2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If I were a worker and heard that I would give them the nonpartisan because you don’t announce to the worker who you are voting for.  They aren’t there to help you fill out the ballot. 

I didn’t know there was a nonpartisan ballot. They didn’t ask me. I was aksed Republican or Democrat. Then English or Arabic. 

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

If I were a worker and heard that I would give them the nonpartisan because you don’t announce to the worker who you are voting for.  They aren’t there to help you fill out the ballot. 

I didn’t know there was a nonpartisan ballot. They didn’t ask me. I was aksed Republican or Democrat. Then English or Arabic. 

They have Arabic ballots so that kind of eliminates the language barrier. I can't imagine Dearborn wouldn't have Arabic speaking poll workers. When I voted they handed me a card to fill out and check what ballot I wanted. 

there were 3 checkboxes on my slip, Democrat Ballot, Republican Ballot, and a third one with a longer description.  The guy in front of me marked that third one and they said that one wasn't actually a possibility.

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I look forward to being told how this doesn't matter yet again....

It appears to be a pattern and it is is definately worth watching.  Whether or not the same thing is happening in the general election polls is unknown, but seeing his strength getting overestimated in the primaries gives us hope that the same thing is happening in the general election polling.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It appears to be a pattern and it is is definately worth watching.  Whether or not the same thing is happening in the general election polls is unknown, but seeing his strength getting overestimated in the primaries gives us hope that the same thing is happening in the general election polling.  

My home county is just about finished counting (Huron), located in one of the more conservative, Trumpy areas of the state, and he's pulling 72%. With not half bad turnout in the Democratic primary taking place simultaneously relative to partisanship.

That's pretty eye-opening to me.

Edited by mtutiger

The Dearborn numbers (which I guess could still fluctuate) just seem really underwhelming for the uncommitted campaign considering the outsized media coverage it has gotten.

Overall, philosophically, I don't have a problem with uncommitted. It's designed as a pressure relief valve, and it can still have that practice here, I really do believe it.

But the fact that this became so polarized is 100% on the media. They just *had* to have a story to run with, and they will have it whether the results bear it out or not.

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Uncommitted pulls 56% in Dearborn, it appears

From having friends run for council I learned that showings in primaries can be misleading in terms of passion. That 5,000 number could be a maximum.  For example in a crowded primary for 7 council seats with 17 candidates on the ballot you would see a crowded and mixed field with everyone around 1 to 2 thousand votes. But you can’t assume the top vote getters carry over. Someone like me runs then all my friends and family vote for me.  That’s all I got. I tap out.  Come the general then the incumbents pick up the non primary voters who know their names. A fifth place finisher in the primary can be the top finisher in the election.

The passion behind that uncommitted vote drew them to the polls. Those who care about Gaza voted. That’s their top line number now. 

• Like 1