2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Jimenez has a history that's enough to make you happy to have him become someone else's problem going forward. But if you had just dropped he and Soto in from Mars this season, you'd wonder why Joe wasn't closing. This is the kind of call that makes or breaks team building - which one of these guys is more likely to end up worthless in a season or two and which might be your all-star. Stat's will hardly help you here because the big question with Jimenez is which of many different pitchers he has been statistically is the one he will be in the future, the one who dominates or the the one who can't find the plate? Likewise with Soto - who is so dependent on his velo because the slider comes and goes. He may show up next ST and the triple digits may be gone.

Jimenez' walk rate is probably too low to sustain, but where does he level out after seasons at 6.9 and 1.8? Soto lives so close to the edge it always feels like he might self-destruct permanently at any time.

Edited by gehringer_2

It's probably more important to have a "proven closer" with the right mentality than a bunch of prospects at far more valuable and difficult to fill positions. When you're a team with like five good relievers and limited talent everywhere else, you make the smart play: build through the part of the team that is only useful if the other (terrible) parts won the first six innings. 

Whoa, I think I briefly used latent psychic powers to channel Al Avila's id for a moment there. 

Seriously, they basically have to trade at least a couple of them, and the longer it takes the more concerned I become. 

Edited by pyrotigers
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Seriously, they basically have to trade at least a couple of them, and the longer it takes the more concerned I become. 

My own guess is that the two best suitors for both Chafin and Fulmer are the Mets and Blue Jays respectively, both of whom are angling for players on the Cubs (Ian Happ, Willson Contreras) who in theory could be packaged with relievers as well.

One would hope that there would be movement whenever that unwinds, but it's still unsettling that theoretically both teams could resolve their needs without availing themselves of the Tigers BP options. Which could be used as yet another piece of evidence of Al getting played.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My own guess is that the two best suitors for both Chafin and Fulmer are the Mets and Blue Jays respectively, both of whom are angling for players on the Cubs (Ian Happ, Willson Contreras) who in theory could be packaged with relievers as well.

One would hope that there would be movement whenever that unwinds, but it's still unsettling that theoretically both teams could resolve their needs without availing themselves of the Tigers BP options. Which could be used as yet another piece of evidence of Al getting played.

Maybe the Yankees, too?  

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Blue Jays can't be in on Chafin......

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

IMHO, maybe Fulmer and/or perhaps Chafin could be dealt. However, I would like the Tigs to try to get a position player that can help soon. The Tigs may need to add a prospect or two to sweeten the pot. AA overvalues prospects.  How many position players have we developed over the last several years - despite what 5-7 years of drafting under this regime!

Simply an example, if the Tigs like 3B/1B MVientos of the NYM, and they like Fulmer and/or Chafin, agree on 1-2 prospects from our system and get it done. Maybe C SCampusano of SD, etc.

The Twins get it. They just gave the O's 4 young players for their closer.

IMHO, they have a chance to perhaps get a young position player 'now' as teams do want 'bullpen help' this time of the year more than ever... add what needs to be to the RP package and get a player who is on the cusp and perhaps blocked at their respective position on a contending team. If this regime cannot do this, then someone needs to look at the GM and more and make a decision!!

Edited by alex
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Looks like only Fullmer will be traded. 

I could see Vest or Lange being thrown in. Chafin make the most sense but as has already been covered, the option/live in the midwest thing complicates moving him. 

I know it's a 180 reversal for me, but right now I think moving Jimenez could be selling low. There is just enough chance what he is doing now is real and because of his spotty history I don't think we would get that much for him so this is one where the upside of a trade has higher odds of some return, the potential downside, while not that likely, is still big enough I'd stand pat.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Al really is in a no-win situation.  One that he put himself in.

Blue Jays asked about Grossman last year when he was producing like he never had before. No idea what they offered but safe to assume it would have been a better return last year. Same for Cisnero, who was great the first half last year and there were some rumors about him. Same with Fulmer years ago. Same with never traded Boyd. Nothing for JD and JV.

Complete opposite of DD who constantly turned crap into gold.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The biggest domino is about to fall

Josh Bell is no slouch either..

Susana is dicing up rookie ball hitters. Hassell looks like a nice prospect. Abrams just made the show this year. Can't  find James Wood in BR.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Blue Jays asked about Grossman last year when he was producing like he never had before. No idea what they offered but safe to assume it would have been a better return last year. Same for Cisnero, who was great the first half last year and there were some rumors about him. Same with Fulmer years ago. Same with never traded Boyd. Nothing for JD and JV.

Complete opposite of DD who constantly turned crap into gold.

Yes we are really missing opportunities with Al. It seems he is always thinking job preservation above aggressively building a winning team. He really needs to go. The entire league has passed him by. Look what the Orioles got for Lopez. A waiver wire pick up they traded for real prospects first chance they got. Not Al. 

• Like 1