2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Reports have surfaced that Biden has seen a doctor known for his work with Parkinson's several times as well.  Doesn't mean he has that, but if true, his medical team has some concerns as well.

Maybe if Biden can just get a letter out to the press of 50 well respected doctors to say they don't show anything wrong with him this will be put to bed.

Lost in the frenzy is the fact that Biden just signed legistlation related to Parkinson's research.

It would not surprise me if a Parkinson's doctor who has been on the WH Medical team over multiple administrations were involved or consulted on said legislation.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Cmon CM, you’re at it again.  There’s no need for a physical. The guy has recently won 2 club championships in golf.  Not the Senior group but the entire club!  He’s regularly beating players half his age.  He’s so good that many courses across the world have been named after him.  

He was the best baseball player in New York state.  He could have been a pro, but he chose real estate instead.  

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll admit, I'm surprised Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have come out us being fully behind Biden.

Ideologically Biden comes from a different wing than Bernie or Liz, but the same people coming at Biden right now are the same ones who generally have always come at their wing.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

He ain't wrong 

that's one good reason the whole ''replace Joe" thing has nowhere to go, because if Joe is out Harris has to be the presumptive "heir" --and if Harris has to be the answer, there is zero point in doing anything - she's already there.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's one good reason the whole ''replace Joe" thing has nowhere to go, because if Joe is out Harris has to be the presumptive "heir" --and if Harris has to be the answer, there is zero point in doing anything - she's already there.

I will say this.  My fellow Michigan fan at work is a US Navy vet and is African American....that guy is following everything and is angry with the faint-hearted people trying to get Joe to quit.  I dunno if we can extrapolate but I do get the sense from various commentators that Blacks are much more solid than suburban whites.  You cannot win without suburban whites but the African American vote is crucial as well. 

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt this will stop the conspiracy theorists in the WH Press Corps lol

I think what frustrates me is that, unlike some others, the real questions *do* remain about Biden IMO. And they are likely to remain until November happens, for better or worse... I differ with some others on that, and whether him even staying in is the right thing to do. I honestly do not know, and continue to go back and forth on it.

But the zeal that we are seeing from the WH Press Corps not only isn't necessary with the story as it exists today (ie. one can believe that Biden is too old and not up to this without baselessly making any sort of diagnoses), but when they **** it up on something like this, it undermines their credibility. To the extent that the style of reporting is motivated on their part by a desire to effectuate a different outcome (vis a vis the Dem nomination), their **** ups only make it harder.

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt this will stop the conspiracy theorists in the WH Press Corps lol

8 hours ago, oblong said:

"Particularly"  "Necessarily".

those words should be banished.  I hate them.

I went to a neurologist for a suspected pinched nerve this year.  I got an EMG nerve test (really painful test, by the way) primarily to learn more about the source of the pinched nerve.  The EMG also tests for Parkinsons, MS and other nerve disorders even though there was no reason to think I had any of those diseases.  One could easily twist that around if I were a candidate! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The question of succession is hairy - we don't know if Joe Biden will die within the next four years, and if he would, we don't know if he will die suddenly or if he just becomes unable to do the job and gradually passes. 

That's why the age thing matters - I would vote for him regardless, but I would vote for a package of Koegel's hot dogs over Trump because Trump is *that* terrible on policy and in terms of temperment. But it's what the rest of America thinks given their choice. And having seen within my own family how hard it can be at the end to give in to the lifestyle changes that come with old age in my own life, when people are evaluating the choice, it's hard not to think about that stuff when voting for President too.

For the record, at the same point that Biden is now within this term, Trump would be older than Biden is currently if he is reelected and doesn't die.... he somehow gets a pass on his age, and he really shouldn't if we are being intellectually consistent here.

• Like 2