2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 hours ago, oblong said:

That says so much.  Why the **** would they care about pissing off Democratic voters?

They’re trying to flip them to Republicans by claiming Democrats don’t really care about democracy after all.

Just now, Hongbit said:

It’s been pretty ugly here for the past two weeks towards Democratic leadership.  Too much name calling with more than a few times bordering on a full blown temper tantrums. It was a tough, tough call made by a party that had been criticized for being too soft.   It’s a big move for sure that deserves a ton of credit.  Maybe they aren’t as stupid as some of you thought.  

All I can say is that I feel a whole lot better about the chances of Donald Trump NOT being President than I have in a long, long time.   I know that I can’t be alone in that confidence.   That’s a great thing.  Let’s hope it pays off in November. 

No the Democratic party is still spineless. They caved to the donors and pissed their pants over a debate. I don't trust this party to fight when something doesn't go their way. We have no choice but to support Harris right now. There does need to be a reckoning in the party in 2026. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

No the Democratic party is still spineless. They caved to the donors and pissed their pants over a debate. I don't trust this party to fight when something doesn't go their way. We have no choice but to support Harris right now. There does need to be a reckoning in the party in 2026. 

They have a better chance of winning today than they did yesterday.   That’s all that matters.  

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have no idea what the polls will do with this, but Trump will get a lot of pressure from the GOP to change his mind if the GOP does find itself losing ground now.

Trump: “Le GOP, c’est moi.”

So—he pressures … himself? 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Is that a lot? Context?

EDIT: I saw a subsequent tweet saying $30 million is a one-day record for Democrats, so, yeah, I can now see it’s a lot.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

No the Democratic party is still spineless. They caved to donors that were pissed over being lied to about Biden's ability to debate. I don't trust this party to fight when something doesn't go their way. We have no choice but to support Harris right now. There does need to be a reckoning in the party in 2026. 

Fixed that second sentence for you, otherwise your post was pretty much spot on.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Obama will endorse Harris. He waited until the convention to endorse Biden in 2020. It isn't a big conversation. The whole party has gotten behind Harris. 

If they actually drag it deliberately to milk some press and theatrical value out of it (which they should) it will be a good stroke. If he's just playing some kind of Hamlet it would be disappointing.

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Fixed that second sentence for you, otherwise your post was pretty much spot on.

not to be too picky/thread police-ey but I am going to suggest that when we do the FIFY thing on another poster's work (which I think is fine and usually fun), that just out of courtesy, we italicize or bold or otherwise highlight exactly what we changed so that the OP never has to clarify what he didn't say. And I know I've probably done it but I'll try to be better too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

not to be too picky/thread police-ey but I am going to suggest that when we do the FIFY thing on another poster's work (which I think is fine and usually fun), that just out of courtesy, we italicize or bold or otherwise highlight exactly what we changed so that the OP never has to clarify what he didn't say. And I know I've probably done it but I'll try to be better too.

It's not even accurate. Nobody lied about his ability to debate. That was his weakness. 

6 hours ago, pfife said:

Just saw a really great ad from Slotkin re: Her mother and the ACA.   

FIRED UP LETS GO

I liked her other commercial about how 9-11 shaped her career choices and how she worked under presidents of both parties. She's someone who may run for POTUS someday.