2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The furniture thing is stupid and hopefully it will pass so we can focus on his general awfulness.

If the Russians told Trump to pick him because they wanted the electoral system here to collapse, it is failing spectacularly so far.

Oh it's dumb for sure but a multi front attack is good with me.

As lbj said, make the sonbish deny it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

That is already the case between claiming dependents and child tax credits.

It's a fair point and was his rebuttal.... just an odd way to argue his point though, although people do tend to make odd arguments when they go onto the Charlie Kirk Show.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The completely unfair aspect of the couch loving is what I appreciate.  If Donald Trump can call this the worst economy ever and a failed country without any evidence whatsoever.  Then, i'm here for ridiculous attacks on him that disrupt their focus. 

Vance also shares a ticket with a guy who has engaged in this sort of **** repeatedly over the years without much of any consequences. 

It's not a huge surprise that he's not getting much of any sympathy.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm actually not sold that the furniture thing is getting a whole lot of play off the internet, TBH. 

Yeah not sure either, I did see that Colbert did a skit on his show about it

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

Yeah not sure either, I did see that Colbert did a skit on his show about it

For sure, not saying it isn't a "thing", but just don't know, to the extent that it distracts from other issues with Vance, how much of a "thing" it really is out there.

FWIW, I mentioned it to my wife yesterday (who doesn't follow this stuff like I do) and she hadn't heard about it.... but she had mentioned the "cat lady" comments to me and has seen other comments of his that have surfaced.

Just now, mtutiger said:

For sure, not saying it isn't a "thing", but just don't know, to the extent that it distracts from other issues with Vance, how much of a "thing" it really is out there.

FWIW, I mentioned it to my wife yesterday (who doesn't follow this stuff like I do) and she hadn't heard about it.... but she had mentioned the "cat lady" comments to me and has seen other comments of his that have surfaced.

"Cat lady" is a bigger deal.   Trump firing his campaign staff because of their rank incompetence might not change your vote but it will cause disruption for him.   So, anything that leads to that outcome works.  

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That's cool to hear that's def the message we would like people to hear from him given the choice to Chas point.

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

That is already the case between claiming dependents and child tax credits.

I never appreciated it because before we had kids we didn’t make all that much. Then we went 20 years and our income grew.  Those credits were the difference between getting something back and having to cut a check. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, TBF, that's always been true. The exemption you get for a dependent is effectively  a rate reduction.

Again, his comments framing higher tax rates as "punishment" for childless families is kinda the issue here IMO. 

Just no political sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Again, his comments framing higher tax rates as "punishment" for childless families is kinda the issue here IMO. 

Just no political sense whatsoever. 

true - even in a sound bite, vidclip era where context is easily lost, it still matters.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The furniture thing is stupid and hopefully it will pass so we can focus on his general awfulness.

If the Russians told Trump to pick him because they wanted the electoral system here to collapse, it is failing spectacularly so far.

It wasn't the Russians, it was folks like Peter Thiel who control Vance and promised Trump big $$$

29 minutes ago, pfife said:

That's cool to hear that's def the message we would like people to hear from him given the choice to Chas point.

Right, I would rather Vance be framed as a dangerous man we have to take seriously, versus a clown we can laugh at and dismiss. A lot of us did that with Trump eight years ago and how did that turn out.

Just now, chasfh said:

Good point, but also, this:

Not surprising. I keep going back to Trump's body language early in his first go round that included a meeting with Putin. Look like he was taken to the woodshed and used like one of JD's couches

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Right, I would rather Vance be framed as a dangerous man we have to take seriously, versus a clown we can laugh at and dismiss. A lot of us did that with Trump eight years ago and how did that turn out.

Weird and dangerous is the correct framing.   

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not surprising. I keep going back to Trump's body language early in his first go round that included a meeting with Putin. Look like he was taken to the woodshed and used like one of JD's couches

Man, I hate running out of likes.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Weird and dangerous is the correct framing.   

I agree, but there's a fine line between balancing the two properly and overplaying one's hand too much to the innocuous side. Couch-****ing sounds so ludicrous that it's easy to dismiss anyone engaging in it as a nothingburger. JD Vance would not be a nothingburger if he came into power, not even as vice president.