2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Likewise. With the conventional wisdom being that relievers are unreliable, Hader now has a 4 yr track record, and he doen't walk as many as Soto. 

Soto would never bring back what Hader brought back, but the delta between what Scott Effross returns (Yanks Top 10 Prospect) and what Soto or Lange could bring back doesn't seem like it would be that big to me.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Soto would never bring back what Hader brought back, but the delta between what Scott Effross returns (Yanks Top 10 Prospect) and what Soto or Lange could bring back doesn't seem like it would be that big to me.

Smart move by cashman getting a cheap hot reliever with 5 years of control. Shows what little we can expect for Jimenez, Chafin and Fulmer.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Likewise. With the conventional wisdom being that relievers are unreliable, Hader now has a 4 yr track record, and he doen't walk as many as Soto. 

Flip side of this, though, is that Soto has been much better since June 19: 10.1 innings in 11 games, 14 strikeouts vs only three walks, 0.87 ERA, 1.86 FIP, and, if it matters, six saves.

So if we can luck dealing with an organization that's into recency and doesn't dig too deeply behind the numbers, maybe we could unlock a decent get for him. Maybe the Phillies, who are on the bubble.

Hader has been brutal lately.  Was on the verge of losing his job to Devin Williams—MLB Radio speculating moving him would avoid any potential uncomfortableness around his demotion.

Soto should have more trade value than Hader—having the better season, much cheaper (that matters to teams) and controllable for more years.  I would expect a better return.

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hader has been brutal lately.  Was on the verge of losing his job to Devin Williams—MLB Radio speculating moving him would avoid any potential uncomfortableness around his demotion.

Soto should have more trade value than Hader—having the better season, much cheaper (that matters to teams) and controllable for more years.  I would expect a better return.

I love Soto's arm, but if I were trading for him, his career walk rate would be a red flag. It's a little better this season, but any scout watching would know that that is only because he's not trying the throw his slider much recently. He's living on pure velo, which is great, but how many more seasons can a 27 yr old guy throw 100? Maybe Greg is a freak and can keep it up. We hope so. But if he loses a couple of MPH he needs that slider and are you then looking at 5.5BB/9IP again?

That's the kind of calculus that you hope doesn't sway a GM if you are trying to trade him!

28 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Not sure but I think they have been in the playoffs every year since 2017 ? That's many summers of fun competitive baseball.

pfft like fun competitive baseball means anything, dude.  Give me a ring or give me 115 losses and the top pick.  Everything else is a waste of time baby.

/kl2

Edited by sabretooth
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So, you've basically been wasting your time following the Tigers for the last 38 years.  

And you completely happy with everything in the last 38 years?

(Your hyperbole is silly. And we've been over this 100 times. You think just being .500 is great and thats enough. I play for titles. I was merely pointing out the guy praising the brewers has won exactly as much as our crap tacular organization. )