The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

51 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

While I am mostly disappointed in my state of Ohio, at least Majewski got it handed to him. I never really expected Dewine to lose, but I was hopeful Tim Ryan could beat out Vance.

I did not realize Nan Whaley was Dewine's opponent. Somebody very close to me knows her and she is a complete dunce.

I'm bummed about losing the house by such a narrow margin, but that is how it's supposed to work, right?   One party not having control of everything, but we're so intolerant of meeting in the middle that we can't make that aspect work.  Maybe there are a few Republicans in Centrist districts that can work towards some movement but it's gonna be so stagnant.     Maybe this weeds out some of the crazies, but I doubt it,  they're gonna double down now.  Surprised we haven't seen violence yet. 

They think Biden is some radical leftist..............I think he's more common sense-left.  He's pretty pragmatic actually and he's pretty boring - which is exactly what we needed.     Don't want anymore sizzle there,  I just want someone to manage things with quiet dignity.   

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

One outfit already called for the GA runoff. Not good in my opinion.  

Will be interesting to see whether it's 50-49 or 49-50 going into it and what the various dynamics will be.

If you're an R, you're hoping Laxalt can pull it off in Nevada, because I can't imagine a 50-49 field going into a runoff is gonna do wonders for inspiring voters to turn out for ol' Herschel

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Will be interesting to see whether it's 50-49 or 49-50 going into it and what the various dynamics will be.

If you're an R, you're hoping Laxalt can pull it off in Nevada, because I can't imagine a 50-49 field going into a runoff is gonna do wonders for inspiring voters to turn out for ol' Herschel

If a runoff is what is going to happen, they’ll be a very large Republican effort, but don’t expect to actually hear Herschel‘s name. They’ll be pounding the bricks and saying “you need to vote for “the Republican!”They’re not even gonna mention his name, but just point to the fact that “we need Republican votes”.

• Like 1

Mathematically though considering an all things being equal a runoff means those two are competing for the subset of voters that voted just for them right?  I have a hard time thinking someone who didn’t vote for Walker or Warnock would suddenly vote for them knowing it would be very close the first time. If they had a preference they would have already done so. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

This is the idea I was trying to get across in a post a couple days ago, poorly.

the "little harm" could be another block to adding a Supreme Court Justice, and ending up with a 2 year Republican majority and stacking the court again.  Clarence Thomas is in poor health and he's not young.   I guess we didn't learn that from the angry Bernie voters (you know, Bernie, the guy that told them not to be angry and vote for Hilary). 

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

Mathematically though considering an all things being equal a runoff means those two are competing for the subset of voters that voted just for them right?  I have a hard time thinking someone who didn’t vote for Walker or Warnock would suddenly vote for them knowing it would be very close the first time. If they had a preference they would have already done so. 

They had a runoff last time, didn't they...........and the Democrat did better in the runoff.    Maybe the same thing happens here.  It's just ridiculous that anyone could vote for such a horrible person.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

the "little harm" could be another block to adding a Supreme Court Justice, and ending up with a 2 year Republican majority and stacking the court again.  Clarence Thomas is in poor health and he's not young.   I guess we didn't learn that from the angry Bernie voters (you know, Bernie, the guy that told them not to be angry and vote for Hilary). 

The senate confirms the judges. A Republican house would just end any legislation getting passed.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

I kind of wonder whether some marginal voters peel off from Herschel out of some kind of embarrassment? Low-info voters who picked a football hero and then learned what a doofus he is? I can’t envision as many people leaving Warnock for Herschel. 

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They had a runoff last time, didn't they...........and the Democrat did better in the runoff.    Maybe the same thing happens here.  It's just ridiculous that anyone could vote for such a horrible person.  

That also had the stench of January 6 and Kemp/Trump going at it too.  don't know what change that means for a new runoff though.