The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Man, Marlinga gave it a shot but looks like will fall short. Democrats could have won this seat.

I did not see any Marlinga ads, saw a ton of James ads.      I hope he's more moderate.  He wasn't mentioning stop the steal.   Looks like a 50-50 Senate with Kamala in her role and it looks like Republicans will take the house by 1 to 3 seats.   Puke.   That means if Thomas croaks we won't get a replacement at all. 

DeSantis will easily win in 2024.     Maybe he and Trump will tear each other up. 

The Democrats need a young star and I don't know who that is.    I think Gavin Newsom would do better than people think but people will hate him like they hated Hillary.   

Kristina Karamo lost by what, 11 points?   She'll probably still say it was stolen.  In fact several losers will.   She probably blames demons for it. 

At least my state didn't go cuckoo by putting in conspiracy nuts.  

Whitmer is going to run for President,  but not until 2028.     I think Mike Duggan will be our next Governor.  

I can take my dog for a walk this morning and chuckle as I pass the Dixon and Karamo signs

One strange thing is based on the final tallies that some people that voted Yes on Prop 3 also voted for Tudor Dixon.  That makes no sense to me at all.  

By the time 2024 comes around inflation should be in check.   We went through this in Reagan's first two years too, and it was about the same, 8.5%.    It is a worldwide problem but you can't say that to some people.    The unemployment rate is  almost the lowest in U.S. history and there are still job shortages.  There are some people who refuse to work, it could be in the low 2s.    

With inflation calmed down, Abortion will absolutely be the #1 issue in 2024 (barring some tragic event). 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

If Biden has any big ideas he wants to get through he'd better do it in the next 2 months because after that nothing is going to get done.    Even things that make sense will be stopped out of pure spite.    I think he got most of what he wanted in the first 2 years.   There will be a government shutdown at some point with a Republican Congress unless you can find 2 or 3 of them with common sense.    Good luck with that.     The budge deficit is like the Salary Cap in the NFL, it's a cute idea, but ultimately does it even matter?      

• Like 1

My question about the speaker earlier was basically, does the speaker have to come from the party that controls the House?  If the majority party can't come to a consensus on the vote and the minority part does, then does the minority candidate become speaker?

Dr. Oz........I know you're down today and when a lot of people are down they turn to food - comfort food. Go ahead and tuck in, buddy, because after the break I am going to let you know about a miracle pill from the banks of the Zambezi River in Botswana that will keep that weight off, Stay Tuned !

We can even have the pills shipped directly and discretely to your home in New Jersey.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

My question about the speaker earlier was basically, does the speaker have to come from the party that controls the House?  If the majority party can't come to a consensus on the vote and the minority part does, then does the minority candidate become speaker?

The Speaker can be anyone the majority party selects, it does not have to be a house member and they could decide to make Trump the Speaker if they wanted.    But not coming to a consensus would never really be an issue, they'd make sure they had someone there. .  

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

Short answer is no. It simply takes a majority vote.

Thats where something like a 1 or even 3 vote majority becomes really precarious and where you could see some sort of coalition building or R speaker candidates needing D votes for House. (Happens a lot here in Texas as well - House Speakers tend to be relatively moderate because Ds will throw votes to them to prevent harder right votes).

IOW, If the majority ends up that narrow, Kevin M. is gonna need to invest in some kneepads

Edited by mtutiger

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Speaker can be anyone the majority party selects, it does not have to be a house member and they could decide to make Trump the Speaker if they wanted.    But not coming to a consensus would never really be an issue, they'd make sure they had someone there. .  

GQP will have the votes (218) to select their speaker, but MTG wants it and her Team Crazy will not vote for McCarthy unless he agrees to investigate Hunter Biden, Fauci, Gmail, Benghazi and litter boxes.

one plan was to make Trump the Speaker, impeach and remove Biden and Harris, and then Trump is president. that only fails because they don't have the votes to remove, but I am sure they will impeach them for WHATEVER

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Short answer is no. It simply takes a majority vote.

Thats where something like a 1 or even 3 vote majority becomes really precarious and where you could see some sort of coalition building or R speaker candidates needing D votes for House. (Happens a lot here in Texas as well - House Speakers tend to be relatively moderate because Ds will throw votes to them to prevent harder right votes).

IOW, If the majority ends up that narrow, Kevin M. is gonna need to invest in some kneepads

I think he's already got some but will have to take the DT initials off of them.

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

NO MORE POLITICAL ADS !

They briefly squeezed out the Liberty Mutual ads on all forms of media.  Whoever makes those ads should be embarrassed.   More ads like the Behr paint ads.   I think I want to see a sitcom with the crazy wife who suddenly wears leather pants and throws her paint at the wall.  Or the ad with the girl's college version constantly dissing the adult version of her how she sounds when she eats. 

In retrospect, there was a ton of irresponsibility by the political press this cycle in how certain races were covered. But for my money, the PA Senate Race takes the cake.

When you get right down to it, the fundamentals really were never there for Oz, and the analysis throughout was buttressed by very little data. And it starts with the candidate himself - they spent a lot of time highlighting Fetterman's flaws (particularly after his stroke), but never considered that a candidate with 50+% disapproval numbers was gonna have an extremely difficult time beating a candidate with a positive approval rating.

It should cause introspection, but I'm sure it won't.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

In retrospect, there was a ton of irresponsibility by the political press this cycle in how certain races were covered. But for my money, the PA Senate Race takes the cake.

When you get right down to it, the fundamentals really were never there for Oz, and the analysis throughout was buttressed by very little data.

he still got 47% of the vote and even though every knows he lives in New Jersey, that's a bit disturbing.   

Now, can we take his irresponsible show off the air or at least have a half-hour show that fact checks him?    Dude sold his soul for clicks and ratings.   

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

he still got 47% of the vote and even though every knows he lives in New Jersey, that's a bit disturbing.   

Sure, but it was evident in the polling that he'd be in that range. Not a surprise.

My issue is that a lot of really smart people didn't look at the fundamentals and went completely off their gut on this race. And look silly a day later.

DeSantis/Ernst  or Trump/Greene in 2024.    

Democrats?   I don't know, man.  I can't see Biden running again at 81.   I don't think Kamala has enough support to win.  Someone will have to step up in the next two years.   Bernie's too old.     Mark Kelly?  He'll be 60, he's 3 weeks older than me.     Mark Kelly would appeal to some in the center with his military background and he has done well in a purple state.  And some will sympathize with what his wife has gone through.  I mean if he gets attacked on his sensible gun control stance with what his wife went through......wow,  don't doubt they'd do it but I do think a lot of people in the middle will find it in VERY poor taste and most Americans actually want sensible gun control - the McCains completely threw their support behind him.  Might not be the most electric pick, but it's a pretty safe one.    I just looked it up...........A ton of Arizona Republicans endorsed Kelly.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics