2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Biden got soldiers and many friendlies killed on the botched pull out. He will be remembered for this by the military community. 

Many of those also give Trump a pass for the disrespectful things he’s said about the military so pardon me if I don’t give them any special standing for their opinions.  They are being political about it just like the rest of us.  If the same thing happened under Trump they would have just glossed over it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

Many of those also give Trump a pass for the disrespectful things he’s said about the military so pardon me if I don’t give them any special standing for their opinions.  They are being political about it just like the rest of us.  If the same thing happened under Trump they would have just glossed over it. 

I just refuse to forget them. Biden had a chance to right the ship and draw down our troops, equipment and allies. He was in charge and failed at that task. To me it not even political it’s bad management. 

• Like 1

I do care about the opinions of veterans on military matters.  Sometimes it is political, but their opinions on military things matter more to me than those of people who never served.  That's up to a point of course.  I am not going to keep respecting them if the go rogue and start saying crazy ****, but, in general I respect their thoughts.

53 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I just refuse to forget them. Biden had a chance to right the ship and draw down our troops, equipment and allies. He was in charge and failed at that task. To me it not even political it’s bad management. 

Wasn’t the management task the Pentagon’s? I’m usually skeptical about black and white. Do you think it possible/likely the Pentagon told the WH they couldn’t do what they were being asked to , or alternately, that the Pentagon had so burned its credibility at the WH that the admin no longer believed what they said? We have a history all the way back to  VN of WHs and Pentagons where confidence in each other has been ……lacking. 

I do agree the US allowed too few to exit under our auspices. That was also a problem after VN. But you can blame Biden plus the entire rest of the government and for that matter the voting public as well for that. The nation's love for the people who risk themselves to ally with us seems to run proportional to their distance away.

Edited by gehringer_2

56 minutes ago, romad1 said:

There is no excuse for embracing autocracy and dictatorship.  That's the reason we celebrate the veterans that Trump loathes.

Remember in the Godfather II when Michael tells Sonny that he's enlisted in the Marines and Sonny goes off about what a sucker Michael is?    Sonny is Donald Trump.    In fact,  Trump actually talks like Sonny Corleone and he's reactionary and dumb like Sonny too.  

The entire Republican platform is   "He's too old" and now that has been taken away and now they scramble. 

But what is their platform?   Do they ever talk about jobs?     I mean, unemployment is about as low as it's ever been since they've kept records.    

They're platform is hating everyone that's not like them.   Their platform is attacking women and immigrants.  

That's about it.   

So now, they are quickly trying to come up with ways to attack Kamala and they have and will continue to insult all women with the things they say.    Well, the insult women crowd were already in your corner, you are not winning anyone new with that. You are not appealing to the middle with that. 

Harris & Co.   need to put The Lincoln Project folks in charge of her media campaign.  They're really good at crafting a message in 30 or 60 seconds.  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The entire Republican platform is   "He's too old" and now that has been taken away and now they scramble. 

But what is their platform?   Do they ever talk about jobs?     I mean, unemployment is about as low as it's ever been since they've kept records.    

They're platform is hating everyone that's not like them.   Their platform is attacking women and immigrants.  

That's about it.   

So now, they are quickly trying to come up with ways to attack Kamala and they have and will continue to insult all women with the things they say.    Well, the insult women crowd were already in your corner, you are not winning anyone new with that. You are not appealing to the middle with that. 

Harris & Co.   need to put The Lincoln Project folks in charge of her media campaign.  They're really good at crafting a message in 30 or 60 seconds.  

Yes, love Lincoln Project.   They probably won't be as good at selling the left-side of the centrist candidate's agenda as well as the traditional actblue types.  But, dropping bombs to prepare the battlespace is necessary and they can do that both saturation style and precision strike. 

I was thinking about this very low unemployment we're having and something has really been annoying me lately.  

People begging for money. 

At the Ann Arbor Art Fair there is a guy who sits on the bench outside the Walgreen's at State St & N.  University and every time someone comes out of the Walgreen's it's "Hey, can you help me out?".   I mean he is out there all day every day (not just during Art Fair).     The Walgreen's, as well as dozens of other business in Ann Arbor have Help Wanted signs in the window.        I work my arse off.  I work 7 days a week.    Yes, I love what I do, but it took a long time to get here and I worked a lot of jobs I didn't like to get by.   Why should I give someone money when they can go work.     People beg for money at the base of the Hill shopping center in Allen Park and I think pretty much everyone is hiring at that shopping center.     

I try to have some sympathy, but I just feel like these are folks that just refuse to work.    I don't have a lot of sympathy for that.   Millions of Americans work jobs they don't like.   

Makes me sound like a Republican, but I would have more sympathy if there were no jobs.     

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wasn’t the management task the Pentagon’s? I’m usually skeptical about black and white. Do you think it possible/likely the Pentagon told the WH they couldn’t do what they were being asked to , or alternately, that the Pentagon had so burned its credibility at the WH that the admin no longer believed what they said? We have a history all the way back to  VN of WHs and Pentagons where confidence in each other has been ……lacking. 

I do agree the US allowed too few to exit under our auspices. That was also a problem after VN. But you can blame Biden plus the entire rest of the government and for that matter the voting public as well for that. The nation's love for the people who risk themselves to ally with us seems to run proportional to their distance away.

Just like anything in gov't plenty of blame to go around but little accountability. I am done beating the dead horse on this subject.

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was thinking about this very low unemployment we're having and something has really been annoying me lately.  

People begging for money. 

At the Ann Arbor Art Fair there is a guy who sits on the bench outside the Walgreen's at State St & N.  University and every time someone comes out of the Walgreen's it's "Hey, can you help me out?".   I mean he is out there all day every day (not just during Art Fair).     The Walgreen's, as well as dozens of other business in Ann Arbor have Help Wanted signs in the window.        I work my arse off.  I work 7 days a week.    Yes, I love what I do, but it took a long time to get here and I worked a lot of jobs I didn't like to get by.   Why should I give someone money when they can go work.     People beg for money at the base of the Hill shopping center in Allen Park and I think pretty much everyone is hiring at that shopping center.     

I try to have some sympathy, but I just feel like these are folks that just refuse to work.    I don't have a lot of sympathy for that.   Millions of Americans work jobs they don't like.   

Makes me sound like a Republican, but I would have more sympathy if there were no jobs.     

Most homeless folks are there due to untreated mental illness. A large majority are Vets. They can't function in society much less work a 9-5. I volunteer for a homeless outreach Vet group where I live. We help anyone that looks for help Vet or not. Most don't want help so we leave them a sandwich and water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Most homeless folks are there due to untreated mental illness. A large majority are Vets. They can't function in society much less work a 9-5. I volunteer for a homeless outreach Vet group where I live. We help anyone that looks for help Vet or not. Most don't want help so we leave them a sandwich and water.

This. A lot of people that are homeless are not able to function like you and I. Also, if you are homeless and have no address, it’s not exactly easy to find a job. There’s also a lack of affordable housing in Ann Arbor which is also an issue. 

• Like 1