2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

3 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

do you think it might be a little bit of the front office thinking the Fetters can turn water into wine

Tigers can't trade their way to any major improvement in the roster. They don't have that kind of depth. They'll trade relievers for a bat and next yr they'll score 40 more runs and give up 35 more.

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers can't trade their way to any major improvement in the roster. They don't have that kind of depth. They'll trade relievers for a bat and next yr they'll score 40 more runs and give up 35 more.

Depends on what can come of guys like Vest and Foley.

If Foley pitches like he did last night, it might not be a huge drop off from Fulmer

Edited by mtutiger

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would take that chance, because half the relievers will regress next year and will be replaced by more Fetter mentees.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KL2 said:

You mean like Fulmer in 2015? Or Boyd in 17?

nyah, like taijuan walker...lol.

and werent you the one jumping up and down that matt boyd was better than gleybar torres?

so you just trade a pitcher as soon as he does well?  that's how we get better?  

is skubal that guy?  i dont know.  but i know he's a good, cost controlled pitcher who - unlike fulmer - misses bats.  i would keep skubal.

4 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Agree with trading relievers who have big yearly turnover anyway. Plus Fetter might be an asset we can use to develop more. He seems solid. Converting starters is the ticket it seems? Next up Feado. His slider could play as reliever. Probably others. 

faedo has long relief/spot starter written all over him.  AAAA pitcher if he can stay healthy.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I would take that chance, because half the relievers will regress next year and will be replaced by more Fetter mentees.  

Exactly. Even for the remainder of this year, as good as Fulmer and Chafin have been, I don't know that there's a massive drop off between them and slotting in Vest or Foley.

The difference will come in replacing them, but yeah, I kinda operate from the place that Fetter will be able to work with guys to make them servicable

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the trick is guessing which half to trade.

Fulmer and Chafin aren't likely to be long term options regardless, so they seem like the easiest to trade.

Jimenez and Soto are a bit trickier. The price for Joe is rising, and they should be willing to walk away without the right deal with both of them.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Fulmer and Chafin aren't likely to be long term options regardless, so they seem like the easiest to trade.

Jimenez and Soto are a bit trickier. The price for Joe is rising, and they should be willing to walk away without the right deal with both of them.

Chafin and Fulmer won't be hard to lose, but for the same reason the return is not going to do much to turn the team around either. If they manage to be an average hitting team next season I think the odds are it will have more to do with guys already in the system being better (or making the team) than anything that happens this weekend. I don't have any thing against them making trades, but I get the sense people are over optimist about the potential results.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chafin and Fulmer won't be hard to lose, but for the same reason the return is not going to do much to turn the team around either. If they manage to be an average hitting team next season I think the odds are it will have more to do with guys already in the system being better (or making the team) than anything that happens this weekend. I don't have any thing against them making trades, but I get the sense people are over optimist about the potential results.

Maybe you're right, although at least around here, most seem realistic about what Fulmer/Chafin would return.

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

On the surface this may be true - IMHO, the Tigs can sweeten the pot by 'adding' 1-2 of thier own prospects (ex CSantana, ROlson, GWorkma, CKeith, etc. even DDingler) and get a more ML ready hitting prospect. They cannot think they have 'Gold' again with 'all' their prospects.

After all we have not been very good at getting position players to the big leagues and succeeding!

Create a package based on the RP (or two) a team wants. Tigs pick a player they like who might be close (MLB wise) and is perhaps blocked now (ex SD LCampusano, LAD MVargas or APages, etc). Even a player like CBiggio might help us - higher OBP, some pop and speed, can play a few positions.

It may not be easy but if they work it...

Again, those old adages: 'You can never have enough P' or Everyone is looking for P'.

IF they can get creative and put together a package they might get a decent hitting prospect back.