2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm feeling a lot better today than I was last Friday.       There's massive energy now.   The VP pick is important.   I like Kelly because he was in the military (and Trump insults the military) but he's also a great speaker who has some clout when it comes to immigration and he's for sensible gun control while still being a 2nd amendment supporter and when he talks about that it has meaning.      He leans a little more conservative than Kamala, which is a good thing, you don't need a carbon copy like Trump/Vance.          

There's about to be a Youthquake. 

And guys like Trump (and many Republican men) don't like strong, smart or confident women - because they're horribly insecure.   They're pathetic.    Let them keep attacking.   I agree with that statement  Let Their Racism (and Misogyny) Be YOUR Rocket Fuel. 

BLAST OFF !

It's so enjoyable to see them freaking out.  Makes them look so weak and unprepared. 

I think they think that "she's a DEI hire" is resonating but its really REALLY resonating among African Americans. 

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I think they think that "she's a DEI hire" is resonating but its really REALLY resonating among African Americans. 

And the youth vote.

Which appears to be WILDLY, SPECTACULARLY MOTIVATED...!!!

For some reason...

😉

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Interesting.

Black Lives Matter lambasted the Democratic Party on Tuesday for rallying behind Vice President Kamala Harris after President Joe Biden exited the race in an unprecedented fashion, accusing the party of “anointing” her without letting primary voters have their say.

On Sunday, Biden announced his withdrawal from the presidential race and subsequently endorsed Harris to take his place. Soon after, the vice president quickly received over 260 endorsements from elected Democrats and over $100 million in fundraising since Sunday afternoon.

However, BLM is unhappy with the new presumptive nominee. To remedy the issue, the left-wing organization demands that the Democratic National Committee host a virtual snap primary to accommodate voters prior to its August convention.

“We do not live in a dictatorship. Delegates are not oligarchs,” the group declared in a Tuesday statement. “Any attempt to evade or override the will of voters in our primary system—no matter how historic the candidate—must be condemned.”

The antagonistic statement comes after Harris secured enough delegates to become the presumptive Democratic nominee Monday night. She will likely be nominated at the DNC’s virtual roll call ahead of the party’s nominating convention in Chicago next month. But BLM wants the public to participate in the nomination process.

“This is about the Democratic Party following a process that protects the legitimacy of any future Democratic president following this unprecedented moment,” the organization said. “Installing Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee and an unknown vice president without any public voting process would make the modern Democratic Party a party of hypocrites. It would undermine their credibility on issues related to democracy.”

BLM expressed concern that any process other than the virtual snap primary would be considered undemocratic and lend credence to critics’ claims that Harris was selected solely because of her race and gender.

“Imagine our first Black woman president not having won some sort of public nomination process,” the statement reads. “The pundits would immediately label it as affirmative action or a DEI move, and any progress made by a President Harris would be on shaky foundations. If Kamala Harris is to be the nominee, it must be through a process that upholds democratic principles and public participation.”

Some Republican lawmakers, including Representative Tim Burchett (R., Tenn.), labeled Harris a “DEI hire” for bypassing the nomination process. These criticisms prompted House GOP leaders to hold a closed-door meeting on Tuesday, telling their members to start focusing on the vice president’s record instead of her race.

“This should not be about personalities. It should be about policy. And we have a record to compare,” Speaker Mike Johnson (R., La.) told Politico, saying Harris would have to answer for Biden’s record during her campaign. “This has nothing to do with race. It has to do with the competence of the person running for president, the relative strength of the two candidates and what ideas they have on how to solve America’s problems. And I think in that comparison, we’ll win in a landslide.”

Source: NR

Edited by 1776
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I’m really coming around on Walz and the kids may be ok with him too. 

He is  a really good guy. HS teacher plus was head FB coach and took his team to a state championship. Retired Sgt Major in National Guard. True American.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

lol - I was going to ask if you meant Fred. 

Thompson did have an interesting career all together though. I don't imagine too many people remember him from the Watergate hearings, where he was probably the third "star" right after Sam Ervin and Sam Dash. I also liked his turn as a murderous televangelist in WiseGuy - which he did before he went to the Senate.

yeah I did lose his first name, I even googled beforehand and apparently there was a politician by Frank Thompson so I went with it but it didn't seem right so I re-googled.   That's how dedicated I am to accuracy in this forum  😄

I think a lot of what you said about his career is why I thought his flameout was so epic.  I recall the media really hyping him hard core too before he came into the race.

Edited by pfife

yeah I don't really get it.  There isn't really a process for what's unfolding, so there isn't a process of excluding anyone.   Maybe there is and it's subtle/hidden IDK but I saw what seemed to be a lot of Dems that could make a pretty substantial challenge to Harris if they wanted to do so decide not to do it on their own volition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Sudden RW ally BLM. 

Hardly. I’m sure they have an unspoken agenda. Maybe Kamala isn’t, in the tone Joe expressed it, Black enough for the job. 

reminds me of Thadeus Stevens scenes in "Lincoln" where he's arguing with the Radicals who want to pull out of the vote on the 13th amendment.  Don't let ardor and ideological purity get in the way of the actual objective. 

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Another great thing is that ALL the attention is on Harris now - Trump is barely getting any attention and he's sitting there watching TV obsessively, as always, and not seeing himself come first and he is livid and it's great.    Lots of **** is getting thrown.    

Trump is definitely no good under pressure.

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Any democrat could have thrown their hat in the ring. None did because Harris was too strong. 

An opportunistic ex-Democrat tried to and look how far he got: the next morning.

51 minutes ago, 1776 said:

That misses the point BLM is making. 

Right, the DEI label is the point, BLM used it so how can Democrats be insulted by it, amiclose?

If that's what it is, I would counter that how black people use the term "DEI" and how white conservatives use it is the exact same as how black folks use the n-word and how white conservatives use it.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Interesting.

Black Lives Matter lambasted the Democratic Party on Tuesday for rallying behind Vice President Kamala Harris after President Joe Biden exited the race in an unprecedented fashion, accusing the party of “anointing” her without letting primary voters have their say.

On Sunday, Biden announced his withdrawal from the presidential race and subsequently endorsed Harris to take his place. Soon after, the vice president quickly received over 260 endorsements from elected Democrats and over $100 million in fundraising since Sunday afternoon.

However, BLM is unhappy with the new presumptive nominee. To remedy the issue, the left-wing organization demands that the Democratic National Committee host a virtual snap primary to accommodate voters prior to its August convention.

“We do not live in a dictatorship. Delegates are not oligarchs,” the group declared in a Tuesday statement. “Any attempt to evade or override the will of voters in our primary system—no matter how historic the candidate—must be condemned.”

The antagonistic statement comes after Harris secured enough delegates to become the presumptive Democratic nominee Monday night. She will likely be nominated at the DNC’s virtual roll call ahead of the party’s nominating convention in Chicago next month. But BLM wants the public to participate in the nomination process.

“This is about the Democratic Party following a process that protects the legitimacy of any future Democratic president following this unprecedented moment,” the organization said. “Installing Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee and an unknown vice president without any public voting process would make the modern Democratic Party a party of hypocrites. It would undermine their credibility on issues related to democracy.”

BLM expressed concern that any process other than the virtual snap primary would be considered undemocratic and lend credence to critics’ claims that Harris was selected solely because of her race and gender.

“Imagine our first Black woman president not having won some sort of public nomination process,” the statement reads. “The pundits would immediately label it as affirmative action or a DEI move, and any progress made by a President Harris would be on shaky foundations. If Kamala Harris is to be the nominee, it must be through a process that upholds democratic principles and public participation.”

Some Republican lawmakers, including Representative Tim Burchett (R., Tenn.), labeled Harris a “DEI hire” for bypassing the nomination process. These criticisms prompted House GOP leaders to hold a closed-door meeting on Tuesday, telling their members to start focusing on the vice president’s record instead of her race.

“This should not be about personalities. It should be about policy. And we have a record to compare,” Speaker Mike Johnson (R., La.) told Politico, saying Harris would have to answer for Biden’s record during her campaign. “This has nothing to do with race. It has to do with the competence of the person running for president, the relative strength of the two candidates and what ideas they have on how to solve America’s problems. And I think in that comparison, we’ll win in a landslide.”

Source: NR

Any Democrat can post a challenge at any time they like.   She's not the official nominee yet.  

Who is BLM anyway?    Is there any true organization behind it?    Black Lives are gonna matter a whole lot more under  a President Harris than whatever the Republicans throw out there.  

What's it called when a white guy kisses enough asses (or maybe one very rich ass) into three mid level corporate position (where one boss said he did practically nothing) and eventually a senate seat because the rich guy paid off a former president?

Asking for a friend