2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Any Democrat can post a challenge at any time they like.   She's not the official nominee yet.  

Who is BLM anyway?    Is there any true organization behind it?    Black Lives are gonna matter a whole lot more under  a President Harris than whatever the Republicans throw out there.  

I was intrigued by your question too.   It was conspicuous that no actual person from the organization was named. 

47 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

BLM has become a corrupted organization that got co-opted by white leftists. 

BLM was corrupt from the outset. And yes, it has been infiltrated by extreme leftists. 

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said: 

Who is BLM anyway?    Is there any true organization behind it?    Black Lives are gonna matter a whole lot more under  a President Harris than whatever the Republicans throw out there.  

BLM is, and has been, a political organization. To what degree there is any degree of organization behind it today, I don’t know. Literal Black lives didn’t matter to the political organization, Black Lives Matter. BLM, the political entity, tapped into the frustrations and wrongs experienced by Black Americans to enrich the organization’s leadership through funding from its sympathizers, as has well been documented. I trust you are up to speed on what this corrupt organization really was about. Unfortunately, BLM accomplished little or nothing in real terms for Black Americans. 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

.......  so why do we care what a bunch of grifters think about the Democratic nomination?

You don’t have to care what a bunch of grifters think about the Democratic nomination. I thought it comical that BLM suddenly supported some procedural process related to governing. Again, I’m sure they have an agenda that is counter to their public charade.

Edited by 1776

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

BLM is, and has been, a political organization. To what degree there is any degree of organization behind it today, I don’t know. Literal Black lives didn’t matter to the political organization, Black Lives Matter. BLM, the political entity, tapped into the frustrations and wrongs experienced by Black Americans to enrich the organization’s leadership through funding from its sympathizers, as has well been documented. I trust you are up to speed on what this corrupt organization really was about. Unfortunately, BLM accomplished little or nothing in real terms for Black Americans. 

But it seems to me that there are several versions of BLM run by several different people with differing agendas.   There is no name representing it and until it gets organized that way, can it be taken all that seriously?      I think this was brought up in the TV series "Newsroom" when Jeff Daniels challenged a 99%'er  by saying  You have no face, you have no message.  You need to congeal your movement into one message with one spokesperson and a few surrogates - or else you're all just yelling into the wind.        That's BLM.   There are realistic and pragmatic wings and there are radical wings.   And the radical wing will never be happy with anything anyone ever does.    I understand why they exist, but the execution is a mess.  They need their MLK.  They needs someone that speaks for them with one unifying message and that doesn't seem to be happening.     So what is BLM?  It's an acronym with a bunch of people yelling into the wind.   If they are not happy, they can run their own candidate.       

See, the problem wasn't the job Biden has done.  He's done an excellent job.  Has he botched a few things?   Yes,  he's human, but overall he's done a very good job and that work needs to continue, but seeing his debate performance and his slowing physical movements in recent months, it was clouding the message.   Now the legacy can continue with someone more vibrant and inspiring for a wide swath of younger voters.      He simply is too old for a second term.  It's just the truth.  That job ages people and he was older to begin with - so passing the torch to the VP, which is a little unusual, makes perfect sense.   It's like a logo re-branding, with the product being the same - you just needed to modernize.   They have and it has galvanized the movement and completely cut the legs out from under the singular Republican strategy of "HE'S OLD!".   Actually, it's flipped it on it's head.     Both Trump and Biden are too old but now only Trump has to deal with that.     The new Republican strategy of the whole DEI thing is only working with the people that are already on board.   Let them continue on that path.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

That misses the point BLM is making. 

The DELEGATES elect their candidate, NOT the primary voters. Here is one Democratic Party example, there are LOTS of others:

What was the outcome of the Democratic convention in 1912?

Democratic nominee

House Majority Leader Oscar Underwood had strong support from the Deep South but little appeal outside the region. At the convention, Wilson eventually secured the nomination over Clark after forty back-and-forth ballots.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The DELEGATES elect their candidate, NOT the primary voters. Here is one Democratic Party example, there are LOTS of others:

What was the outcome of the Democratic convention in 1912?

Democratic nominee

House Majority Leader Oscar Underwood had strong support from the Deep South but little appeal outside the region. At the convention, Wilson eventually secured the nomination over Clark after forty back-and-forth ballots.

Have you ever looked at the 1968 Democratic Primary results?   

Robert Kennedy Sr. (the sane RFK) didn't even enter the race until March 16th.   Eugene McCarthy was leading.   He had the most votes and the most delegates overall    Then Kennedy got the momentum.    Humphrey entered late.   

Going into the conventioin

McCarthy 38%
Kennedy 30%
LBJ  5%
Humphrey  2%

And conventional wisdom would lead you to believe that at least 2/3rds of Kennedy's votes would have gone to McCarthy, probably more,  so it wasn't even close, the Democratic voters wanted McCarthy, the power brokers thought he was too liberal.    Look, Kennedy and McCarthy appealed to the same type of voter, but Kennedy jumped in because he didn't think McCarthy had the charisma to go all the way.    I think Bobby would have trounced Nixon.   But once he and MLK died and the Democrats went to the cynical old establishment,  their voters felt abandoned, so they abandoned the party in return.      

They nominated Humphrey (and got their asses kicked).    They would have lost with McCarthy too, but maybe not as much.  

I'm just saying that you don't need to have Primaries to pick your nominee.     

Can't think of a more uninspiring choice than Hubert Humphrey.    Talk about dry white toast. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I wonder if some think that Joe is going to resign the Presidency tonight.   

I get why he'd want to maybe help Kamala by giving her the chance to have that title going in, but the biggest risk to that is MAGA Mike would be the next one up and we can't risk that.      

Joe can stay in DC and get the job done.   

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Have you ever looked at the 1968 Democratic Primary results?   

Robert Kennedy Sr. (the sane RFK) didn't even enter the race until March 16th.   Eugene McCarthy was leading.   He had the most votes and the most delegates overall    Then Kennedy got the momentum.    Humphrey entered late.   

Going into the conventioin

McCarthy 38%
Kennedy 30%
LBJ  5%
Humphrey  2%

They nominated Humphrey (and got their asses kicked).    They would have lost with McCarthy too, but maybe not as much.  

I'm just saying that you don't need to have Primaries to pick your nominee.     

Can't think of a more uninspiring choice than Hubert Humphrey.    Talk about dry white toast. 

Exactly my point.

Snap Primary?

No such thing... give me a break. BLM whining to try and get more pull at the DNC with this flop of an idea.

Sorry, but not going to happen.

Oh... and the delegates, and pretty much everyone, have already coalesced behind Kamala.

That's all she wrote.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I get why he'd want to maybe help Kamala by giving her the chance to have that title going in, but the biggest risk to that is MAGA Mike would be the next one up and we can't risk that.      

+1

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No chance, and we don’t want that, since it will motivate people more to wanna throw her out of office. And we want Biden to make it at least to Election Day.

Setting aside the sheer human awfulness of it, if Biden died before the election, I wonder whether Kamala would get a sympathy bump. I think it helped LBJ, although obviously different circumstances. Can barely imagine how crass the Republicans would be in response.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1