The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

Just now, mtutiger said:

Sure, but it was evident in the polling that he'd be in that range. Not a surprise.

My issue is that a lot of really smart people didn't look at the fundamentals and went completely off their gut on this race. And look silly a day later.

Actually, I think it helped Democrats.   The fear of it being close probably drove more people out.  If they thought Fetterman and Shapiro were shoo-ins, they might have stayed home. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Feeling like that for my state but not my country.   It was not the red wave I expected, but the fucking inflation kicked us in the balls and it's not even our fault, it's worldwide, but that's asking for critical thinking from voters.....yeah, right. 

Inflation gets blamed on the party that has the presidency.  As far as who is really to blame for it, you're right that it's a worldwide issue, but both parties were fine with quantitative easing, both parties were fine with stimulus, and 1 party was more aggressive on shutting down and staying down longer.  All of these things, regardless of other benefits they may have provided, directly led to a bigger inflation issue.

I personally am livid with the Dems over how late they got into the game of trying to deal with inflation and how they initially tried to dupe folks that it was just some redneck idiot that was just upset with paying such a small fraction more for some milk.  I mean, even the "Inflation Reduction Act" will (minutely) lead to more inflation in the short term.  

In pre Trump times, inflation would have been my #1 issue to determine how I would have voted yesterday.  Instead I had no choice to vote for Democracy for all first, and then restore rights for my wife and daughter before I could even think about voting for who is handling our economy better.  It appears that quite a few folks had some similar thoughts and voted accordingly.  I'm pleasantly surprised this morning, yet still not terribly comfortable with the direction we're heading.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Has this race been called? Alaska with the ranked choice is wacky. I would advise not to count this chicken.

It hasn't been called, but she made up significantly more ground in RCV during her Special Election race a few months ago versus where she sits at 47.2% (in a race involving the same candidates), so it's fair to assume she's in a solid spot.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Speaker can be anyone the majority party selects, it does not have to be a house member and they could decide to make Trump the Speaker if they wanted.    But not coming to a consensus would never really be an issue, they'd make sure they had someone there. .  

That is so bizarre.

7 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

While I am mostly disappointed in my state of Ohio, at least Majewski got it handed to him. I never really expected Dewine to lose, but I was hopeful Tim Ryan could beat out Vance.

I kind of got a kick out of the yard sign combo of Kaptur, Ryan, and DeWine in front of someone's house by our locales.  You don't see many mixed ticket yard sign combos out there.

Looking like Marlinga lost by less than 2,000 votes. It's so frustrating because this was a winnable seat and Democrats just wrote it off early. Marlinga was a fine candidate for the district, he was just severely underfunded yet put up a good fight because he was on the ground every day. John James also ran the best campaign of any Republican in Michigan. He didn't get caught up talking about kid's genitals like the rest of the Republicans. He kept on message about economic issues. The Michigan GOP is in shambles right now so James has to be the leader as of now.

lots of small pictures Dem losses. Marco and Vance winning? Good Lord.

to me the big picture is how the GQP blew it. Kemp demolished Abrams, and he should have been able to carry any sane candidate not named Walker to victory.

Fetterman barely beat Oz, but with a normal GOP governor candidate on the ballot, probably would have lost to Oz.

I hated the Dems supporting the wackos in the GOP primaries, but it looks like all of those wackos lost in the general.

Dems hopefully have stopped ignoring state races; do nto stop at governorships.

Lots of other wackos lost; if Boebert is gone and Palin has actually lost, that a huge win for just normalcy. If Lake loses, even better.

GOP will control house though and that sucks - 2 years of insanity

19 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

While I am mostly disappointed in my state of Ohio, at least Majewski got it handed to him. I never really expected Dewine to lose, but I was hopeful Tim Ryan could beat out Vance.

Does this derail Tim Ryan nationally, though?    He's a potential.   Ohio is no longer a swing state, it's a deep red state.  

3 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This here sounds like a solid denunciation of all things MAGA. 

That's probably the case.

I've also noticed quite a few multi sign yards the other way with a Majewski and a Vance sign, maybe another random R, but no DeWine.

Maybe I just subjectively notice what I notice.  But it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Does this derail Tim Ryan nationally, though?    He's a potential.   Ohio is no longer a swing state, it's a deep red state.  

Ohio is not deep red. Obama won Michigan by larger margins than Trump won Ohio and Republicans didn't right it off and came back in 2016 and won it.

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lots of other wackos lost; if Boebert is gone and Palin has actually lost, that a huge win for just normalcy. If Lake loses, even better.

My guess is that Lake probably pulls it out, but it'll only be her and not the crazy SoS candidate, whose race is currently tracking closely with Kelly.

Kari Lake is still as dangerous as I said she was a few days ago, but if she's one of (if not the only) one that slips through among state races, I think that does defang her a bit.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Here's the thing, running strong candidates in red leaning states works. Ryan is probably the reason those house districts flipped. Republicans put in millions to defend the seat that could have been spent on PA, AZ,GA etc.

this is a great point; there is a big ripple effect from a good candidate running a great, even losing, campaign