2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 minute ago, oblong said:

From having friends run for council I learned that showings in primaries can be misleading in terms of passion. That 5,000 number could be a maximum.  For example in a crowded primary for 7 council seats with 17 candidates on the ballot you would see a crowded and mixed field with everyone around 1 to 2 thousand votes. But you can’t assume the top vote getters carry over. Someone like me runs then all my friends and family vote for me.  That’s all I got. I tap out.  Come the general then the incumbents pick up the non primary voters who know their names. A fifth place finisher in the primary can be the top finisher in the election.

For sure, I learned this from living with runoffs in Texas. Coalitions can scramble.

All this talk about my hometown means I have to extend an invite now to anyone to come have a drink or sandwich with me. My treat. My brewery doesn’t serve food but we can visit my friend Sam who will give us more food than we can eat. 

• Thanks 2

I don't think I've been to Dearborn in about 13 or so years other than driving by on 94. I went for a job interview there and realized I forgot to bring my notepad so I stopped at a Family Dollar on Michigan Ave to pick one up. A day or two later I catch on the news two people working there were killed. 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think I've been to Dearborn in about 13 or so years other than driving by on 94. I went for a job interview there and realized I forgot to bring my notepad so I stopped at a Family Dollar on Michigan Ave to pick one up. A day or two later I catch on the news two people working there were killed. 

I remember that day well. It rained really hard.  They took the girl near the train tracks by southfield fwy and shot her.  I drive by the spot all the freaking time and think about it a lot.  

Not really breaking through this AM, but worth noting that some of Biden's best margins are in Pontiac and Southfield, with Detroit not far behind (UC in mid single digits)

There's work to be done on AA turnout, but the margins suggest he's still reasonably strong with this group

45 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not really breaking through this AM, but worth noting that some of Biden's best margins are in Pontiac and Southfield, with Detroit not far behind (UC in mid single digits)

There's work to be done on AA turnout, but the margins suggest he's still reasonably strong with this group

But Trump just saw so many black people recently, and the shoes too.  AA's love shoes.  Why isn't it working?!?!?!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Amazing to think the Muslims-Americans would do anything to help get Trump re-elected. Reap what you sow dumb assess. Trump is:

the guy with 3 different Muslim bans (1st 2 voided, 3rd upheld) who vows another one when re-elected

the guy who gut aid to Palestinians - aid that Biden restored his first few months in office

the guy who attacks the squad as unAmerican, worthy of deportation

I spent a couple of years trying to supervise (on site) the drivers who worked for the company that had the monopoly on taxis and limos at DTW. This was about 12 years or so ago. My initial take is that these guys are not much different from your average MAGA

The media keeps saying Biden is in trouble because of uncommitted votes.  What about a former President only getting 68% of his own party's vote?  That is pretty weak.  Dump got 94% in 2020.  I am very concerned that Dump will win the general election, but his primary performance has been poor.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The media keeps saying Biden is in trouble because of uncommitted votes.  What about a former President only getting 68% of his own party's vote?  That is pretty weak.  Dump got 94% in 2020.  I am very concerned that Dump will win the general election, but his primary performance has been poor.  

The media have been very poor this cycle with their narratives and analysis in this cycle.

• Thanks 1

I'm old enough to remember when Sharon Angle and the rest of the Tea Party used to descend on Dearborn to hold rallies where they would burn the Quran and accuse them of being terrorists and practicing Sharia law. I remember them claiming Dearborn was an ISIS training center and a no go zone. I remember Jesse Watters doing a piece about how they stoned a woman to death for buying condoms. Now they are all running to the Republican party so they can hate gays together and make sure women don't get abortions. 

• Like 1

To me, the biggest issue I see for Trump coming out of last night is that he did really poorly in West Michigan... 58% of the vote in Kent County, 61% in Ottawa (which used to be the most bedrock GOP County in the state).

Trump won the GR region (barely) in 2020... there's a decent body of evidence that suggests he can lose it outright in this election. 

He can still win Michigan, the polls certainly say he can... but West Michigan and its trends are a real barrier and suggest he will have to make up losses elsewhere.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To me, the biggest issue I see for Trump coming out of last night is that he did really poorly in West Michigan... 58% of the vote in Kent County, 61% in Ottawa (which used to be the most bedrock GOP County in the state).

Trump won the GR region (barely) in 2020... there's a decent body of evidence that suggests he can lose it outright in this election. 

He can still win Michigan, the polls certainly say he can... but West Michigan and its trends are a real barrier and suggest he will have to make up losses elsewhere.

If Trump won anywhere with a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes that would be news. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

TBH, I don't get it either. You make a protest vote in the primary, but where are you going to go in the general? As Ratko posted, Trump's problems with Muslims are lot deeper than the Gaza War. Will they stay home? I doubt it, naturalized citizens love to vote - in general a lot more than natives.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Yeah it's just one person but Charlie Langton talked to a black guy yesterday at the polls who basically said "My people were lynched for the right to vote and I'm not messing around with it"

I enjoy "Finding Your Roots" on PBS. It is interesting when they try to track an AA history as it always seems to end with a Census of a slave owners posessions. They usually look at slaves age of brother sisters to try to find the relatives, super sad. Though there were a few instances were they found former slaves that voted after being freed. Of course this right was rescinded by white supremacist Democrates after the union army left. What was really cool is even after that they showed up in the next election cycle as a re-registred voter. I can only imagine the intimidation and threats they went through to vote. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Biden should offer Haley a position in his next administration.

Whether that's Ambassador to the UN or something else...

That would be a dagger...

No he shouldn't offer a right winger who thinks he won't even survive until the election a cabinet position. 

• Thanks 1