2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Nate Cohn weighs in on early polls showing some tightening in Georgia...

It's one state (along with NC) where I think Kamala is a real net plus over Biden. Still need to focus more on the blue wall, but winning the Presidency is much much easier if GA is close / in play

Can’t help but note the phonetics next to Kamala’s name, and remind me of something I think of every time I hear some right-winger—and it’s almost always a right-winger—botch the pronunciation as “Kuh-MAH-la”, and that include practically every right wing politician who can make their way to a microphone. They continually pronounce her name this way.

Is it because they honestly don’t know how her name is pronounced? No, of course not. They absolutely know. It’s because intentionally mispronouncing someone’s name is a basic sign of disrespect. Like, you are such a big nothing to me that I can’t even be bothered to pronounce your name correctly. Not for nothing, they did the same to Saddam Hussein by intentionally mispronouncing his name “sodom” for years and years. In fact, we all did it, because we all hated him. But anytime he is mentioned now, 20+ years later, it’s sad-DAHM. Don’t believe me? Go back and check out some video from that time.

Something to keep our eye (or, more exactly, ear) on, especially after she gets elected.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Can’t help but note the phonetics next to Kamala’s name, and remind me of something I think of every time I hear some right-winger—and it’s almost always a right-winger—botch the pronunciation as “Kuh-MAH-la”, and that include practically every right wing politician who can make their way to a microphone. They continually pronounce her name this way.

Is it because they honestly don’t know how her name is pronounced? No, of course not. They absolutely know. It’s because intentionally mispronouncing someone’s name is a basic sign of disrespect. Like, you are such a big nothing to me that I can’t even be bothered to pronounce your name correctly. Not for nothing, they did the same to Saddam Hussein by intentionally mispronouncing his name “sodom” for years and years. In fact, we all did it, because we all hated him. But anytime he is mentioned now, 20+ years later, it’s sad-DAHM. Don’t believe me? Go back and check out some video from that time.

Something to keep our eye (or, more exactly, ear) on, especially after she gets elected.

Mispronouncing her name is a good way to remind people she doesn't have an "American" name.

5 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

They really need to stop referring to her by her first name.  Extremely disrespectful and rude.

And, of course, deliberate.

I have often said Kamala here and haven't meant anything by it. It's one of those names that carries weight on its own. Madonna, Adele, Drake, Cher, Eminem, Prince, and Kamala.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I have often said Kamala here and haven't meant anything by it. It's one of those names that carries weight on its own. Madonna, Adele, Drake, Cher, Eminem, Prince, and Kamala.

while I understand what you’re saying, we did the same thing when Hillary Clinton ran for president. She got called Hillary.

When Donald Trump wants to insult Nancy Pelosi, he doesn’t call her Pelosi, he calls her Nancy.

i’m just saying that as a woman, I am noticing it much more than I did even 5-10 years ago. While it’s never maybe by most people meant intentionally as a disrespectful thing to call the senato, or the Congresswoman, the presidential candidate by their first name, nonetheless, it does, make an unconscious impact. 

I hope no one here is taking my meaning wrong, I am no way looking to say that anyone here is disrespectful in calling her Kamala. I’ve only just more recently been making myself more conscious about not referring to her by her first name.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

while I understand what you’re saying, we did the same thing when Hillary Clinton ran for president. She got called Hillary.

When Donald Trump wants to insult Nancy Pelosi, he doesn’t call her Pelosi, he calls her Nancy.

i’m just saying that as a woman, I am noticing it much more than I did even 5-10 years ago. While it’s never maybe by most people meant intentionally as a disrespectful thing to call the senato, or the Congresswoman, the presidential candidate by their first name, nonetheless, it does, make an unconscious impact. 

I hope no one here is taking my meaning wrong, I am no way I’m looking to say that anyone here is disrespectful in calling her Kamala. I’ve only just more recently been making myself more conscious about not referring to her by her first name.

I'm out of likes, but like.

2 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I hope no one here is taking my meaning wrong, I am no way I’m looking to say that anyone here is disrespectful in calling her Kamala. I’ve only just more recently been making myself more conscious about not referring to her by her first name.

I think a lot of people called her Hillary to differentiate from the president Bill. 

4 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I hope no one here is taking my meaning wrong, I am no way looking to say that anyone here is disrespectful in calling her Kamala. I’ve only just more recently been making myself more conscious about not referring to her by her first name.

I appreciate it. I think you're right about Hillary. That may have been in good nature as well by some to distinguish her from Bill, but I agree that others (particularly on the right) used it to diminish her and make her a "lesser than". And I think you're totally right about Pelosi.

I hear and appreciate your perspective, particularly in the third paragraph. I'll try to be more conscientious about my use.

4 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Yeah, no I don’t think that.

The more I think on the Hillary vs. Clinton issue, I agree. 

Someone who wanted to distinguish and be respectful would say "Secretary Clinton". No one was getting confused in October 2016 who you were talking about when you said "Clinton". And Hillary is not an indistinguishable name like Kamala that I think is akin to Prince, Cher, or Bono... There was also the whole social media movement calling her "Killary".

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The more I think on the Hillary vs. Clinton issue, I agree. 

Someone who wanted to distinguish and be respectful would say "Secretary Clinton". No one was getting confused in October 2016 who you were talking about when you said "Clinton". And Hillary is not an indistinguishable name like Kamala that I think is akin to Prince, Cher, or Bono... There was also the whole social media movement calling her "Killary".

I do remember at the Democratic debates Senator Sanders referring to her as Secretary Clinton. It was in marked contrast to the Republican debate where you had Little Marco Lyin Ted. 

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I appreciate it. I think you're right about Hillary. That may have been in good nature as well by some to distinguish her from Bill, but I agree that others (particularly on the right) used it to diminish her and make her a "lesser than". And I think you're totally right about Pelosi.

I hear and appreciate your perspective, particularly in the third paragraph. I'll try to be more conscientious about my use.

Listen, the honest truth is that I’m working on changing MY tendency to call her, and other women politicians by their first names, too!! 😁

(It’s like, finally, a freaking light bulb went off in my head)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

You can't go my what Trump says.

Sleepy Joe

Little Marco

But yes, Republicans tend to be very disrespectful of women