2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

But what’s the difference? No one who was either there, or watched it on OAN, newsmax, Fox, etc. will ever hear that it was inaccurate, or as most people like to call it - another bald-face lie.

He lies every day. The next day it’s fact checked and pronounced a lie )or “inaccurate”), and it doesn’t matter. 

This is the world we now live in. Lies do not ever cause the liar any negative repercussions, so what’s the point in correcting them. 

It’s all honestly depressing.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

But what’s the difference? No one who was either there, or watched it on OAN, newsmax, Fox, etc. will ever hear that it was inaccurate, or as most people like to call it - another bald-face lie.

He lies every day. The next day it’s fact checked and pronounced a lie )or “inaccurate”), and it doesn’t matter. 

This is the world we now live in. Lies do not ever cause the liar any negative repercussions, so what’s the point in correcting them. 

It’s all honestly depressing.

It really is.

6 hours ago, ewsieg said:

10 Bill Clintons paired up with 20 Alan Greenspans, coming off of 50 Bush Sr tax increases couldn't have handled Covid without some legitimate economic pain.

I'm not saying Trump handled it well, but democrats need to be careful how they play this argument.  With kids, folks are realizing how much shutting everything down affected them and their learning.  It wasn't the GOP that wanted them couped up alone for a couple of years.  The economy, assuming no major changes in the next 6 months, should be pretty much a non-factor, which generally supports the incumbent.  

Edited by Sports_Freak

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Sarah Longwell made a point on a podcast recently that while abortion isn't always listed as a top issue for voters in surveys, at least in the focus group setting, when you peel back the layers of the onion a bit, people end up displaying a lot of passion and intensity around it.

I suspect that's a little of what's at play here.... when the rubber meets the road and when people step into the ballot box, it's something that manfiests.

The marijuana issues also brings out many more voters. And many of them favor the democrats.

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Immigration is the #1 issue confronting voters as per this WSJ national poll taken in February.

https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/election-2024-immigration-issue-voters-84916a17?mod=mhp

"If those folks from NY, NJ, Fla, and Texas stop moving in then maybe they'll stop cutting down all the trees and building subdivisions on unwanted farmland"

That seems to be the current trend on Nextdoor. Or to quote a waitress from Western North Carolina a few years ago. "This place would be better if it weren't for the "Half-Backs"

Hey but that was before Trump and Fox started screaming about the Mexican boarder.

Posted (edited)

I genuinely love immigrants and have no idea why we would think its a good idea to keep them out.    These people persevere like Americans wish they could.   They come here and succeed at capitalism when they don't even know our language.   I work with immigrants that do extremely high quality work and did it after overcoming all of the obstacles that come with migrating.   It's absolutely amazing and incredible to me.

What a dip**** policy to get rid of people with that mentality toward life.   It's basically punching yourself in the stick

Edited by pfife
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Random Twitter guy but sums it better than I could. 

Biden is the 1st Democrat since Kennedy who actually has some new ideas how to run a middle class capitalist economy. If we actually had useful public interest new programming any more, this would be big topic of discussion in intellectual circles. Instead the right's media is just in adversarial fantasy land and the left's is to busy with it's normal naval gazing self-absorption on issues of that are of peripheral importance in the real world.

22 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Immigration is the #1 issue confronting voters as per this WSJ national poll taken in February.

https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/election-2024-immigration-issue-voters-84916a17?mod=mhp

Tom Souzzi ran on immigration. His Republican opponent was relentless in attacking on immigration. He flipped the district. You need to lay off the WSJ. 

A blowout hiring report. Every month is another, Wow!

The pre opening market is green and the ten year yield has moved up a bit. The Fed is in a quandary of sorts. 

Edited by 1776

54 minutes ago, 1776 said:

According to the poll, it's the number one issue for 20% of voters. Which, if my math is correct, means that 80% of voters prioritize other issues higher.

Just think we need a little perspective here.... it's a big issue, but other issues matter to the electorate as well.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

According to the poll, it's the number one issue for 20% of voters...

Are you PURPOSELY...

SLANTING or PREJUDICING your posts...?

It's beginning to seem that way.

Bigly.

An anecdote that I think applies here: the 2022 Pennsylvania Senate Election.

John Fetterman had a stroke during the campaign which visibly impacted him and, subsequently, caused his opponent and supporters of his opponent (Dr. Oz) to make a significant issue of his health. Surveys that were done of the election showed that while Fetterman generally maintained a lead throughout, voters had significant concerns about his health. In the debate held between the two candidates, Fetterman was perceived to be DOA by many people (including in the mainstream media) due to a shaky debate performance that was undoubtedly influenced by the after effects of his stroke. 

Fast forward to election day.... I'm watching CNN and the panel received exit poll data. One of the questions asked was whether Fetterman's health or Dr. Oz being a longtime resident of NJ was a bigger issue.... voters said Oz's residency questions were a bigger issue by a 55-45 margin. The panel was stunned by the result (though they shouldn't have been). Fetterman ended up going on to win by 5 points, and it's likely his stroke didn't have much impact at all on Pennsylvanians when they entered the voting booth.

This is a good example of why we need to be careful in declaring how elections are going to turn on one thing or another, especially this far out.

Edited by mtutiger

Speaking of Fetterman, I remember the debate he had with Oz and the pundits all thought he struggled but I think what voters took away from that debate that was not talked about was Oz saying that abortion would be between a woman and her elected official. Media continues to downplay Dobbs. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Reasonable people can disagree on a message board.

I get that...

But he's creating "headlines" that are very misleading.

So I believe it a legitimate question to ask if he is doing that on purpose...

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of Fetterman, I remember the debate he had with Oz and the pundits all thought he struggled but I think what voters took away from that debate that was not talked about was Oz saying that abortion would be between a woman and her elected official. Media continues to downplay Dobbs. 

You would be correct.... that gaffe likely had a far bigger impact on the election than Fetterman's performance did. Despite the overwhelming media attention given to Fetterman's performance at the time.

Edited by mtutiger

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Are you PURPOSELY...

SLANTING or PREJUDICING your posts...?

It's beginning to seem that way.

Bigly.

Yesterday there was some back and forth comments regarding immigration in this very thread. I believe that my position was/is that the immigration was going to be a bigger consideration for voters than is being acknowledged here. I still believe that.

Lo and behold this article shows up in the WSJ this morning as I am having my first cup of Lavazza Italian coffee. This article supports my point from yesterday’s conversations. So I attach it here. Immigration IS registering as a larger concern than some here and, elsewhere, are willing to acknowledge. 

Where and how can I be suspected of slanting or prejudicing posts based on the above? Is it the source I provided that raises the question. I’m interested in your perspective.