2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I was reminded today by one of the blogs I follow that whomever wins the election has a good chance of appointing 2 or possibly three new Supreme Court justices. Thomas and Alito are both in their 70s (75 and 73) and will likely retire if Trump takes office.

Sotomayor is 69 and is rumored to have health problems, it's likely she may resign right after the election to allow Biden to rush her replacement thru the Senate while there's still a slight majority.

A bit of a wildcard is Roberts who is also 69. He's likely to just say the hell with it within the next 4 years. That would actually make 4, though I think he may try to stick it out.

A Trump victory and Roberts retirement would likely mean that he would get to appoint 7 of the nine justices. Most of them young enough to stick around for the next 15-20 years.

Definitely  a frightening prospect

12 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Definitely  a frightening prospect

Terrifying. 5 seats is all they need, and the GQP is looking at getting more than that for decades.

The Bernie Bros told me it did not matter if Trump or Hillary won, and then when Roe v Wade was overturned, student debt relief was blocked, the VRA gutted, affirmative action rolled back - they all shrugged because I guess they don't care about policy, and mostly care about moaning and groaning.

14 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Terrifying. 5 seats is all they need, and the GQP is looking at getting more than that for decades.

The Bernie Bros told me it did not matter if Trump or Hillary won, and then when Roe v Wade was overturned, student debt relief was blocked, the VRA gutted, affirmative action rolled back - they all shrugged because I guess they don't care about policy, and mostly care about moaning and groaning.

They blame Democrats for not doing something. You have Elizabeth Warren falsely suggesting Biden could eliminate all student loan debt with a stroke of a pen. Bernie Bros just want a president to yell slogans with them. It doesn’t get talked enough the damage Bernie Sanders has done to an entire generation. 

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I haven't been paying attention so where is AOC on the whole Gaza thing?  Is she part of the crazy bloc?

She’s the only one with a shred of sense. She’s trying to playing both sides. She’s on the free Palestine team but has also been pro Biden for the most part. She’ll say something positive about Biden and then the watermelon brigade comes for her. She’s big mad Bowman is getting primaried ignoring the fact she won by primaring an established dem. She’s still antisemitic claiming Latimer is being funded by the Jews. Bowman received 90% of his funding from out of district, mostly from Dearborn. Long story short, AOC is still useless but not as bad as the others. 

Last time I looked at the Dearborn mayor’s Twitter feed, I wouldn’t have known he was the mayor of Dearborn. I would have assumed he was a Hamas connected Palestinian. Tlaib has raised a lot of cash for Bowman. Dearborn has made its appearance in that race quite a bit as Latimer has been accusing Bowman of representing Dearborn and not their district. 

43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of leftists, I have a feeling this tankie is going down next week. The squad who encourages primaries of democrats and primaried established dems themselves are big mad. 

I love "tankie" for the Leftwing horseshoe types. 

and he's actually a good mayor notwithstanding.  If it wasn't for this issue I'd be fine with him.  He is very engaging with the community, responds to things quickly like trash pickup delays.  City services are better.   He brought in a lot of younger people to head the departments rather than those who have been around for 25-30 years.   The budget is balanced yet we have more stuff going on now.

In our rec center where I work out, the area with the bikes, treadmills, and weights, faces a giant wall of glass where on the other side is the pool.  "A few people" complained that they didn't like being "stared at".  So they put up a protective barrier over the glass, with a map of all the city rec facilities.  Everyone hated it.  Made the room look smaller, blocked out natural light, etc.  Every day the rec director got complaints about it on his voicemail, he would forward to the mayor.  (I know this because my son works there). I complained.  His words were "a few people didn't like the glass".  It's been that way for 20 years since it opened.    It was nice to walk by to know how crowded the pool was.  A parent could work out and their kids could swim, and they could see each other.  We suspect that it was "religous" in nature.  To his credit the mayor took it down after about a month.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Question: is Hawaii's own Tulsi Gabbard a tankie? 

She crossed over into MAGA. Tankies still pretend to be Democrats. Usually they are from very blue districts so they have to pretend to be Dems. Take any tankie and you can do a 6 degrees of Bernie Sanders. That old buzzard crotch has done almost as much harm as Trump. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

She crossed over into MAGA. Tankies still pretend to be Democrats. Usually they are from very blue districts so they have to pretend to be Dems. Take any tankie and you can do a 6 degrees of Bernie Sanders. That old buzzard crotch has done almost as much harm as Trump. 

While true...the Russia angle with her is pretty obvious, who else would be a fan of Asad's regime who had no religious affinity with Asad (not too many Alawites in Hawaii I would imagine). 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

and he's actually a good mayor notwithstanding.  If it wasn't for this issue I'd be fine with him.  He is very engaging with the community, responds to things quickly like trash pickup delays.  City services are better.   He brought in a lot of younger people to head the departments rather than those who have been around for 25-30 years.   The budget is balanced yet we have more stuff going on now.

In our rec center where I work out, the area with the bikes, treadmills, and weights, faces a giant wall of glass where on the other side is the pool.  "A few people" complained that they didn't like being "stared at".  So they put up a protective barrier over the glass, with a map of all the city rec facilities.  Everyone hated it.  Made the room look smaller, blocked out natural light, etc.  Every day the rec director got complaints about it on his voicemail, he would forward to the mayor.  (I know this because my son works there). I complained.  His words were "a few people didn't like the glass".  It's been that way for 20 years since it opened.    It was nice to walk by to know how crowded the pool was.  A parent could work out and their kids could swim, and they could see each other.  We suspect that it was "religous" in nature.  To his credit the mayor took it down after about a month.

Sounds like you have your own Jim Fouts. Fouts would personally respond to residents and tour neighborhoods handing out blight violations. He personally responded to a mother's request for handicap accessible playground equipment but then said retards should be locked in cages. He was well liked because he was responsive and listened to the residents but his eccentrics caused rifts in the council and brought negative attention to the city.  

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Sounds like you have your own Jim Fouts. Fouts would personally respond to residents and tour neighborhoods handing out blight violations. He personally responded to a mother's request for handicap accessible playground equipment but then said retards should be locked in cages. He was well liked because he was responsive and listened to the residents but his eccentrics caused rifts in the council and brought negative attention to the city.  

Who doesn't love a hard-working jerk? 

Just now, romad1 said:

Who doesn't love a hard-working jerk? 

Old people liked Fouts and Warren has a lot of old people. The blacks in the south usually sat out the elections so he would win with ease. Now Warren has a young liberal woman as mayor. We've finally turned the page. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

While true...the Russia angle with her is pretty obvious, who else would be a fan of Asad's regime who had no religious affinity with Asad (not too many Alawites in Hawaii I would imagine). 

These tankies want Ukraine to secede territory to Russia to end the war. Weirdly, they don't suggest just giving Gaza to Israel to end the war. Palestinian "resistance" is accepted but not Ukrainian. They were tankies before they became Hamasholes. They are doing their part to get Trump elected so the work of Russia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Certainly understand why he has weighed in, and that is likely reflects a majority of his constituents considering the demographics of Dearborn in 2024. But in general,  I wish politicians at the local level would just focus on the basic 'blocking and tackling' of government and not draw some much focus / attention onto national politics.

Not even saying that he's wrong to have an opinion or express it, but I'm not sure it should completely overshadow his day job either.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Certainly understand why he has weighed in, and that is likely reflects a majority of his constituents considering the demographics of Dearborn in 2024. But in general,  I wish politicians at the local level would just focus on the basic 'blocking and tackling' of government and not draw some much focus / attention onto national politics.

Not even saying that he's wrong to have an opinion or express it, but I'm not sure it should completely overshadow his day job either.

Yeah - when your city council makes a gift of a garbage truck to the Contras you know they have lost sight of what they are there for. (Ann Arbor City council actually did this some years back, and hasn't gotten much better since....)

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - when your city council makes a gift of a garbage truck to the Contras you know they have lost sight of what they are there for. (Ann Arbor City council actually did this some years back, and hasn't gotten much better since....)

The Contras or the Sandanistas?