2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Polls are basically horoscopes at this point. Some people will use them to confirm their priors, but they are essentially useless.  

This is a perfect summation of what polls are and what they’re worth anymore. You get double credit if you came up with that on your own.

This is a long way from my being able to use the 2008 polls to win ten bucks from a friend by predicting who was going to win and what the electoral count would be. I got 49 out of 50 states right.

What an interesting tagline: “Rush in support now.” Is that what people support Trump? They “rush in” support? “Rush in”. Where have I heard that before? It sounds so familiar … “rush in” … hmmm … “rush in” … I definitely know that from somewhere … 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

David Frum goofed up the spooling of that thread...here is the most important post

This is exactly the demographic that I felt would be most strongly affected by the verdict.

Biden-ambivalent, mildly-to-strongly-Anti-Trump. Independents. Indies will be the most strongly effected because Republicans (30% of the country) and Dems (35% of the country) are mostly hard-baked in. Energize the base, and pull in as many Indies as possible. Including suburban and other women upset about Roe v Wade. That wins November.

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

David Frum goofed up the spooling of that thread...here is the most important post

I’m part of this group and would agree.  

I miss the now dead GOP that cared about economic policy and fiscal responsibility instead of Christian fundamentalism and guns. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I miss the now dead GOP that cared about economic policy and fiscal responsibility instead of Christian fundamentalism and guns. 

I'm probably the closest to a classic neo-con.  If our worldview hadn't been destroyed by 20 years of intervening to create more democracies, Democracy would be in better shape worldwide.  As i've said before: I still worship at the alter of collective security, trade between nations and the Rule of Law.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

All due respect, anyone who was objectively observing them from outside could see they’d been moving that way for decades. Once the deficit ballooned under Reagan, and then under Bush, and dropped hard under Clinton, and shot back up under Baby Bush, Republicans lost any credible claim to fiscal responsibility, at least if we’re talking about reality.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I'm probably the closest to a classic neo-con.  If our worldview hadn't been destroyed by 20 years of intervening to create more democracies, Democracy would be in better shape worldwide.  As i've said before: I still worship at the alter of collective security, trade between nations and the Rule of Law.

I resemble that.

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All due respect, anyone who was objectively observing them from outside could see they’d been moving that way for decades. Once the deficit ballooned under Reagan, and then under Bush, and dropped hard under Clinton, and shot back up under Baby Bush, Republicans lost any credible claim to fiscal responsibility, at least if we’re talking about reality.

I have ebbed and flowed party-wise. Of course, coming of age during Vietnam, I hated Nixon, but one couldn't hold VN against the GOP per se since the Dems had started it. I knew Reagan didn't know what he was talking about most of the time, but he did have some incredibly competent people around him (Shultz, Baker etc) and Carter, who may have grown into a great soul today, was a feckless president the economy probably wouldn't have survived for another 4 yrs. I was a fan of GHWB; a competent President, but hopelessly inept politician. I was bitterly disappointed (as noted here often) that the Dems backed Clinton after he lied under oath - I still take that as one the original sins of today's US politics. Thus I was seriously down on the Dems institutionally in 2000. I think Shrub was actually the better con man than Trump because he came in pretty much promising to be his father but in actuality was the executive model for Trump - built an admin full of hacks, then was able to get re-elected by wrapping himself in 9/11. Then just for toppers he normalized using the levers of the State to lie to the public in support of foreign policy to start a large war,  then had no clue how to get out of any of the messes he had made, plus left us with us a parting gift in Alito  - who is turning out to be an even worse hack than Thomas, hard as that is to believe. But Shrub's presidency was no outlier to the GOP the way you could at least argue Nixon's rouge behavior was. By Bush II that was the GOP, so if you couldn't walk away from the GOP by 2008 I'd tell you that you weren't/aren't really paying close enough attention.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm proud to say I never once voted for a Republican. The worst I ever did was vote for Kwame Kilpatrick but I was an 18 year old caught up in his charisma and being able to vote for the first time. 

Kwame seemed like a break from a failed past of the prior generations of leadership in Det. In retrospect it may have been good that he won even if he turned out to be crook because it made that break.

I've never voted GOP for President. I liked John Anderson in 1980, but didn't vote since we were in the process of moving and absentee ballot was a bit too difficult then.

I did vote for Snyder both times he ran for governor. TBH I wasn't familiar  with Bernero. In 2014 what I saw of Schauer did not impress me at all. He was also a major jerk in the negotiations leading up to the debate (they had at Wayne State (and immediately afterward) that I couldn't even bring myself to consider him a serious candidate.

I was very turned off by the sleaze of politics for a long time. Still, I couldn’t get over the feeling that I had a civic responsibility to cast a vote even if the system was broken.    My voting record is a complete scrambled mess.  

92: Clinton

96: Clinton

00: Gore

04: Bush

08: McCain

12: Obama (I literally flipped a coin in the booth)

16: Trump 

20: Biden

24: Biden 

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

What an interesting tagline: “Rush in support now.” Is that what people support Trump? They “rush in” support? “Rush in”. Where have I heard that before? It sounds so familiar … “rush in” … hmmm … “rush in” … I definitely know that from somewhere … 

What a bunch of morons.  Imagine sending your hard earned money to that **** bag.  

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I was very turned off by the sleaze of politics for a long time. Still, I couldn’t get over the feeling that I had a civic responsibility to cast a vote even if the system was broken.    My voting record is a complete scrambled mess.  

92: Clinton

96: Clinton

00: Gore

04: Bush

08: McCain

12: Obama (I literally flipped a coin in the booth)

16: Trump 

20: Biden

24: Biden 

1980 Anderson - Wrote a paper about him for school.

1984 Probably Reagan (Don't remember) - Just remember that Tigers had a pretty good year.

1988 Dukakis - Greek from Massachusetts.

1992 Perot - Because he was hlarious.

1996 Perot - Because he was hilarious.

2000 Buchanan - just for fun

2004 Kerry - from Massachusetts

2008 Obama - First president in my voting time that was both intelligent and not a **** bag.

2012 Obama - Still looking pretty good and Republicans getting too creepy to consider.  

2016 Clinton - Because she wasn't Trump.

2020 Biden - Because he wasn't Trump.

2024 Biden - Opponent is worst person in US history.  

Edited by Tiger337

So, the thing i'll tell any GOP person who is upset about this verdict, is they should come up with a better candidate in time for July 11.  Nothing wrong with Nikki Haley (besides her being a grasping power mad person who should show more backbone).

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, the thing i'll tell any GOP person who is upset about this verdict, is they should come up with a better candidate in time for July 11.  Nothing wrong with Nikki Haley (besides her being a grasping power mad person who should show more backbone).

Yeah, she’s a weasel, all right.