2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'm sure the resource constraints that Team Trump were forcing were a huge reason.  Its not a good excuse.  

She may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she didn't help herself yesterday or for that matter any time this week. I'll go back to TigerHolics post about accountability. At this point I'd rather see a few people in authority get bounced unjustly (not that I'm even saying that in this case) as long as more get bounced that should be. When you have that kind of responsibility you should be motivated by that fact that you will lose your job if things screw up on your watch. The rest of us live that all the time.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

She may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she didn't help herself yesterday or for that matter any time this week. I'll go back to TigerHolics post about accountability. At this point I'd rather see a few people in authority get bounced unjustly (not that I'm even saying that in this case) as long as more get bounced that should be. When you have that kind of responsibility you should be motivated by that fact that you will lose your job if things screw up on your watch. The rest of us live that all the time.

So will we see Mayorkas testify about this now? He hired Cheeto Cheatle after all.

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree votes are valuable in the aggregate, but my individual vote is practically worthless, because the Democrat is guaranteed to win by a mile. Not true in Michigan, which is why your vote is extremely valuable while it still hasn't been thrown out.

I will proactively reject any counterargument that starts out with "what if everyone saw it the way you do and decided not to vote", because they don't see it that way, and they won't not vote for that reason. There is exactly zero zeitgeist going in that direction.

This is the lesson I learned in 2016. Hillary was up by double digits in the polls so I figured....my 3rd party vote didn't matter. It turns out, it mattered. Bigly. I'll never assume my guy (or woman) is going to win without my vote. Every vote matters in today's political climate. Trump needs to be defeated by SO many votes that there's no question about it. We can't leave it up to his SCOTUS to decide. 

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I am not young, so I can tell you that even before the big de-institutionalization movement and the guys started coming back from 'Nam, we had drunks and addicts begging on the streets in Detroit. I think one difference is that there were places we called SROs (single room occupancy)  - mostly old run down apt houses, that people could afford to stay in on their SSI (which used to be more generally available).

But economic changes have squeezed out all kinds of cheap housing, de-institutionalization has added to the numbers, welfare rules are stricter, more drugs are available on the street, and returning warrior issues are worse than in the past. So we took a problem we didn't know how to solve when it was small and made it worse from multiple directions.

I have a friend who's been a therapist at the VA for years. He says the Republicans shut down many of the hospitals for the mentally ill, forcing them onto the streets and prisons. Yeah, the pro-life party. SMH

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Of that list I think Shapiro might be the front runner. I'm not crazy about it since he is just a year or so into his first term and his replacement would be a hard core Trumpublican.

He does hit the Larry Sabito rules for picking a running mate.

2 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

If I understand the SCOTUS decision correctly, if Trump wins can't Biden by an "Official Act" declare that "No, he didn't" and stay in power? 

He could try but he never would. It will be interesting to see what he does if Trump cheats to win and there's obvious evidence. Going to SCOTUS is out because we know how they would rule. Maybe pack the court without nomination hearings? Whatever it takes to send Trump where he belongs...prison.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, i would have liked to have seen some punishment for the generals in the NMCC on Jan 6

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Of that list I think Shapiro might be the front runner. I'm not crazy about it since he is just a year or so into his first term and his replacement would be a hard core Trumpublican.

He does hit the Larry Sabito rules for picking a running mate.

Pennsylvania's Lieutenant Governor is a black, Democratic guy named Austin Davis. It seems like he would be next in line to replace Shapiro as the Governor of PA.

Pennsylvania awards $2 million  in grants to law enforcement

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Pennsylvania's Lieutenant Governor is a black, Democratic guy named Austin Davis. It seems like he would be next in line to replace Shapiro as the Governor of PA.

Pennsylvania awards $2 million  in grants to law enforcement

I probably misread something about control of the PA legislature in the Governor's absence. The Lt Governor would take over. The next in line President protempore who is a major Trumper and election denier. She would have the deciding votes in ties.

Republicans hold a six vote majority in the Pa senate making it harder for Dems to make any gains. 

24 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

If I understand the SCOTUS decision correctly, if Trump wins can't Biden by an "Official Act" declare that "No, he didn't" and stay in power? 

I think the first half is exactly what trump is doing.   Whether that constitutes an official act is going to be litigated.

As always I stayed in a holiday inn express so I could be wrong

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Interesting 

I would have thought we would have seen a lot more reports of furtive scurrying around the Capitol for this to actually be true. I'd actually be more inclined to believe it was donor reluctance to release funds that pushed him to stand down.

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Interesting 

I fully believe this resignation was an orchestrated effort by insiders in the party. They made the decision for him. On his own, he wasn’t going to step down. The money was drying up and so was the vocal support for him. It got to the point where the decision had been made for him. 

Was just reading up on Walz's resume. Very impressive, 24 years National Guard, retired with the rank of Sargent Major. Was the highest ranking enlisted soldier to serve in Congress. Basically considered a moderate/liberal. Voted against TARP in Congress. He was in favor of gun rights but has expressed support for gun regulation. As governor he signed a law establishing background checks and red flag regulations. 
High ratings from Planned Parenthood and LGBT groups. Strong women's issues and education.

Im just not sure if he would add much to the ticket as far as Electorial Votes.