2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

A summary of the history of Dearborn voting in primaries and it shows how kooky the arab american vote can be....

also note the lack of women in the photo. 

I looked up the Sterling Heights primary which has a high Arab population and even in the more Arab precincts in the SW part of the city Biden won every precinct. Whitmer won Sterling Heights and she won in all the more Arab precincts. Tudor won the northern whiter precincts. There really wasn't any change in support in Sterling Heights even in the Arab precincts for Whitmer from 2018 to 2022 like there was in Dearborn. This seems uniquely Dearborn. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I looked up the Sterling Heights primary which has a high Arab population and even in the more Arab precincts in the SW part of the city Biden won every precinct. Whitmer won Sterling Heights and she won in all the more Arab precincts. Tudor won the northern whiter precincts. There really wasn't any change in support in Sterling Heights even in the Arab precincts for Whitmer from 2018 to 2022 like there was in Dearborn. This seems uniquely Dearborn. 

I think it has to do with the individual Arabs/Muslims and where they are from and when they got here. It's very tribal and you get people from Iraq going after Yemenis and all the while the Syrians and Lebanese look down on them because they've been here for couple of generations already. 

Probably the same way non whites look at conflicts in places like the UK between England and Ireland and Northern Ireland and Wales.... "Whats the matter with you people?"

A real Hatfields and McCoys situation going on.  Reliving old country beefs that go back decades and centuries.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I think it has to do with the individual Arabs/Muslims and where they are from and when they got here. It's very tribal and you get people from Iraq going after Yemenis and all the while the Syrians and Lebanese look down on them because they've been here for couple of generations already. 

Probably the same way non whites look at conflicts in places like the UK between England and Ireland and Northern Ireland and Wales.... "Whats the matter with you people?"

A real Hatfields and McCoys situation going on.  Reliving old country beefs that go back decades and centuries.

I believe the majority of Arabs in Sterling Heights are from Iraq. They started coming to the area after the Iraq war. The Arab population really started to grow the past 20 years. I'm even noticing an increase in the Arab and Muslim population in Warren. There are at least two Muslim families just on my block. I think they're Pakistani. I haven't seen any Palestinian flags in the area. 

31 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think it has to do with the individual Arabs/Muslims and where they are from and when they got here.

It's a good point and one to remember when describing any minority group, let alone Arabs.

You'd think with the differences between Hispanics in South Florida (mostly Cuban and South Americans fleeing communist regimes) and Arizona or California (mostly Mexican) we would learn not to speak about demographics in purely monolithic terms. But here we are.

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

Reliving old country beefs that go back decades and centuries.

I remember when my grandfather was alive and the old Armenian men would sit around and agitate about what was going on the 'old country.' My GF, who had probably suffered more personal loss in the genocides than all the rest of them, had no use for any of it. "This is your home now, forget all that!"

• Like 1

I was #550 on Friday afternoon, after a week of voting.  I assume that means 550 voted before me?  It ran until Sunday I believe.  We had one central early location.  So we will see how things play out here.  My son works at the center and said anytime he went near the gym where it was set up he dind't see anybody except workers.

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

The mayor here is very young. When he ran for the state house in 2016 he ran against the WWE Wrestler, Rino, a local.

Didn't I read somewhere this guy was behind the abandon Bush campaign in 2004? It seemed to make more sense for Arabs to abandon Bush after 9/11, but this guy seems more like a chaos agent. 

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was #550 on Friday afternoon, after a week of voting.  I assume that means 550 voted before me?  It ran until Sunday I believe.  We had one central early location.  So we will see how things play out here.  My son works at the center and said anytime he went near the gym where it was set up he dind't see anybody except workers.

The state as a whole (mail + early voting) is at around 1M per that umichvoter guy on Twitter, so I suspect a lot of people put it in envelopes and mailed it in.

It's hard to parse election day anecdotes because obviously there's a ton of precincts and they aren't all alike, but the idea of an army of national reporters hanging out a random precinct in Dearborn really demonstrates, for a lack of better term, thirstiness on their part.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't I read somewhere this guy was behind the abandon Bush campaign in 2004? It seemed to make more sense for Arabs to abandon Bush after 9/11, but this guy seems more like a chaos agent. 

Yes he was.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm wondering how many people were motivated to vote for Biden because of the uncommitted campaign? My parents weren't going to vote because they knew Biden would win but chose to because of this uncommitted nonsense. 

I did.  I was going to vote for Haley but then this nonsense came up.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if the media is putting the same effort in polling locations in Kent or Ottawa counties asking who's abandoning Trump for Haley? 

I'm not sure the media is aware that anything in Michigan exists west of US 23 or north of M-59 lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There was hardly anyone at my early voting center on Saturday. They had a lot of poll workers doing nothing. There were 8 workers at the check in table and 6 of them were Muslim. 

How could you tell they were Muslim?