2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

They system needs talent, upgrade any way you can. Ignoring the future to try to be mediocre now is not an optimistic strategy, either.

Very true.  On the flip side, letting Al Avila and this scouting staff make the decision on which prospects to select isn’t an optimistic strategy either.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Longgone said:

They system needs talent, upgrade any way you can. Ignoring the future to try to be mediocre now is not an optimistic strategy, either.

This organization traded away stars in 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019, at the expense of helping ourselves right away, for talent that was supposed to upgrade the system and help us in the future. It is 2022. We are in that future right now. How’s that worked out?

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This organization traded away stars in 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019, at the expense of helping ourselves right away, for talent that was supposed to upgrade the system and help us in the future. It is 2022. We are in that future right now. How’s that worked out?

the strategy was fine, the results so far...

Edited by Longgone

20 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I think they will trade guys who will be free agents and maybe Jimenez. I can't see them giving up any young talent.

Agreed.... would not be all that surprised if it's just Fulmer and Chafin at this point as well. For better or worse.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Or maybe the strategy is not so fine. It’s at least up for debate. 

I can understand both views but I'm on the side of the strategy being fine, unfortunately we just have a guy that either is a terrible negotiator that also doesn't know how to identify and/or a player development program that screws up the development of the guys they got.

As much as I hated seeing Verlander go we got a top 30 prospect, a guy who atleast one of the sites ranked in the top 75 in Daz and Rogers who was seen as borderline top 100 by some. If say that top 30 guy in Perez developed into the frontline guy like many thought he could be, Daz became an Austin Jackson like CFer like some thought he could possibly be at one point and Rogers a solid everyday catcher that would make the trade and in turn our rebuild look alot better.

Unfortunately none of those things happened, whether it was because those guys were overhyped and never were going to come close to their ceilings or because the Tigers just failed to develop them? Either way is a detriment to the organization but that doesn't change the fact that the idea to trade a pitcher in his mid 30s who had a ton miles on him for 3 young prospects was correct, particularly when they weren't planning to compete for a couple years. It's just unfortunate we had the wrong person pulling the strings and the pitcher we traded away ended up being a once or twice in a generation type who not only didn't decline in his late 30s but may have actually gotten better.  

• Like 1

Sounds like a big deal is coming, the M's just traded for Luis Castillo earlier today too so they must be going all in. 

edit: NVM should've read through the replies before posting cause in them some Mariners fans said that he is probably getting called up due to J-Rod apparently getting hurt. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Under. I would lean for 2 as well... Jimenez I'm kinda 50/50 on, there have been a lot of press clippings on him but also was suggested on the radio broadcast (with Cody Stavenhagen in booth) that the market for his services was light thus far.

but things can change fast

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’ think it will be two—Fulmer and Chafin.

They seem likelier for the Tigers to want to trade because of contracts.  But to Edman’s point, they need to move whoever they can that makes sense as far as the return is concerned.  I don’t care about Soto’s or anyone else’s team contract control.  Obviously they can negotiate up the player value because of that variable. But as flukey as relief pitchers can be from season to season, especially if they happen to be getting worthwhile position players or starting pitching in return, make the trade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Pleased to hear this with respect to Skubal, but I would certainly hope the dont value Soto the same as Skubal.

Assuming the Tigers remain hard on this approach, seeing as how Soto is the best reliever on the team basically only in the scaled eyes of the top of the front office, and is no better than fourth-best in just about everyone else’s eyes, Soto ain’t going nowhere.