2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It says a lot about Republican donors think this, and not the fact that Scott is polling in low-single digits, is alarming.

They may be concerned he might be the next James Buchanan in the White House, and not concerned in the way that facilitated the War Between the States.

I want Corey Booker for President.  He’s so so so freakin’ happy all the time.  
I guess cause not only is he single (but fairly certain not gay, though wouldn’t matter not one iota to me), but he’s also vegan.  
He’ll be a less miserable s.o.b. because, you know… more “regular”. … 😏…. Less  “backed up”.  He tells great corny jokes.  And he’s a daily runner, even in a few questionable neighborhoods…. So , I’m guessing he’s got some speed when needed.  
He’s a good egg. He’s Superman. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I want Corey Booker for President.  He’s so so so freakin’ happy all the time.  
I guess cause not only is he single (but fairly certain not gay, though wouldn’t matter not one iota to me), but he’s also vegan.  
He’ll be a less miserable s.o.b. because, you know… more “regular”. … 😏…. Less  “backed up”.  He tells great corny jokes.  And he’s a daily runner, even in a few questionable neighborhoods…. So , I’m guessing he’s got some speed when needed.  
He’s a good egg. He’s Superman. 

I'm a big fan too

I saw today that even the Bulwark podcast is pushing a Whitmer administration.  Then I heard about this:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/michigan/article_90af2056-475d-11ee-bf0a-6754276e0984.html

This is what I hate about politics, Snyder complained about transparency in government in Michigan, then Whitmer did as well, no one fixes it while they are in power, as they want the benefit from it.  

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I saw today that even the Bulwark podcast is pushing a Whitmer administration.  Then I heard about this:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/michigan/article_90af2056-475d-11ee-bf0a-6754276e0984.html

This is what I hate about politics, Snyder complained about transparency in government in Michigan, then Whitmer did as well, no one fixes it while they are in power, as they want the benefit from it.  

Interesting. Who filed the lawsuit?

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Interesting. Who filed the lawsuit?

Had to dig a bit, but in the end, I guess it depends who you ask and what political spin you want to put on it.  Daretha Braziel is the named plaintiff, but I found https://www.bentonharborwatercrisis.com/ which appears to be setup to get more folks into a class action suit.  Republicans will point that it's citizens in a mostly black town suing, Democrats will probably say it's big time lawyers riding Flint coattails trying to cash in.  In the end, even if it's gross misconduct from the State, Whitmer won't be held accountable.  

28 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Had to dig a bit, 

Which is kind of the point. None of the stories running in TheBlaze, InstaPundit, Ground News, Fox, NY Post, and others, reported who brought the lawsuit, a standard piece of information in any news story about a lawsuit. They didn’t even bother reporting the named plaintiff in the suit, probably for reasons. And it seems that despite the horror that underpins the suit itself, the only detail they’re really interested in is that of the use of Greek letters as code to thwart FOIA attempts, which sounds really dubious on its face, but which certainly serves their apparent purpose of portraying Gretchen Whitmer as an obfuscating phony baloney. Looks like it’s working, too, since you seemed more exercised about that than about the potential poisoning of Benton Harbor residents by their water.

I’m interested in this story now. I want to see whether reports of actual poisoning will outlast reports of Greek letter misuse in these right wing publications.

Edited by chasfh

that's like the kitty litter box in schools thing.... some moron gets a crazy idea and of course the fringe RW media jumps all over it and has their tinfoil hat circle jerk.  Can't wait for Joe Rogan's take....

"Hey.... I got a great idea.  Let's use different fonts. THEY'LL NEVER KNOW!"

As a kid in baptist school we were taught that certain clothing brands would put devil symbols on their jeans.  We weren't allowed to wear them.  Seriously.  These are the same ****ing people who are so gullible they believe anything.

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

LOL

Hey, now this is interesting: following this story down the rabbit hole a little but, turns out Michigan has been cited by the Center for Public Integrity as having the worst transparency and accountability of any state in the union:

https://publicintegrity.org/politics/state-politics/state-integrity-investigation/michigan-gets-f-grade-in-2015-state-integrity-investigation/

See? So Gretchen Whitmer is an obfuscating phony baloney after all! She obviously was in cahoots with former governor Rick Snyder and the Republicans back in 2013 leading the effort to pass all those laws blocking public accountability so she can keep watchdogs at bay while she pursues her agenda of killing people in majority black cities with poisoned water. She’s such a bitch!

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

As a kid in baptist school we were taught that certain clothing brands would put devil symbols on their jeans.  We weren't allowed to wear them.  Seriously.  These are the same ****ing people who are so gullible they believe anything.

I’m sorry—they taught you this in school? During class? By state-accredited teachers whose salaries came out of tuition paid by your parents? Yikes.

I think I might have seen that in one of those Chick tracts people would leave all over Tech Plaza, and that didn’t cost taxpayers a penny.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m sorry—they taught you this in school? During class? By state-accredited teachers whose salaries came out of tuition paid by your parents? Yikes.

I think I might have seen that in one of those Chick tracts people would leave all over Tech Plaza, and that didn’t cost taxpayers a penny.

it was a private school.  I have no idea if they were state accredited.  Religion and education were mixed together as one.

Most people went there because their local school "had too many black kids".

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

it was a private school.  I have no idea if they were state accredited.  Religion and education were mixed together as one.

Most people went there because their local school "had too many black kids".

I developed this hypothesis during the last few years in which I wonder whether the reason there were so many working- and lower-middle class kids in my Catholic schools in the 1970s is because of the threat of busing back then. When I went to my 40-year high school reunion a few years ago, I was struck by how many people there graduated and never went to college and instead went directly into a blue collar work life. Even now I remember a lot of kids back then spent half the school day at SEOVEC, which was a vocational center for high school age kids.

Vocational careers are super important and a vital lubricant of the industrial-, service-, and care-based economy and to society at large, and people in them are, in many cases, angels on earth for the work they do. That said, I can't imagine many parents paying five figures a year for Catholic school tuition today and being perfectly content with their kids graduating directly into blue or pink collar work.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I developed this hypothesis during the last few years in which I wonder whether the reason there were so many working- and lower-middle class kids in my Catholic schools in the 1970s is because of the threat of busing back then.

having lived in Detroit at 'ground zero', which is to say a neighborhood about to go through 'white flight' in the late 60's 70's I would say you are no under no obligation to call this a theory, it was fact. There were two good sized Catholic parishes in our area of NW Det that both operated schools, St. Mary's of Redford and St. Scholastica/Benedictine and I knew any number of kids that moved back and forth between the public and parochial system. There were three primary reasons a family sent their kids to a parochial school. 1) the family was devout 2) the student had worn out their welcome at Public School and it was suggested to the parents that their child (well OK, mostly 'he' ) would do better in an environment where discipline was meted out somewhat more sternly. 3) the fact that Detroit was making even modest efforts to integrate our public school  and that a bigger busing case was moving through the courts was more than many families could take.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

having lived in Detroit at 'ground zero', which is to say a neighborhood about to go through 'white flight' in the late 60's 70's I would say you are no under no obligation to call this a theory, it was fact. There were two good sized Catholic parishes in our area of NW Det that both operated schools, St. Mary's of Redford and St. Scholastica/Benedictine and I knew any number of kids that moved back and forth between the public and parochial system. There were three primary reasons a family sent their kids to a parochial school. 1) the family was devout 2) the student had worn out their welcome at Public School and it was suggested to the parents that their child (well OK, mostly 'he' ) would do better in an environment where discipline was meted out somewhat more sternly. 3) the fact that Detroit was making even modest efforts to integrate our public school  and that a bigger busing case was moving through the courts was more than many families could take.

Another part of it might have been that Catholic school was relatively cheaper then than now. I remember specifically that my senior year cost $995/year in tuition, which works out to roughly $4,400/year today. That's pricey, especially when compared to public school, but my same Catholic school today charges $12,300/year.

If you want to do a little alternative history exercise on the Detroit metro area - imagine what would/could have happened if cross-district bussing had been the decision. White Detroit may have sighed in relief when the decision came down, but it was the death knell for their town. I would argue the level to which Detroit fell would not have been nearly as severe if it had gone the other way. All cities did badly in the last decades of the 20th cent, but it didn't need to be as bad in Detroit as it was if people hadn't been given such an easy choice to flee.