2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that you don't need to go to college to get ahead or get a good job - plenty of examples of it in my family.

Having said that, there's a fine line between "not everyone wants to college" or "college is not for everyone" and "college is bad, kids shouldn't go there". I don't know about Kirk in particular, but a lot of conservative commentators tend to cross that line, and I don't think that's a good thing at all.

Take it from someone who works in the engineering world, there's not enough domestic students in some industries who obtain a college degree. It shouldn't be an either / or proposition here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that you don't need to go to college to get ahead or get a good job - plenty of examples of it in my family.

Having said that, there's a fine line between "not everyone wants to college" or "college is not for everyone" and "college is bad, kids shouldn't go there". I don't know about Kirk in particular, but a lot of conservative commentators tend to cross that line, and I don't think that's a good thing at all.

Take it from someone who works in the engineering world, there's not enough domestic students in some industries who obtain a college degree. It shouldn't be an either / or proposition here.

This is 100% true. Engineering, Nursing etc. are super smart degrees. You can get a job anywhere in the country. Liberal Arts, Poly Sceince etc. not so much. I just hired a diesel ASE Master Tech. He is 23 and his base is $120K. In the automotive industry you get paid by how quick you can turn hours. Basically the job pays 8 hours and you can do it in 3-4 so you could turn 16 hours at $62.50 an hour a day. Most of my diesel techs clear 250K a year. They are in such a high demand guys will take 2 weeks vacation (you also get 4 weeks vacation day 1). Fly to Florida ir someplace (Paid by dealer you are contracting with). They pay you $150 an hour for the two weeks you are there and well you do the math.

I think the main thing is to remove the stigma of NOT going to college and pursuing trades or anything else.   And college doesn't have to be expensive if  you choose to do that.  What I resent too is this idea that a kid at the age of 17-18 has to "figure it out".  I took longer than 4 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do and refused to get sucked into some trap.  Yes, I did **** around my first year in college but I went to a strict HS and the freedom got the best of me... oh well.  I was 17/18. I don't apologize for it.  A few friends would mock me as a slacker (The Tommy Boy joke about a lot of people going to college for 7 years, they're called doctors, was a common one) but I knew I had the rest of my ilfe ahead of me and now I am blessed to have a good paying job.  I took some risks and did some low level work early on in my career but made the connections and that got me to where I am.  I know people I graduated with who weren't as fortunate and wasted a lot of money.  But hey.... they graduated from college in 4 years!  

I also think there's a misconception that everybody who goes to college is getting some stupid degree that's not relevant to finding a job.  No.  A lot of the student loan forgiveness is for people who took noble but low paying jobs because we collectively as a society decided those don't pay as well, but they are just as important as yours or mine.  Value isn't always what the bottom line rewards, especially service type jobs.  Social Workers... teachers.... that kind of thing.   And some of these recipients were victims of predatory practices, like racking up tens of thousands of debt from a for profit university when they could have gotten the same certification from a community college for little to nothing, only to get a job as a nurses aid or medical assistant making $20 an hour.   I have no issues with helping those people out.  If the government is giving handouts away I'd rather it go to them than some millionaire or corporation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Five days from Butler and still no word from the Republican candidate's physician. The American people need to know how minor or serious his wound was, and what is his mental condition. Getting shot at and wounded could do some serious damage to a 78 year old's mental well being.

https://www.poynter.org/commentary/2024/donald-trump-ear-injury-official-medical-report/

USA Today’s Rex Huppke wonders in a columnif there is a psychological toll from almost being killed.

Huppke wrote, “… Trump may well not yet know the mental impact this horrific shooting had on him. It’s difficult to be self-reflective in the wake of something life-altering like that, and because of the timing of this week’s Republican National Convention, Trump chose to put on a tough face and move forward with his campaign. He’s showing up at the convention in Milwaukee with a huge bandage on his ear, yet nobody knows his exact medical condition.”

So why does this all matter? Huppke asks some questions that at least should be considered of someone who is running for president of the United States:

What, specifically, was his injury, and how was it treated?

What is his current medical condition in the wake of the injury, and has he been prescribed medication? If so, what kind?

Will additional medical procedures be required?

Has the former president had a psychological evaluation in the wake of the shooting?

How is his medical team planning to address the possibility of PTSD or other psychological after-effects?

Is he planning ongoing mental health counseling?

Huppke concluded with “A 78-year-old man just went through a traumatizing event few of us can even imagine. Voters deserve to know exactly what happened, and how Trump is doing, in body and in mind.”

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Five days from Butler and still no word from the Republican candidate's physician. The American people need to know how minor or serious his wound was, and what is his mental condition. Getting shot at and wounded could do some serious damage to a 78 year old's mental well being.

https://www.poynter.org/commentary/2024/donald-trump-ear-injury-official-medical-report/

Screenshot_20240718_150539_X.thumb.jpg.4e1bda219ed425a1bb73a704a9c23b7e.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Many conservatives seem to think that college is evil and that they indoctrinate you into 

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Screenshot_20240718_150539_X.thumb.jpg.4e1bda219ed425a1bb73a704a9c23b7e.jpg

Maybe, the doctors discovered that the wound was more consistent flying glass than a bullet...In that case, you can be sure that we'll never hear a report.  

30 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Just an FYI that Insider Advantage is a right wing pollster similar to Trafalgar Group, American Greatness, Patriot Polling, etc. That doesn't mean their data and numbers are wrong, it's just worth pointing out.

When you compare their polling to other mainstream polls that test Harris vs. Trump, Insider Advantage is consistently off from the other mainstream polls. Most mainstream polling has shown Harris either down a one to four points, tied, or up a point or two.

As another example, they predicted on October 30th that the race between Gretchen Whitmer and Turdor Dixon for MI Governor was a tie, Whitmer won by 10. They predicted Hershel Walker was up +2 over Raphael Warnock in the Georgia Senate race and Warnock ended up winning. The predicted the Arizona Senate race was an even split in 2022 between Mark Kelly and Blake Masters. Kelly ended up winning by 4% or so. They had Dr. Oz up +2 over John Fetterman and Fetterman won by 4% or so there as well.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

The Republican war on education has what objective?  Theocracy?  Nothing but books sold at your church available?   The elimination of alternative viewpoints?   Less civic awareness?  Rewriting the Constitution to give the Leader the ability to punish his opponents?

50 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Many conservatives seem to think that college is evil and that they indoctrinate you into 

Maybe, the doctors discovered that the wound was more consistent flying glass than a bullet...In that case, you can be sure that we'll never hear a report.  

Well, to be fair, Trump is a private citizen who has a right to keep his medical records private. And nobody can ask him any type of question because he'll just lie anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well, to be fair, Trump is a private citizen who has a right to keep his medical records private. And nobody can ask him any type of question because he'll just lie anyway.

Right, I don't care to hear from either him or his doctor because we wont get the truth anyway.  Even if the truth was beneficial to him, he still might lie because that's what he does.  

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Good grief. Libs of TikTok, Babylon Bee and now Charlie Kirk?

Babylon Bee has some bangers from time to time. The Angel Hernandez/Boeing one a couple months ago was an all-timer.

53 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The Republican war on education has what objective?  Theocracy?  Nothing but books sold at your church available?   The elimination of alternative viewpoints?   Less civic awareness?  Rewriting the Constitution to give the Leader the ability to punish his opponents?

I would pick the elimination of alternative viewpoints. Particularly around the issue of slavery and the history of the era leading up to the Civil War. Also the role of women and their contributions to society. While there are good history books written on the subject, it seems that there are forces that are afraid of the truth. The thing is it's been that way for as long as we have had public schools in a lot of areas.

I'm glossing over this a bit, but the war on public education has been going on since at least the 60s

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

I would pick the elimination of alternative viewpoints. Particularly around the issue of slavery and the history of the era leading up to the Civil War. Also the role of women and their contributions to society. While there are good history books written on the subject, it seems that there are forces that are afraid of the truth. The thing is it's been that way for as long as we have had public schools in a lot of areas.

I'm glossing over this a bit, but the war on public education has been going on since at least the 60s

The Project 2025 stuff about Slavery is a glimpse at that.   "Never you mind, Yankee about that battle at Gettysburg and the 16th MI regiment at Little Round Top defending the flank, that's just part of the DEI woke Kamela Soros agenda."