2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I don’t know who came up with the term “tankies”, but it’s stupid. This and the Gaza thread have devolved into nuance-free polarization. And lots of exaggerated statements. Occasionally there will be a post that tries to show a balanced approach (Hamas is unquestionably horrible, but Bibi and his policies are also bad, just not as much, but can less Gazan kids starve or die, please). Casting everyone as in two camps, calling people names serves no good purpose. IMO

image.gif.eae88f58a45fd6fcde8b5bc6bdcedc2a.gif

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I should have added union-busting railroad workers to my list above as well.

"Brothers and Sisters,

Things sometimes move very quickly in politics, and this is one of those moments. In the last few days, the AFL-CIO has endorsed the re-election of Joe Biden and has asked the affiliates who will endorse in this race to do so as well at this juncture."

2024 Biden – Transport Workers Union (twu.org)

Biden got them what they asked for. 

Take the ACA as another example. Some of the best things the ACA did were its most progressive, big government ideals. Things like being on your parents healthcare until your 26, expanding Medicaid to cover more Americans, and having the government step in and regulate big insurance companies so they could not discriminate on the basis of preexisting conditions. Some of the more free market promises it made, around lowering costs and premiums through exchanges did happen at some level, but not to the extent I think initially promised. The ACA is another example of where bigger government and more regulation and price controls can help the average American. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Take the ACA as another example. Some of the best things the ACA did were its most progressive, big government ideals. Things like being on your parents healthcare until your 26, expanding Medicaid to cover more Americans, and having the government step in and regulate big insurance companies so they could not discriminate on the basis of preexisting conditions. Some of the more free market promises it made, around lowering costs and premiums through exchanges did happen at some level, but not to the extent I think initially promised. The ACA is another example of where bigger government and more regulation and price controls can help the average American. 

When is Bernie Sanders going to whip up the 60 votes needed for any of that?

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What's the point of the photo above? Above as much point as this photo I guess.

Former President Clinton named in Jeffrey Epstein's client list | Fox News

One of the people in your picture is dead, another is in prison, and the other hasn’t held office in over 20 years. In my picture is a sitting US senators and recent congresswoman lobbying to be vice president on the presumptive nominee’s ticket. This follows a pattern of people from Sanders orbit becoming anti democratic such as Nina Turner, Briana Joy Grey, and David Sirota to name a few. 

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This needs to go into an ad.... 

If the GOP refugees would wake up and realize that having now been pretty formally excommunicated it's really time to stop gnawing the cold bones of old dead plots to 'regain' their party and accede to joining the opposition. You'd think that, but it's still not happening.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If the GOP refugees would wake up and realize that having now been pretty formally excommunicated it's really time to stop gnawing the cold bones of old dead plots to 'regain' their party and accede to joining the opposition. You'd think that, but it's still not happening.

In dribs and drabs it is...

But not enough yet to drive the point home...

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

In dribs and drabs it is...

But not enough yet to drive the point home...

The marker would be to see  couple of elected official change parties. Instead of fighting back they are just resigning. The gap is too wide now, this aint Don Riegle's party politics.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I read other accounts like this as well.   Caucuses are pretty grim anyways but this seems like it makes them untenable.   I don't mean to blame the game instead of the player b/c these players are dirty pieces of **** but caucuses need to go just out of harm reduction principle