2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They want to throw Biden overboard because he’s too old and put Bernie Sanders on the ticket. 

We can only hope they get over all the silly stuff in the next week or so. 

Edited by gehringer_2

The media has an interest in Trump winning. They will make more money that way. It literally is quite as simple as that. Anything that the media can do to make Trump winning a reality - they will.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

The media has an interest in Trump winning. They will make more money that way. It literally is quite as simple as that. Anything that the media can do to make Trump winning a reality - they will.

Absolutely correct.  We can talk politics all we want, but everything always comes down to money.  The culture war stuff is just a side show to keep the peons happy.  

56 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'm still gobsmacked a bad debate performance is a dagger in a campaign, but the "gestured at everything Trump" isn't.

I'm gobsmacked at how many weak kneed Dems there are that got their knives out and knifed Biden in the back. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm gobsmacked at how many weak kneed Dems there are that got their knives out and knifed Biden in the back. 

It doesn’t make much sense.  You don’t just end a campaign that you are leading because of a bad debate 5 months before the election.  That’s why I’m thinking there are things behind the scenes that we don’t know about that make the story more clear.  I’m not going to speculate on what but there are pieces of this puzzle that appear to be missing.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It doesn’t make much sense.  You don’t just end a campaign that you are leading because of a bad debate 5 months before the election.  That’s why I’m thinking there are things behind the scenes that we don’t know about that make the story more clear.  I’m not going to speculate on what but there are pieces of this puzzle that appear to be missing.  

Is he leading?  Most of the polls have Trump leading.  

Also, this wasn't just a bad debate.  It was the worst debate since Admiral James Stockdale!  And, while the debate may have been his worst moment, there have have been concerns among voters that he is too old and weak.  So, the timing was really bad.  

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Regardless of where you fall on this question, this whole thread is worth reading

I was just coming in here to speculate that the relentless coverage of calls for Biden to drop out might actually serve to move the polls—and voters—over to Trump. Because as much as everyone likes to bull**** themselves into believing they are critical thinkers with integrity who are impervious to that kind of influence, the vast majority of people do shape their opinions based on editorial zeitgeist. We accept that as being the case when it comes to red hats and the RWM, so why would lefties and centrists be any different? And the editorial zeitgeist right now is, Biden is toast and the Democrats are done.

This thread kind of dovetails into that.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was just coming in here to speculate that the relentless coverage of calls for Biden to drop out might actually serve to move the polls—and voters—over to Trump. Because as much as everyone likes to bull**** themselves into believing they are critical thinkers with integrity who are impervious to that kind of influence, the vast majority of people do shape their opinions based on editorial zeitgeist. We accept that as being the case when it comes to red hats and the RWM, so why would lefties and centrists be any different? And the editorial zeitgeist right now is, Biden is toast and the Democrats are done.

In the end , evidence can make a difference. Biden has to get out there and defy the narrative. If he does, he kills two birds with one stone, because  he will invalidate future negative speculation as well. But he has to act. 

If he tries to slide by with “this too shall pass” I’ll be much more worried that it’s his presidency that will doing the passing. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

There are legitimate questions that came out of that debate as to whether Biden is up to this regardless, that isn't totally on the media.

But the feeding frenzy at the expense of any other story in this campaign (such as, ya know, his opponent) is hard to miss. And the way I'm which many of these guys are blurring the lines between reporting and advocacy (ie. Alex Thompson of Axios, Astead Herndon of NYT the most obvious offenders), I just can't ignore it.

And people wonder why the media has lost so much trust... Biden is in trouble and much of it is his own doing, but the media isn't helping their own trust issues with the American public right now IMO

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There are legitimate questions that came out of that debate as to whether Biden is up to this regardless, that isn't totally on the media.

But the feeding frenzy at the expense of any other story in this campaign (such as, ya know, his opponent) is hard to miss. And the way I'm which many of these guys are blurring the lines between reporting and advocacy (ie. Alex Thompson of Axios, Astead Herndon of NYT the most obvious offenders), I just can't ignore it.

And people wonder why the media has lost so much trust... Biden is in trouble and much of it is his own doing, but the media isn't helping their own trust issues with the American public right now IMO

It is pretty obvious that the media is now in it for money only.  They want to normalize Trump's psychopathy because it's worth big money to him.   

And I have think a lot of the media are butt hurt over access issues.  Like they feel entitled becaise, you know, they are The NY Times and the world revolves around them. So they take out revenge.  

I'm not one to bitch and moan about the media. It's easy to complain about them covering something unfavorable, but usually it's just them doing their jobs.

But I thought the Biden debate thing was a one-day story. He hasn't made it a two-day story. I'm confused why it's becoming a one-week story.

40 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - maybe the debate woke America up to the fact that if Biden is going to get elected they are going to have to help.

That...

And maybe they also woke up and said: "WAIT! The "other" guy in this debate, Trump, is running again? HOLY ****!!! I better wake the **** up!!!"

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Is he leading?  Most of the polls have Trump leading.  

Also, this wasn't just a bad debate.  It was the worst debate since Admiral James Stockdale!  And, while the debate may have been his worst moment, there have have been concerns among voters that he is too old and weak.  So, the timing was really bad.  

I've hardly seen a poll where Joe is leading over the past week. Democrats seem more pessimistic than ever. But in a country of 256 million adults, Joe Biden is the best we can do to beat Trump. Not a single other person has the capabilities to do so. The enthusiasm is going down for Democrats too. It's 2016 all over again. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I've hardly seen a poll where Joe is leading over the past week. Democrats seem more pessimistic than ever. But in a country of 256 million adults, Joe Biden is the best we can do to beat Trump. Not a single other person has the capabilities to do so. The enthusiasm is going down for Democrats too. It's 2016 all over again. 

I have a friend who thinks that Trump is terrible and he voted for Biden in 2020.  He told me today that he can no longer vote for Biden because of his mental state. I would bet that there are many like him.