2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Because requiring adherence to real ethics standards and expanding guarantees of rule of law is just the same thing as commandeering the judiciary with pet jurists.

Post better than this.

Why does his voice not count? He represents the people that elected him. Many of those Americans have roots to Cuba, Venezuela and various oppressive countries. Not everyone wants to upend the SC believe it or not. 

Why do I have to find a better post? Is this a twitter parody account lol. 

28 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why does his voice not count? He represents the people that elected him. Many of those Americans have roots to Cuba, Venezuela and various oppressive countries. Not everyone wants to upend the SC believe it or not. 

Why do I have to find a better post? Is this a twitter parody account lol. 

He voice may 'count' - doesn't mean it's worth asking anyone else to waste their time reading when his logic is drivel. YMMV. :classic_tongue:

Not to mention by posting it without any critique  of it's silliness you associate yourself with a dumb take. Now I realize a lot of that goes on here, but more isn't better.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He voice may 'count' - doesn't mean it's worth asking anyone else to waste their time reading when his logic is drivel. YMMV. :classic_tongue:

Counter point: I don’t think as many Americans as you guys think are in favor of term limits for the SC. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Harris becoming the nominee seems to have broke him. He's turned into a MAGA troll since she became the nominee. 

lol the guy pounding the drum for Biden until the day he quit accusing me of flipping. Remember all the times you said Harris was a terrible candidate? Also went radio silence on Hamas at almost the same time. 

24 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Counter point: I don’t think as many Americans as you guys think are in favor of term limits for the SC. 

The level or political support will work its way out in the wash. That result has nothing to do with the disingenuousness of  rhetorically conflating proposals that are clearly an effort toward publicly supported government reform that can be honestly debated, with the actions of a tyrant like Maduro to consolidate strong man rule.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

lol the guy pounding the drum for Biden until the day he quit accusing me of flipping. Remember all the times you said Harris was a terrible candidate? Also went radio silence on Hamas at almost the same time. 

I mean, Biden is out. What am I supposed to do? Become a MAGA troll now? I never said Harris was a terrible candidate. I said there is no evidence she would do better than Biden. There still isn't. The Hamasholes also went silent after Biden's debate. Like I have said numerous times it was op to damage Biden. 

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, Biden is out. What am I supposed to do? Become a MAGA troll now? I never said Harris was a terrible candidate. I said there is no evidence she would do better than Biden. There still isn't. The Hamasholes also went silent after Biden's debate. Like I have said numerous times it was op to damage Biden. 

I think there was in fact considerable discussion that Harris was the only viable alternative to Biden.

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Good for you I respect that. Millions of Americans will vote for Trump. I am one vote. In America we get to freely think and say what we want, it’s still beautiful to me. If the world ends when/if Trump gets elected I will leave my baseball cards to you. That’s how much I like debating with you. 

• Haha 1

I think 18 years is too short.  I would go with 24.  That gets you through 3 maximum presidencies, something we only saw twice in history. (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Clinton, Bush, Obama).   I think you keep the spirit of a lifetime appointment.  It would have affected these recent justices.  Breyer, Ginsberg, Thomas, Rehnquist, Scalia, Stevens. 

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think 18 years is too short.  I would go with 24.  That gets you through 3 maximum presidencies, something we only saw twice in history. (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Clinton, Bush, Obama).   I think you keep the spirit of a lifetime appointment.  It would have affected these recent justices.  Breyer, Ginsberg, Thomas, Rehnquist, Scalia, Stevens. 

IDK. I can see the arg that you want SCOTUS to be a long lagging drag on whatever the current political winds might be blowing - that's not the part that would bother me. What I don't like is young judges on the SCOTUS - I really would prefer people with deeper life and professional experience. If you make the max term longer, each side will continue to search for the youngest judges they can get through confirmation so they never suffer a retirement/death out of sequence. So from that standpoint 15-18 is more the sweet spot to me.

• Like 1

I have a coworker who has a Sic Semper Tyranus tattoo on his forearm.  He's a decent guy who does not work very hard and because he lost his wife to cancer he gets a massive pass on his performance and his regular absenteeism because of his alcoholism.  He's also a government employee.  That very fact has protected him from being fired.  And yet, this guy is mister cognitive dissonance when it comes to the fact that the government has a function and that he is part of that government.   He will probably be a key promotee if Project 2025 comes around to smash the administrative state. 

And, he had the gaul after he went away for a long stretch in the rehab to tell me "i've hit rock bottom."   I told him: "fool, you haven't hit rock bottom until you go to work under the overpass giving sailors handies in exchange for drinking money.  This government gig has put you in a cocoon that allows you to live the fantasy that you are struggling."

Anyway...plenty of people out there with this sort of dissonance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

That was a weird story.

It's not uncommon though. In American the contradiction between the fact that we are just a slightly more stingy than average social welfare democracy collides head on with the oversold cowboy myth of personal self-sufficiency. One psychological defense for this cognitive dissonance in the dependent is to become harshly committed to ending government support for dependencies (but other people's of course)

Edited by gehringer_2