2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

13 minutes ago, MIguy said:

You're trying to frame this as if the USA would just barge in and start unleashing their fury.   Think more joint missions and less carpet bombing. 

My fear for that scenario is then the drug cartels bring the war into the US where we start to see kidnappings, reporters shot, judges blown up, etc on our soil.  If we can bring it to them then they will bring it to us.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

My fear for that scenario is then the drug cartels bring the war into the US where we start to see kidnappings, reporters shot, judges blown up, etc on our soil.  If we can bring it to them then they will bring it to us.

The USA has several cartel leaders in their custody, including El Chapo and his son.   If the cartels had the capability to launch attacks on our soil, they would have certainly done so by now in my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, MIguy said:

You're trying to frame this as if the USA would just barge in and start unleashing their fury.   Think more joint missions and less carpet bombing. 

There have been Mexican administrations in years past that were more open to assistance from US LEO, if not direct military, than the current one. Things ebb and flow in Mexico. This does not seem to be one of the better eras. TBH, I would guess the way things are going we are going to start seeing more El Salvador solutions to our South.

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Neither candidate said it how you're characterizing it here, at all.... and that's the only frame we have.   

I cannot confirm if either candidate has discussed this already with the Mexican government but I suspect not, as this would be against the law.  If all of that is true then there's no compulsion to accept your framing of it.  

It also would not be surprising to me if Tiny D esp would talk a big tuff guy game and say they're going in regardless of what the Mexican govt says but that's definitely speculation. 

Edited by pfife

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There have been Mexican administrations in years past that were more open to assistance from US LEO, if not direct military, than the current one. Things ebb and flow in Mexico. This does not seem to be one of the better eras. TBH, I would guess the way things are going we are going to start seeing more El Salvador solutions to our South.

Yeah, the current president sure seems to be on the side or the cartels, or at least oblivious to what is actually going on.  Just saw an article from earlier in the year where he claimed that "fentanyl is America's problem" and that the drug is not being made in his country.  

27 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Yeah, the current president sure seems to be on the side or the cartels, or at least oblivious to what is actually going on.  Just saw an article from earlier in the year where he claimed that "fentanyl is America's problem" and that the drug is not being made in his country.  

and of course, the Fentanyl problem is in reality just the echo of the Oxycontin problem. The growth of the fentanyl 'market' has been driven in large part by the ending of opiate over-prescription. But once you create a mass population of addicts it's  like a pig in a python. They don't just go away just because their 1st pusher gets busted (in this case US Pharma).  They, and their need for fixes, will continue to move through the demographic.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and of course, the Fentanyl problem is in reality just the echo of the Oxycontin problem. The growth of the fentanyl 'market' has been driven in large part by the ending of opiate over-prescription. But once you create a mass population of addicts it's  like a pig in a python. They don't just go away just because their 1st pusher gets busted (in this case US Pharma).  They, and their need for fixes, will continue to move through the demographic.

and of course, one way to see the Oxycontin disaster is as a massive regulatory failure, and which party is it that constantly whines about and is consistently working to deregulate their corporate sponsors?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

The current Mexican government is tending towards Fascist and would sooner allow the Chinese or Russian military into their country and ZERO chance of letting in any USA troops, anti-drug Special Forces or otherwise.

Chance of joint Mexican-USA forces missions: NONE.

Youngkin is Trump lite (like the rest of them) Not as swarmy as Tiny D, but has no track record. Bills himself as a successful businessman. In truth he was pushed out of the business.

He only won in Va because his opponent was an uninspiring Clintonite. And the So called mainline GOP heads rigged the "primary" to stop a real Trumpster from winning because nobody liked her.

Edited by CMRivdogs

8 hours ago, MIguy said:

The USA has several cartel leaders in their custody, including El Chapo and his son.   If the cartels had the capability to launch attacks on our soil, they would have certainly done so by now in my opinion. 

Maybe they haven't done so by now because they haven't been attacked on their soil by the U.S. military yet.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, MIguy said:

The crazy Kennedy is going Independent.  

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/exclusive-robert-f-kennedy-jr-planning-to-announce-independent-run/

I just hope people on the left are smart enough to look past his last name to see what a crackpot he is.  

I hope someone tracks down where his money is coming from. That should be a much more interesting story than his campaign.

• Like 3