2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

41 minutes ago, romad1 said:

McRaven would have been an interesting and likely a Palin-like swing for the fences.  As Magglio Ordonez once said "when you try to do too much, you don't do much."

Isn’t that the “make your bed” guy that went viral years ago?

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

Isn’t that the “make your bed” guy that went viral years ago?

yeah, looks like it.   That probably reflects a world view out of place with the modern center-left Democrat party.   More in tune with the autocrats on the other side.  My very vaguely Buckminster Fuller worldview is that you are wasting time, indeed wasting precious resources, on a repetitive process that nobody sees or appreciates.   The time you spend on your bed each morning could be time spent capturing Bin Ladin, ever think of that Admiral McRaven? 

I noticed this when I was in Germany and the US military spent so much time on spit shine for its boots and the Germans in their serviceable (clean and dry) boots would scoff.  "You should spend that time learning how to fix your vehicles, yank"

28 minutes ago, romad1 said:

yeah, looks like it.   That probably reflects a world view out of place with the modern center-left Democrat party.   More in tune with the autocrats on the other side.  My very vaguely Buckminster Fuller worldview is that you are wasting time, indeed wasting precious resources, on a repetitive process that nobody sees or appreciates.   The time you spend on your bed each morning could be time spent capturing Bin Ladin, ever think of that Admiral McRaven? 

I noticed this when I was in Germany and the US military spent so much time on spit shine for its boots and the Germans in their serviceable (clean and dry) boots would scoff.  "You should spend that time learning how to fix your vehicles, yank"

Yeah - I think the way you describe this is "the sign-post is being confused with the road." The fundamental here (the road) is just self-discipline, taking care of domestics and learning your trade well could both be markers that that is going on, but neither is proof, and more to your point, keeping your priorities straight is actually a higher proof of discipline than getting distracted with the filigree. But then again, it was just a commencement speech and it was probably an apt metaphor that particular crowd.

More generally, the issue for military guys moving into politics is adjusting to the fact that you  always have to be convincing/motivating people to do what you want instead of just telling them.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I think the way you describe this is "the sign-post is being confused with the road." The fundamental here (the road) is just self-discipline, taking care of domestics and learning your trade well could both markers that that is going on, but neither is proof, and more to your point, keeping your priorities straight is actually a higher proof of discipline than getting distracted with the filigree. But then again, it was just a commencement speech and it was probably an apt metaphor that particular crowd.

The German army after WWII was closer to the Israeli model than the US Model which weirdly was closer to the Prussian model.  

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

The German army after WWII was closer to the Israeli model than the US Model which weirdly was closer to the Prussian model.  

I'm not a huge history buff but I just happened across a story about the battle of Waterloo the other day and I guess the Prussians saved Wellington's butt. I hadn't had much appreciation for the degree to which Napoleon has pissed off the whole European continent.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

'were building something here, detective, all the sectionals matter'

that was very quickly and from memory...the actual quote

We're building something here, detective. We're building it from scratch. All the pieces matter.

I actually had that on my white board for a considerable time.  Goddamn catnip for an investigator. 

Edited by romad1

I really don't get where the JD Vance and sofa thing comes from.............but I am enjoying it.   

I was at a Lemon Twigs concert last night - and they were beyond awesome.   I missed Biden's speech, so I watched some of it this morning and what I came away with was how Trump was probably losing his mind while watching it......totally freaking out..........and that made it one of the best speeches ever.

Another thing dawned on me the other day

16 years ago on the night that Obama was accepting the nomination, it was the 45th anniversary of the I Have A Dream speech and McCain ran an ad during the DNC congratulating Obama on that historic moment.     Wow, has that party changed.   I didn't like them back then, but wow, that was a very classy move by McCain.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Another thing dawned on me the other day

16 years ago on the night that Obama was accepting the nomination, it was the 45th anniversary of the I Have A Dream speech and McCain ran an ad during the DNC congratulating Obama on that historic moment.     Wow, has that party changed.   I didn't like them back then, but wow, that was a very classy move by McCain.  

that GOP is mouldering in the ground. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This really hasn't hit with any impact because he's seen as a Christ by his devoted followers.  Why wouldn't Christ just heal them? 

So he supported post-birth abortion before and also after he was against it.

More importantly "The left" spraypainted some stuff though FYI

Edited by pfife

49 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I really don't get where the JD Vance and sofa thing comes from.............but I am enjoying it.   

I think he wrote something in his book that people have taken wildly inaccurately to troll him.   In other words, turn about is fair play.  

Nate Cohn weighs in on early polls showing some tightening in Georgia...

It's one state (along with NC) where I think Kamala is a real net plus over Biden. Still need to focus more on the blue wall, but winning the Presidency is much much easier if GA is close / in play

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Nate Cohn weighs in on early polls showing some tightening in Georgia...

It's one state (along with NC) where I think Kamala is a real net plus over Biden. Still need to focus more on the blue wall, but winning the Presidency is much much easier if GA is close / in play

Dave Wasserman of Cook Political Report was saying she has way more paths to 270 than Biden did.