outside chance Mastriano wins, what he could potentially do to the Jewish community is downright scary in a way that almost no other candidate is, even one as nutty and dangerous as Lake herself is.

If Mastriano wins, it would definitely be terrifying because it would likely mean Democrats had a very rough night. Pennsylvania is one of the few states where the governor appoints the secretary of state and Mastriano is already on record saying he wants to cancel everyone's voter registration and make them re-register. Shapiro winning is more important than Fetterman winning. 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Mastriano wins, it would definitely be terrifying because it would likely mean Democrats had a very rough night. Pennsylvania is one of the few states where the governor appoints the secretary of state and Mastriano is already on record saying he wants to cancel everyone's voter registration and make them re-register. Shapiro winning is more important than Fetterman winning. 

Seriously, we aren't going to elect an open anti-semite are we?  That seems a real stretch.  

BTW, Obama...If all he is doing is giving heart to the base of church ladies who think he's fine then more power to the man.  Some men climbed Mount Suribachi in defense of Democracy and others listened to respectful catcalls from grandma-aged African American ladies. 

54 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I know it seems like chances of Mastriano winning versus Lake winning are much smaller. I considered putting Lake as my answer. But in some small, outside chance Mastriano wins, what he could potentially do to the Jewish community is downright scary in a way that almost no other candidate is, even one as nutty and dangerous as Lake herself is.

Mastriano would be much worse if he were to get there, I agree.

I think his candidacy would be much more potent if he were doing the things that he needs to do to compete, similar to what Lake has done in AZ. From what I've read, he's done little in terms of spending money or on ads, hasn't reached out to swing constituencies and has spent most of the time with base voters, hasn't done a lot of independent media. He was also deprived of institutional support in a way that Lake wasn't as well.

Of course, Shapiro being such a strong candidate is part of the equation as well, but Lake kinda stands as a good example of how much more threatening Mastriano could have been in terms of his odds of winning had a few factors gone a different way.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like the media wants DeSantis to run in 2024, but I think Kari Lake would be a more formidable candidate. She's more photogenetic and better on TV than DeSantis.  I get a lot of Nixon vibes with DeSantis. He's very stiff and has no charisma. 

If the Dems have a good showing, I think the inner workings of the GOP that would love to find a way to boot the Trump like folks out of the party would push for Hogan.  If the GOP wins, like they should in a off year election with a troubling economy, you'll see GOP folks be afraid to push against Trump still and we'll have more of a DeSantis/Lake/Noem push.  The problem for both is that even if Trump doesn't run, he's going to constantly pull the rug out from them and tease an entry towards a nomination.

Lake appears to be better on camera, but has she ever debated in a local race, let alone a national one?  Seems way to early to put her as a front runner.  Add in the fact that she's gone full MAGA, I just don't think that works on a national stage anymore and we do have 81 million votes as evidence towards that.

In regards to the talk above, Mastriano is the worst case scenario.  I personally think Lake is going full MAGA based on a political calculation.  I think there is less chance of her having an effect on the national stage from where she's at.  Plus we're talking 11 votes which tend to go towards GOP anyway.  Likely the reason she's fine going full MAGA right now.  Mastriano, he was there on 1/6.  He's not pretending.  Add in the fact that I think PA has a better chance to go blue than AZ, than add in state law which gives him power of PA - SoS.  

Most depressing - Walker, without a doubt.  I have no doubt he'll just be a puppet, but no different than 95 of the other senators on any given day.  He's an embarrassment to the GOP and the Senate though.  

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like the media wants DeSantis to run in 2024, but I think Kari Lake would be a more formidable candidate. She's more photogenetic and better on TV than DeSantis.  I get a lot of Nixon vibes with DeSantis. He's very stiff and has no charisma. 

Good call on Nixon.  

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

If the Dems have a good showing, I think the inner workings of the GOP that would love to find a way to boot the Trump like folks out of the party would push for Hogan.  If the GOP wins, like they should in a off year election with a troubling economy, you'll see GOP folks be afraid to push against Trump still and we'll have more of a DeSantis/Lake/Noem push.  The problem for both is that even if Trump doesn't run, he's going to constantly pull the rug out from them and tease an entry towards a nomination.

Lake appears to be better on camera, but has she ever debated in a local race, let alone a national one?  Seems way to early to put her as a front runner.  Add in the fact that she's gone full MAGA, I just don't think that works on a national stage anymore and we do have 81 million votes as evidence towards that.

In regards to the talk above, Mastriano is the worst case scenario.  I personally think Lake is going full MAGA based on a political calculation.  I think there is less chance of her having an effect on the national stage from where she's at.  Plus we're talking 11 votes which tend to go towards GOP anyway.  Likely the reason she's fine going full MAGA right now.  Mastriano, he was there on 1/6.  He's not pretending.  Add in the fact that I think PA has a better chance to go blue than AZ, than add in state law which gives him power of PA - SoS.  

Most depressing - Walker, without a doubt.  I have no doubt he'll just be a puppet, but no different than 95 of the other senators on any given day.  He's an embarrassment to the GOP and the Senate though.  

I just don't see Hogan making it through a Republican primary. In a previous universe, Charlie Baker would make an ideal Republican candidate as well. Kristi Noem is someone who underperforms in South Dakota. I don't think she would win nationally. Lake is a non politician who has the same charisma that Trump has but less offensive. 

31 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hopefully Katie Hobbs wins and puts that shit to bed with Kari Lake. But I agree, she's got the charisma, slick talk, camera appeal, and right wing, fascist chops to be a better candidate.

Obviously want to see her lose, but she's gonna be a pain in the *** if Hobbs wins as well. Especially since Hobbs is SoS

41 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hopefully Katie Hobbs wins and puts that shit to bed with Kari Lake. But I agree, she's got the charisma, slick talk, camera appeal, and right wing, fascist chops to be a better candidate.

Lake gives off an Evita Peron or Lucille Bluth vibe. 

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Lake gives off an Evita Peron or Lucille Bluth vibe. 

The thing with Lake is that I don't know what she actually believes and what is just performative bullshit for the camera. In either case, it is scary because she could actually implement and adopt some of the policies she may only performatively believe in.

With Doug Mastriano, and I mean this with all seriousness, I think he reads a book like Mein Kampf, and relates to the fucking thing on a personal level.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I get Marshall Applewhite vibes when she uses that filter when doing a video interview. 

Marshall Applewhite was part of a weird Do Te relationship with a female who was his co-leader.   Not sure she had the same weird magnetism.  Applewhite was clearly closeted and fought that aspect of his nature. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The thing with Lake is that I don't know what she actually believes and what is just performative bullshit for the camera. In either case, it is scary because she could actually implement and adopt some of the policies she may only performatively believe in.

With Doug Mastriano, and I mean this with all seriousness, I think he reads a book like Mein Kampf, and relates to the fucking thing on a personal level.

Disclosure; I know nothing of these people. The book Mein Kampf should be required reading before graduating from high school. There is much to be learned from that book.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War