2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

What’s probably wrong is they’re finally realizing they don’t need to send him out into the world anymore. They’re not gaining anyone new and they’re probably losing people when he goes out.

Just hope the media have the stones to finally, finally, highlight his mental deficiencies during the final three weeks. 

5 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

IIRC, in '16 Drumpf was told to stay off of social media in order to not highlight his craziness in the last few weeks of the campaign. Maybe whoever is in charge is thinking he now needs to be kept out of the spotlight completely.

I absolutely think that is a part of their strategy. They feel like they are tied or ahead in this race. The less people see of Trump the better in his strategists minds. They don't want the average voter and swing voter to be exposed to the ridiculous stuff he says and the demented fool he has slowly eroded into.

• Like 1

Here's my conspiracy theories, I'm not one to believe them normally, but I'll throw these out there by saying if something weird is going on with the campaign, this is what they are likely to be, IMO:

1) Create the impression something is wrong, beyond what we have seen, attempt some kind of replacement on the ticket option "Look he's not well ok, you guys got to replace your candidate, let us replace ours", these votes shouldn't count, and when that obviously fails because a process isn't being followed by the GOP like it was the DEMs, they will use that to cry foul and that the election isn't fair and blah blah blah which will lead with chaos (their hope)

2) He knows he's losing and this is more about his trials and making him look unfit to be charged because it would be cruel.

41 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

IIRC, in '16 Drumpf was told to stay off of social media in order to not highlight his craziness in the last few weeks of the campaign. Maybe whoever is in charge is thinking he now needs to be kept out of the spotlight completely.

Isn’t it reassuring that we live in a country where the top two candidates for the presidency, to begin with, were Biden and Trump. And isn’t it really wonderful that the powers that be of both parties would have preferred their candidates stay out of the limelight so that they wouldn’t harm their chances of being elected by being seen or heard. 

Edited by 1776

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Isn’t it reassuring that we live in a country where the top two candidates for the presidency, to begin with, were Biden and Trump. And isn’t really wonderful that the powers that be of both parties would have preferred their candidates were to stay out of the limelight so that they wouldn’t harm their chances of being elected by being seen or heard. 

I thought it was very reassuring that the Democrats had a candidate who was the most productive president since Johnson and had decades of experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

and Trump doesn’t seem particularly inclined to increase it. I honestly don’t think he cares.

That is one possible read, but I tend toward an alternate view. Trump is stuck in 1980 - either because of age or vascular  driven neurologicala deficit leading to loss of frontal lobe integration or just because of his basic narcissistic inward view, his view of reality is fixed/regressed back to his golden boy swinging NYC idol days circa 40 yrs ago. He understands everything that was true then to be what is true now, so in his political calculation he can't lose the election because he is playing to the overwhelming majority of what that America was. His majority can't be outvoted unless people are cheating. His advisors don't know what they are talking about with their constant carping on him to go here and do this.

He certainly cares if he wins because even through his thick skull it has penetrated that if he loses he's going to jail.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

Here's my conspiracy theories, I'm not one to believe them normally, but I'll throw these out there by saying if something weird is going on with the campaign, this is what they are likely to be, IMO:

1) Create the impression something is wrong, beyond what we have seen, attempt some kind of replacement on the ticket option "Look he's not well ok, you guys got to replace your candidate, let us replace ours", these votes shouldn't count, and when that obviously fails because a process isn't being followed by the GOP like it was the DEMs, they will use that to cry foul and that the election isn't fair and blah blah blah which will lead with chaos (their hope)

2) He knows he's losing and this is more about his trials and making him look unfit to be charged because it would be cruel.

I understand that people want to apply strategy to it or conspiracies and all, but the Occam's Razor explanation here is that Donald Trump is 78 years old and both in poor health and evasive as to his medical history. And unable to get in front of a crowd that isn't a perfectly curated safe-space for him (ie. compare Fox Women's Town Hall vs. Univision Town Hall).

To the extent that any of this is strategic, it's because his campaign has literally no other choice than to pursue it because of the candidate's apparent weaknesses and declining mental abilities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Isn’t it reassuring that we live in a country where the top two candidates for the presidency, to begin with, were Biden and Trump. And isn’t it really wonderful that the powers that be of both parties would have preferred their candidates stay out of the limelight so that they wouldn’t harm their chances of being elected by being seen or heard. 

"Were" is doing a hell of a lot of work here.

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought it was very reassuring that the Democrats had a candidate who was the most productive president since Johnson and had decades of experience. 

Johnson and Biden both read the tea leaves and stepped aside. They do have one thing in common.

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Trump is going to ban guns

This may sound crazy but I believe it to be true.

Trump has had a database of gun owners since 2016.

He initially used it to target guns owners as they would likely be Republican voters or right leaning.

For him to use it to ban guns isn't far fetched.

Needless to say - all the gun owners I know enthusiastically support Trump.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I fully expect the Weinstein Walker if/when Trump goes to court next time.

image.thumb.jpeg.d4b14a9654e67f2b6c8fe87359cb4ef1.jpeg

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

That is one possible read, but I tend toward an alternate view. Trump is stuck in 1980 - either because of age or vascular  driven neurologicala deficit leading to loss of frontal lobe integration or just because of his basic narcissistic inward view, his view of reality is fixed/regressed back to his golden boy swinging NYC idol days circa 40 yrs ago. He understands everything that was true then to be what is true now, so in his political calculation he can't lose the election because he is playing to the overwhelming majority of what that America was. His majority can't be outvoted unless people are cheating. His advisors don't know what they are talking about with their constant carping on him to go here and do this.

He certainly cares if he wins because even through his thick skull it has penetrated that if he loses he's going to jail.

As logical as this sounds, counterpoint is that Jack Smith did release transcript evidence that Trump knew he lost, and acknowledged as much, which suggests he knew the election was fair and square.