The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

I just don’t see that a pollster gains by putting out a poll that they manipulated.  They make their living by being accurate. Doesn’t mean they will be but the point is they won’t make an effort to be inaccurate just to frame a narrative.  I think the “flooding” angle is just grasping at a positive that’s not there.  

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

They make their living by being accurate.

you can't seriously make this statement about anyone or anything related to the GOP can you?

You can debate what motivations may or may not be at work, but desire for veracity certainly isn't one.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, oblong said:

I just don’t see that a pollster gains by putting out a poll that they manipulated.  They make their living by being accurate. Doesn’t mean they will be but the point is they won’t make an effort to be inaccurate just to frame a narrative.  I think the “flooding” angle is just grasping at a positive that’s not there.  

I mean, Trafalgar put out polls that were off by over 15 points in the California Recall and have thus far lived to see the other side.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because dems aren't releasing favorable polls.

For context, this is potentially a rerun of the Kentucky Governor's race in 2019. Stitt has pissed off the tribes and has leaned hard into vouchers which has had a sizable impact in Rural OK school districts. Schools north of the border had challenges before he became Governor, to be clear, but we are now in a world where a number of districts in the rural part of the Oklahoma are now only offering classes four days per week out of necessity.

If Hofmeister wins (or even comes close) and it is an otherwise not great night for Ds, there may be a lesson to come out of Oklahoma and how to appeal to the broader group cross section of voters.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, oblong said:

So is it the consensus here that it’s not going to be red?  I am assuming a red house for sure.  

I think it will be a Red House, dont know on what the gains will be. 15-30ish?

50/50 Senate is my guess. Some states will be better or worse than others based on geography, individual situations.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Nate must be so burned by his previous misses he can't bring himself to see anything but red.

My problem with all of it is that nobody seems to want to stand behind their work...

You have Nate Cohn at the NYT commissioning polls showing a relative neutral environment (House polls in KS, NM, NV, Senate polls in PA, NV, AZ, WI) and the writeups are about how they may all be wrong. 

You have RCP building a model which deducts share based on previous polling misses in the last three cycles, yet still is willing to project a different result than what the model shows (see MI Gov).

And then you have Nate Silver, who built a website based on modeling this stuff yet basically seems more interested in punditry and, similar to Cohn, looks for reasons to doubt his own work.

None of this matters obviously, Tuesday will come and go and very little that these guys do or don't do will change any of it. But the lack of spine to stand behind their work is kind of pathetic IMO. 

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My problem with all of it is that nobody seems to want to stand behind their work...

You have Nate Cohn at the NYT commissioning polls showing a relative neutral environment (House polls in KS, NM, NV, Senate polls in PA, NV, AZ, WI) and the writeups are about how they may all be wrong. 

You have RCP building a model which deducts share based on previous polling misses in the last three cycles, yet still is willing to project a different result than what the model shows (see MI Gov).

And then you have Nate Silver, who built a website based on modeling this stuff yet basically seems more interested in punditry and, similar to Cohn, looks for reasons to doubt his own work.

None of this matters obviously, Tuesday will come and go and very little that these guys do or don't do will change any of it. But the lack of spine to stand behind their work is kind of pathetic IMO. 

That’s how I see it.  The polls aren’t telling me anything other than probably a red house and very close senate. I think PA flips and the others stand Pat. Is there a current D other than GA and AZ that’s in the conversation of flipping?

I just don’t see any punditry value in adding disclaimers to everything. Elections are held once.  It’s not like baseball where we use data to show how a person will likely perform over a period of time.  That’s useful. But in the context of a single at bat it isn’t. That’s what election night is.  Someone just give me an opinion on what they think will happen. 

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s how I see it.  The polls aren’t telling me anything other than probably a red house and very close senate. I think PA flips and the others stand Pat. Is there a current D other than GA and AZ that’s in the conversation of flipping?

I just don’t see any punditry value in adding disclaimers to everything. Elections are held once.  It’s not like baseball where we use data to show how a person will likely perform over a period of time.  That’s useful. But in the context of a single at bat it isn’t. That’s what election night is.  Someone just give me an opinion on what they think will happen. 

I'm probably more worried about Nevada than either Georgia or Arizona tbh. I agree with you on PA; Fetterman (partly for reasons outside of his control) has had issues as a candidate, but Oz has terrible favorables and isnt a good candidate in how own right *and* he's sharing a ballot with Mastriano. It'll be close, but I think Fetterman wins.

I get why these guys are inclined to caveat everything, people have been hard on the polling/prognosticating industry the past few years. Sometimes without reason. But the constant caveating (based on conventional wisdom, what others are thinking or showing) is how people fall into groupthink as well, and that isn't necessarily a good thing if you are in the business of figuring out public opinion. 

Edited by mtutiger