2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

But Biden is only down 1 and it's July. Hardly a reason to force your candidate out. Other candidates don't poll better. 

Other candidates don't poll better because they are unknowns to most people. 

Biden's speaking problems are no longer just edited clips from mean MAGAs.  They are real.  I really don't know how the public would take to a replacement at this point.  Maybe, it's a bad idea, but I really wish they had a better candidate already.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Other candidates don't poll better because they are unknowns to most people. 

Biden's speaking problems are no longer just edited clips from mean MAGAs.  They are real.  I really don't know how the public would take to a replacement at this point.  Maybe, it's a bad idea, but I really wish they had a better candidate already.  

Kamala Harris isn't unknown and is the only option. I don't think people realize how much they are pissing off blacks. Good like trying to win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin when the bottom falls out of Philadelphia, Detroit and Milwaukee. 

So we are supposed to believe this unknown will just win over voters in less than four months. They could have went through the primary and made the case but instead will just get installed on hope. If all that matters is speaking, just get an actor to run. Perhaps George Clooney?

“We in the Republican Party are the law and order team.” 

— Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), quoted by the Shreveport Times, as Republicans gather at their convention to make a convicted felon their presidential nominee.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So we are supposed to believe this unknown will just win over voters in less than four months. They could have went through the primary and made the case but instead will just get installed on hope. If all that matters is speaking, just get an actor to run. Perhaps George Clooney?

That is what should have happened but the Democrats didn't want anyone opposing Biden.  

What is Biden’s impact on the down ticket? Haven’t there already been instances of candidates shying away from having him along for public appearances? 
Frankly, I don’t understand why Jill Biden doesn’t try to convince her husband to take the wins, go home, and enjoy a retirement with family and friends. The man has been in Washington 55 years! When is it enough? I say this regarding all lifers in Washington, regardless of party. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This has nothing to do with democracy. Where would the left be without the constant harping on everything being a threat to democracy! This is an inner party issue that will get worked out, possibly to some folks angst. 

One assumes that the Dems are polling the 'generic Dem candidate' vs Trump and getting better numbers than Biden is. If not, they are certifiably nuts. I don't have any problem seeing another Dem being the candidate - in theory.  I'm just having trouble seeing how you leave the convention with a party that isn't fractured over the choice. This race is still all about turnout.  Can the Dems generate a big enough Kumbaya moment around a replacement to get everyone to the polls? We've already hit on the question of whether you keep the AA vote if the candidate isn't Harris, and I don't think it would be. You could hold the AA vote with Hakeem Jeffries I suppose - anyone else? I can't think of anyone on the Dem bench with the cred in the AA community Biden has.

Just now, 1776 said:

This has nothing to do with democracy. Where would the left be without the constant harping on everything being a threat to democracy! This is an inner party issue that will get worked out, possibly to some folks angst. 

Biden won the primary. 14 million people voted for him. There was literally a whole election. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

One assumes that the Dems are polling the 'generic Dem candidate' vs Trump and getting better numbers than Biden is. If not, they are certifiably nuts. I don't have any problem seeing another Dem being the candidate - in theory.  I'm just having trouble seeing how you leave the convention with a party that isn't fractured over the choice. This race is still all about turnout.  Can the Dems generate a big enough Kumbaya moment around a replacement to get everyone to the polls? We've already hit on the question of whether you keep the AA vote if the candidate isn't Harris, and I don't think it would be. You could hold the AA vote with Hakeem Jeffries I suppose - anyone else? I can't think of anyone on the Dem bench with the cred in the AA community Biden has.

I don't think you can hold the black vote with Harris. I don't think people truly get how pissed blacks are at the party for even discussing removing Biden. They are already losing trust in the party and disenfranchising them isn't going to make it better. 

Disenfranchising the primary voters should not be taken lightly. OTOH, the counter argument would be that 150+ million will probably vote in the general- with the hope that 80M will vote Dem. You can argue there is a good multiple of 14M voters in that 80M that felt disenfranchised by the lack of any actual contest to vote in.

As of today I still don't see it, but if Biden has lost Jeffries and Shummer it's worse than I've taken it to be.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Disenfranchising the primary voters should not be taken lightly. OTOH, the counter argument would be that 150+ million will probably vote in the general- with the hope that 80M will vote Dem. You can argue there is a good multiple of 14M voters in that 80M that felt disenfranchised by the lack of any actual contest to vote in.

As of today I still don't see it, but if Biden has lost Jeffries and Shummer it's worse than I've taken it to be.

There's got to be something that the public doesn't know. The only option is Harris. COVID does give him a good cover to exit the race. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

There's got to be something that the public doesn't know. The only option is Harris. COVID does give him a good cover to exit the race. 

Or he just actually got Covid. There is a lot of it still going around.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Or he just actually got Covid. There is a lot of it still going around.

I should clarify that I do believe he has it. I think it would give him cover in saying that after going through it he came to the realization that he is not up to the task of another four years. 

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I can not believe the meltdown the dems have brought to their own house. Its a self inflicted wound. All they have to do is beat a convicted felon with a public manifesto but here we are.

It is pretty remarkable. They've pretty much wasted all this time airing their grievances in public instead of attacking Trump and educating people about Project 2025. Doesn't look like it will end soon. 

That can all be washed away with a strong convention that’s unifying.  And it will be. There can’t be floor fights. Biden will get a rousing ovation as he passes the baton.  Then the age and congnitive issues shift to Trump and the media will ignore it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is what I’ve been getting at since this talk.  There has to be more information behind the scenes that we don’t know.  It’s only way this entire thing makes any sense.