Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

you definitely don't have to do it for pfife, but it might be a good idea to do it for the future of your country's status as a democratic republic.....

.....just sayin'.

:classic_dry:

Nope.  The current batch of democrats is the biggest threat there is to our country and democracy.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Nope.  The current batch of democrats is the biggest threat there is to our country and democracy.  

A bunch of guys still lying about the last election and plotting to steal the next one?

How many Republicans will admit the election wasn't stolen by mules?

On 7/20/2022 at 12:13 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I'm sure Bunker was calling for the removal of Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz when they were protesting to overturn an election in which the protestors then proceeded to storm the capitol. 

There's a difference.  Those guys are patriots.  

8 hours ago, oblong said:

They should have mailed the discharged mass of cells to the Harbaugh residence so they, errrr, Mrs Harbaugh could deal with it 

I don’t understand the bitterness directed at someone like Harbaugh that speaks out in support of taking on a child to raise. What has it got to do with anyone not directly involved in his decision? Seriously, what business is it of yours, or anybody else’s, if he and his family are willing to offer to take on an unwanted child?
My son and his wife adopted our first grandson. It is not easy and it is not cheap. 
Whether you support or oppose abortion should not be a reason to make derogatory comments toward those families that are interested and willing to take on those responsibilities. 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t understand the bitterness directed at someone like Harbaugh that speaks out in support of taking on a child to raise. What has it got to do with anyone not directly involved in his decision? Seriously, what business is it of yours, or anybody else’s, if he and his family are willing to offer to take on an unwanted child?
My son and his wife adopted our first grandson. It is not easy and it is not cheap. 
Whether you support or oppose abortion should not be a reason to make derogatory comments toward those families that are interested and willing to take on those responsibilities. 

Because the fact he needs to tell us that shows his arrogance.  Why do we need to know?  His statement on what he would do in a situation is irrelevant and has nothing to do with what public policy should be or what other people should do in their lives and in their situation.  He gives off a "I'm better than you" vibe.  I'm very happy that people choose to adopt, it makes the world a better place.  But you can't force people to do that and our laws should not be based on that option.   It's akin to saying we should ban eating meat because someone else went vegan and feels so much better for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I agree with this. My point in highlighting the case in the NPR article from Texas has nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh or adoption, but it has more to do with the fact that these are direct consequences of what ending Roe V Wade has done.

We basically have established law down here where doctors are risking civil or criminal liability all by using their judgment as to where the line between a child being viable or not viable is. And as much as we're told "the politicians will figure out the details", having lived here for 10 years, I can assure you that they will not fix this and, if anything, are probably good with it. 

Whether you agree or disagree with Roe falling, this is a direct consequence of it. Pretending it isn't happening doesn't change that 

21 minutes ago, pfife said:

Didn't Harbaugh on multiple occasions make it everyone else's business w/ his own words he chose to say in public settings?  

What Harbaugh says publicly is fair game for debate. I’m sure he realizes he is fair game for having his positions and ideas criticized. 
My issue, again, concern the personal attacks and derogatory remarks directed at him and his family. Criticize his position if you like but there is no reason to make snide and derogatory remarks about him as a person or his family.  

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

What Harbaugh says publicly is fair game for debate. I’m sure he realizes he is fair game for having his positions and ideas criticized. 
My issue, again, concern the personal attacks and derogatory remarks directed at him and his family. Criticize his position if you like but there is no reason to make snide and derogatory remarks about him as a person or his family.  

I'd argue he set the tone and tenor regarding personal attacks and derogatory remarks when he plainly inferred that women who got abortions lacked courage.  He did this in a public speech.   Goose/gander.

19 minutes ago, 1776 said:

My issue, again, concern the personal attacks and derogatory remarks directed at him 

I've thought Harbaugh was a nut ball since he was a student, am I only allowed to say "What a nice guy - but gee, I do disagree with him a bit"? Criticism of what a person believes is by nature 'personal' so my question is where is your proposed line in this case?  Clearly advocating university action against him, doxing etc, crosses the line, but I would say that in political criticism 'snide' is absolutely in play as it usually related directly to implied hypocrisy. And it's also rich in Harbaugh's case who has always been so quick with snide criticism of other coaches and opponents.

Edited by gehringer_2

56 minutes ago, oblong said:

Because the fact he needs to tell us that shows his arrogance.  Why do we need to know?  His statement on what he would do in a situation is irrelevant and has nothing to do with what public policy should be or what other people should do in their lives and in their situation.  He gives off a "I'm better than you" vibe. 

Harbaugh doesn’t need to tell anybody anything. That he he chooses to speak out on the topic shouldn’t make him fair game for personal attacks. 

That a public figure publicly states that he and his family are willing to adopt a child, that may be without a home otherwise, is construed as a display arrogance is difficult to believe in a real sense. Has the politics surrounding this issue moved that far from reality?

I’m totally missing the “better than you vibe” as well. 

My impression is that you aren’t very fond of Harbaugh, politics or not. Just…an impression. 

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'd argue he set the tone and tenor regarding personal attacks and derogatory remarks when he plainly inferred that women who got abortions lacked courage.  He did this in a public speech.   Goose/gander.

I am basing my responses to what has been discussed here. You probably have a more knowledgeable history of Harbaugh’s comments than I.