2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

14 hours ago, smr-nj said:

You would think so, but we are now 7+ years removed from normalcy, so I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

Normacly or decency?  Because after 7+ years, I think this has unfortunately become somewhat normal.

Another primary and once again Haley is polling 20% of the vote this time in Nebraska. A red state with a closed primary. These are registered Republicans. The numbers get even worse for Trump around Lincoln and the swing district around Omaha. 

Same story in Maryland. Maryland has a closed primary so you can say it’s blue state democrats crossing over. 

Posted (edited)

and MSM reported remains ridiculous. Huge headline in WaPo this morning from W.VA that GOP chances of holding the Senate "SKYROCKET!" with the Jim Justice win. Sorry, no, the probability of the Dems holding W.Va didn't change at all last night, they changed the day Manchin announced his retirement and nothing last night changed anything at all. The Justice win was a completely foregone conclusion.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm wondering what such a debate will even look like. Trump has no incentive to follow any rules, so what kinds of controls will be in place to stop him from simply yammering over Biden and shouting him down? How do they get Trump to agree to any decorum? Because if he acts out and gets completely out of control, and moderators can't or won't enforce any sanctions on him in the moment, then what's Biden's recourse? Shout back at Trump? Get in a fistfight with him? Walk off the stage? I feel as though any response along these lines would hurt Biden far more than Trump. I assume they've already game-planned this out enough that they can make the offer in the first place, but I'm having trouble seeing how the inevitable breakdown during the debate will benefit Biden.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm wondering what such a debate will even look like. Trump has no incentive to follow any rules, so what kinds of controls will be in place to stop him from simply yammering over Biden and shouting him down? How do they get Trump to agree to any decorum? Because if he acts out and gets completely out of control, and moderators can't or won't enforce any sanctions on him in the moment, then what's Biden's recourse? Shout back at Trump? Get in a fistfight with him? Walk off the stage? I feel as though any response along these lines would hurt Biden far more than Trump. I assume they've already game-planned this out enough that they can make the offer in the first place, but I'm having trouble seeing how the inevitable breakdown during the debate will benefit Biden.

I'm skeptical any debates will happen.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This definitely seems a likely series of events but with that video it seems like the Biden campaign may be trying to get under his skin and get him to lose it.   

1 minute ago, pfife said:

This definitely seems a likely series of events but with that video it seems like the Biden campaign may be trying to get under his skin and get him to lose it.   

That's what I'm starting to wonder, whether Biden is merely calling his bluff, assuming Trump will bail on it. Biden made the offer, so he can't be the one to pull out.

YES! NO AUDIENCE! I've been pushing for THAT for YEARS!

I am shocked that Trump would agree to that—assuming he did so before CNN put out this press release. Because a gaggle of braying morons cheering him on is his rocket fuel. Without that kind of raucous audience approval, Trump is going to sound merely unhinged and horrifying.

I hope this actually comes off because I can't wait to see something like this!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2024/05/14/president-biden-new-tariffs-on-china-economy/73684903007/

More tariffs, but without even knowing much about them, I know they are good because Biden says they are.  Unlike the Trump tariffs which were enacted without any thought, even though Biden reviewed and determined it was exactly what he would have done and kept them in place.  Must of have God's work to guide the Plinko chips to the correct tariffs when Trump picked them so haphazardly. 

Seriously though, looks like he's trying to give US producers some more time to compete with cheap EV's.  I see the argument.  Definitely something the new GOP wouldn't be against either.  Guessing GM and Ford pushed for this.  Only concern is I could see the progressives getting upset as it'll slow the rate of electric vehicles into our markets.  I suspect it won't register much though.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

While on one hand it is a pretty good dig, on the other hand, is this the behavior that we should expect out of political leaders?

Unfortunately the only way to get to bullies like Trump or his minions is to stoop to their level. Otherwise you get labeled as soft. 

Personally instead of a debate I would prefer a duel. Are they still legal in NJ?