Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

21 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I’ll say it again:

I am worried for every woman/girl in this country.

Me too, especially since every woman I know - ages range from 18 to mid 80's - is voting for Trump.

It's unbelievable actually.

3 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Me too, especially since every woman I know - ages range from 18 to mid 80's - is voting for Trump.

I think you have some blinders on there, my friend.  

• Thanks 1

I wish I did but I don't.

I was told this unprompted by all the women I know.

They are aware of Trump's abortion policies and understand what they mean in regard to how they would be personally affected as well as their daughters, granddaughters, sisters, other female family members, etc.

They are by no means stupid people. Many are college educated.

White Supremacy, Racism, Nazism - whatever you want to call it - is that strong of a pull.

They would all happily die for Trump as long as he is elected.

It is a cult.

Edited by The Ronz

2 hours ago, The Ronz said:

They are aware of Trump's abortion policies and understand what they mean in regard to how they would be personally affected as well as their daughters, granddaughters, sisters, other female family members, etc.

White Supremacy, Racism, Nazism - whatever you want to call it - is that strong of a pull.

It is a cult.

Where do you live?

West Virginia? Or Alabama?

Macomb County, MI.

Nazism started in Detroit and was exported to Germany and Hitler.

Henry Ford is mentioned in Mein Kampf.

Nazism was imported back to Detroit after World War II via Operation Overcast/Paperclip.

It came to Macomb County during the White Flight era of the 1960's.

Many Hitler Jugend as well as their progeny still live in Macomb County and their influence is quite large.

1 minute ago, The Ronz said:

Macomb County, MI.

Nazism was imported back to Detroit after World War II via Operation Overcast/Paperclip.

Many Hitler Jugend as well as their progeny still live in Macomb County and their influence is quite large.

Having been a Detroiter during the white flight years it was an interesting pattern that the East/West division of the city was largely maintained as people moved to the suburbs. East Siders went to Warren/Macomb Co., West Siders to West Wayne and Oakland Co. The East Side of Det had more transplanted Southerners prior to the exodus than the west side, and the racial animus carried through, even if muted, to the suburbs. So you still find today that Oakland county is bluer and Macomb Co redder.

7 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Your assignment is clear. You need to throw a big all-day party for all these 'friends' on 11/5 which is so good they forget to go vote. 

4 hours ago, The Ronz said:

It is a cult.

Do you live in Spokane?

3 hours ago, The Ronz said:

I don’t remember that from when I lived in Macomb County between 1963 and 1991.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't remember any Nazi marches or seeing swastikas.  I lived there from 1969-83.      I had a couple of Uncles that lives in Sterling Heights that were shockingly racist, but my Dad, who also lived in Sterling Heights called them a couple of idiots for being racists.  

One of those uncles refused to allow anyone in his house to even watch Black people on TV.     So, no Flip Wilson Show in that house.      Archie Bunker was a liberal to him.          Of all the women I know, only one is Trump supporter and she's the one who banned me from her house for saying Jesus looked more like Bin Laden than Brad Pitt.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

You wouldn't know any of this unless you are of German heritage.

Werner von Braun's brother Magnus worked for Chrysler in Warren.

Many former Nazi's worked in the automotive industry and the supporting businesses, tool and die shops, etc.

It wasn't something that was well advertised but if you knew - you knew.

Edited by The Ronz

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't remember it from living here since 2003.  I'm not saying there aren't folks that would be upset if a black family moved in next to them, but I just don't see Macomb as a bastion of hate.  

I'm also not seeing as many Trump signs and most of the Macomb women I know that talk politics are voting Harris, a few of them were previous Trump voters too.  Based on what I see out of the 'cult', those that don't talk about politics much, probably aren't your typical MAGA cult folks either.  

9 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Many former Nazi's worked in the automotive industry and the supporting businesses, tool and die shops, etc.

That's painting a broad brush.

Early labor movements had deep seeded communist ties.  Unions continue to exist with your most famous actors/actresses being a part of them.  Outside of a few elite actors guild members like that guy that was in that 80's sitcom....think his name is Chachi or something, they all support democrats.  Hence, democrats = communist.

9 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Using your logic you can say the same about Dearborn. After all, Henry Ford was a well known sympathizer. 

15 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Macomb County, MI.

Yeesh.

I was looking to buy a home in Macomb, I hope I don't run into any of the people you know, they sound terrible.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I don't remember it from living here since 2003.  ...

I'm also not seeing as many Trump signs and most of the Macomb women I know that talk politics are voting Harris, a few of them were previous Trump voters too.  Based ...

I'll stick on the Ewsieg side of town.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeesh.

I was looking to buy a home in Macomb, I hope I don't run into any of the people you know, they sound terrible.

I'll stick on the Ewsieg side of town.

Thank you very much.

Being from Macomb, and still having family there - the further north you get, the more conservative it gets. Going north of 14 Mile it’s going to get more red. My parents, sisters, and uncle are all pretty liberal in Roseville and St Clair Shores (not liberal overall, my sister’s neighborhood in SCS has Trump flags everywhere). My aunt and cousins are super MAGA and they are in Sterling Heights and Shelby. 

23 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Being from Macomb, and still having family there - the further north you get, the more conservative it gets. Going north of 14 Mile it’s going to get more red. My parents, sisters, and uncle are all pretty liberal in Roseville and St Clair Shores (not liberal overall, my sister’s neighborhood in SCS has Trump flags everywhere). My aunt and cousins are super MAGA and they are in Sterling Heights and Shelby. 

I was looking St. Clair Shores, Harrison Township, and Chesterfield...

That's pretty much going northwards from Grosse Pointe...

So I'm going to need to keep my radar on high to distinguish friend from fascist... yes?

PS: Isn't Shelby on the west side of Michigan? My dad had 20 acres near Hart/ Shelby where we did camping and deer hunting... Went to Lake Michigan beaches (Ludington) and Silver Lake Sand Dunes a lot as a kid...

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was looking St. Clair Shores, Harrison Township, and Chesterfield...

That's pretty much going northwards from Grosse Pointe...

So I'm going to need to keep my radar on high to distinguish friend from fascist... yes?

PS: Isn't Shelby on the west side of Michigan? My dad had 20 acres near Hart/ Shelby where we did camping and deer hunting... Went to Lake Michigan beaches (Ludington) and Silver Lake Sand Dunes a lot as a kid...

Those areas are likely on the conservative side. Shelby Township was the place I was referring to, which borders to the north of Utica. 

Painting a broad brush again, but in terms of what we're seeing with national polls, I'd venture Harris is getting a lot of support out of Shelby (college educated) right now.  I'm over on the Northeast portion of Macomb, near St. Clair county.  Definitely more red out here than lower Macomb, I still haven't been invited to a local Klan or Nazi meeting yet though.  I wouldn't want to go, but now I don't feel like a part of my community either.  I'm going to tell my neighbors I should at least get an invite to the next one.   

I did have a chocolate lab when I moved in, they probably just saw us as a mixed family and thus why I'm not included.

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Painting a broad brush again, but in terms of what we're seeing with national polls, I'd venture Harris is getting a lot of support out of Shelby (college educated) right now.  I'm over on the Northeast portion of Macomb, near St. Clair county.  Definitely more red out here than lower Macomb, I still haven't been invited to a local Klan or Nazi meeting yet though.  I wouldn't want to go, but now I don't feel like a part of my community either.  I'm going to tell my neighbors I should at least get an invite to the next one.   

I did have a chocolate lab when I moved in, they probably just saw us as a mixed family and thus why I'm not included.

Maybe it’s changed in four years, but Shelby Twp was pretty soundly for Trump in 2020

https://www.clickondetroit.com/decision-2020/2020/11/10/how-detroits-macomb-county-suburbs-voted-in-2020-presidential-election/#//

IMG_7782.jpeg