2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I was very turned off by the sleaze of politics for a long time. Still, I couldn’t get over the feeling that I had a civic responsibility to cast a vote even if the system was broken.    My voting record is a complete scrambled mess.  

92: Clinton

96: Clinton

00: Gore

04: Bush

08: McCain

12: Obama (I literally flipped a coin in the booth)

16: Trump 

20: Biden

24: Biden 

04: Bush

08: McCain

12: Romney

16: #FeelTheJohnson

20: Biden

24: Biden

92 Clinton

96 Dole (I was deep into the libertarian stuff at this point and was going to vote for Harry Browne but decided in the booth to vote for Dole given his WWII service and sacrifice)

The rest was GOP until Hillary in ‘16. The only Republican I will ever vote for again would be someone against Rashida in my district if it were competitive. 

11 hours ago, oblong said:

92 Clinton

96 Dole (I was deep into the libertarian stuff at this point and was going to vote for Harry Browne but decided in the booth to vote for Dole given his WWII service and sacrifice)

The rest was GOP until Hillary in ‘16. The only Republican I will ever vote for again would be someone against Rashida in my district if it were competitive. 

I don't write off any Republican because in my districts that is the only choice and sometimes I just have to pick the non-crazy one.

only GOP I voted for was in 1996, John Warner (against Mark Warner who would eventually win) because John came out against Oliver North when he ran for Senate. Today, Ollie would need to move hard right to be MAGA.

Only way I could see myself voting Republican is if I lived in a solid red state like Wyoming. I would have registered as a Republican and voted for Liz Cheney in the primary and then vote for the Democrat in the general regardless if Cheney won the primary. 

WASHINGTON—President Biden is expected to sign an executive order Tuesday that would ban migrants who cross the border illegally from claiming asylum, allowing them to be quickly deported back to Mexico or their home countries, according to officials familiar with the planning.

The order, which Biden plans to sign alongside several mayors from southern-border communities, will restrict the flow of migrants over the border by making it illegal to claim asylum if someone crosses into the U.S. illegally. The move is expected to be met with legal challenges, and in any event could prove tough to implement without significant additional funding from Congress.

Biden’s decision comes as polls show the border becoming a priority issue for voters, with a majority of Americans in polls expressing dissatisfaction with his handling of the issue. 

Source: WSJ

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

WASHINGTON—President Biden is expected to sign an executive order Tuesday that would ban migrants who cross the border illegally from claiming asylum, allowing them to be quickly deported back to Mexico or their home countries, according to officials familiar with the planning.

The order, which Biden plans to sign alongside several mayors from southern-border communities, will restrict the flow of migrants over the border by making it illegal to claim asylum if someone crosses into the U.S. illegally. The move is expected to be met with legal challenges, and in any event could prove tough to implement without significant additional funding from Congress.

Biden’s decision comes as polls show the border becoming a priority issue for voters, with a majority of Americans in polls expressing dissatisfaction with his handling of the issue. 

Source: WSJ

Great job JB! Should have been done this way long ago.

11 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

So if they “fixed” it never really happened, right

OK, they definitely have to be trolling us here. Nobody makes this choice by accident. I mean, come on.

Most of the squad are getting primary challengers. A lot of them got elected by primaring incumbents. They called for Biden to debate a primary challenger. Some are campaigning against Biden and encouraging voters to vote uncommitted. Now that they are getting primaried, they want unity.