2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

My dad used to roll his own cigarettes. He got a $10 gadget at a tobacco shop. You buy a can of tobacco and a box of tubes and filters. You pack the tobacco into the gadget and put the empty tube on the end and pull the slide and packs the tobacco into the tube and filter. I discover it was good for weed so I got one and would get the blank tubes and just cut off the filters. Much better than trying to use papers to roll my own. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You know, this is really a sneaky good point here: fabricating a spending crisis using a supposedly inevitable social security bankruptcy gives congressional fiscal scolds on the far right a nice cudgel with which they can strong-arm spending cuts in social programs for the poor to help offset ginormous tax breaks for gajillionaires.

same as it ever was

35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My dad used to roll his own cigarettes. He got a $10 gadget at a tobacco shop. You buy a can of tobacco and a box of tubes and filters. You pack the tobacco into the gadget and put the empty tube on the end and pull the slide and packs the tobacco into the tube and filter.

Yes! Laredos! My dad had one too! For about a week anyway ...

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

The question, of course, is: are they allowed do this? Because if they can, this seems like the easiest, least bloody out of it. Or are they bound to make a decision in the same session they put it on the docket?

yes. they are allowed to do whatever they want. But, once 5 justices agree, Roberts can issue a decision. Dissents have been formally added months after decisions. Roberts will have a 7-2 vote against Trump right away.

Roberts will write the decision, and I will say that he will wait as long as he can for Thomas and Alito to come around. That is a good faith reason for Roberts to wait a little bit of time, even if Thomas and Alito will act in bad faith by trying to delay as long as possible.

Roberts really wants it to be 9-0, even if he ends up with 2 insane concurrences by Thomas and Alito.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

yes. they are allowed to do whatever they want. But, once 5 justices agree, Roberts can issue a decision. Dissents have been formally added months after decisions. Roberts will have a 7-2 vote against Trump right away.

Roberts will write the decision, and I will say that he will wait as long as he can for Thomas and Alito to come around. That is a good faith reason for Roberts to wait a little bit of time, even if Thomas and Alito will act in bad faith by trying to delay as long as possible.

Roberts really wants it to be 9-0, even if he ends up with 2 insane concurrences by Thomas and Alito.

Aww, so adorable … 😉

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

In all seriousness, if as you say the Court can do anything it wants, then punting the decision to next year seems the most likely outcome, because I don’t see any way there is not five votes for Trump right now and forever, given three of them are Trump appointees and two others were already pre-cooked for him when he came onto the scene, and I do think Robert’s is concerned enough about his own legacy to not want all that blood all over himself.

I interpreted the joke as more of a dig at the whole immunity issue, and the Trump lawyer who fumbled the Seal Team Six hypothetical in court, than it was a MAGA-style ha-ha-I-was-just-kidding-about-killing-you joke.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I interpreted the joke as more of a dig at the whole immunity issue, and the Trump lawyer who fumbled the Seal Team Six hypothetical in court, than it was a MAGA-style ha-ha-I-was-just-kidding-about-killing-you joke.

image.jpeg.739375993aa7e131474154053a738c39.jpeg

13 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

The joke is not about killing people. The "joke" is about the ridiculous claim and far reaching consequence of claiming a president has "absolute immunity".

yeah that seemed obvious to me. It was a dig at Trump's lawyers, and possibly some on the SC who might be too clever and book smart to understand the practical ramifications of what they are willing to grant a POTUS over idealogical purity (Not unlike IVF and Dobbs)

The idea that the center and center-left are expected to restrain themself in the face of threats of violence.    I am not going to be sent to the gas chamber because of Clarence Thomas's desire to get free recreational vehicles from his rich friends who want his vote to be a lock for their interests.  

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well, what do you expect the guy to say? After all, it's probably what his social circle and his media and his church is telling him.

Hillary notwithstanding, this may well be a problem to some marginal degree for Democrats, too.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The idea that the center and center-left are expected to restrain themself in the face of threats of violence.    I am not going to be sent to the gas chamber because of Clarence Thomas's desire to get free recreational vehicles from his rich friends who want his vote to be a lock for their interests.  

Thank you for that Alarmist Non-sense! I am not alone! 😜

• Like 1

Your keyboard to God's monitor, Mike.

1 big thing: Biden wants to go for Trump's jugular

1709598195438.jpg

President Biden walks off Air Force One at LAX last month. Photo: Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

President Biden is privately pushing for a much more aggressive approach to 2024: Go for Donald Trump's jugular.

• Why it matters: Biden is convinced he'll rattle Trump if he taunts him daily, Axios' Hans Nichols and Alex Thompson report.

Biden has told friends he thinks Trump is wobbly, both intellectually and emotionally, and will explode if Biden mercilessly gigs and goads him — "go haywire in public," as one adviser put it.

• Other sources tell us Biden is looking for a fight.
  • Biden's instincts tell him to let it fly when warning about the consequences of Trump winning the presidency again. Biden told The New Yorker that Trump would refuse to admit losing, again.

👓 Between the lines: The "trigger Trump" approach would be a departure from a traditional Rose Garden re-election campaign.

• Instead of focusing on jobs and the economy — areas in which polls suggest Americans aren't giving Biden much credit — Biden would be making the contest as much about Trump as his own accomplishments.
  • One potential upside: It would help assuage concerns about Biden's age by showing that at 81, he can still throw a Scranton punch.

State of play: It's unclear whether Biden will flash his new fighting spirit at the State of the Union address on Thursday. But his feistiness has been apparent in recent weeks.

• "Loser" has become a favorite Biden taunt of Trump lately.

In a rare, lengthy interview with The New Yorker published yesterday, Biden said: "I'm the only one who has ever beat him. And I'll beat him again."

• "Trump lost 60 court cases — 60," Biden said recently, referring to the legal challenges on Trump's behalf that alleged fraud in the 2020 election. (It was 63, actually.) "The legal path just took him back to the truth — that I won the election, and he was a loser."

🔭 Zoom out: In a speech at Valley Forge, Pa., before the third anniversary of the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, Biden attacked Trump in terms that were clearly personal — and nearly profane.

• He suggested Trump was a "sick [blank]" before catching himself.

1709610869081.jpg

Former President Trump arrives to speak with reporters at Mar-a-Lago yesterday. Photo: Rebecca Blackwell/AP

Biden advisers have some evidence that Biden already is getting under Trump's skin.

• After Biden's appearance last week on "Late Night with Seth Meyers," Trump posted a video complaining about the show, calling the president a "basket case."

Share this story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Thank you for that Alarmist Non-sense! I am not alone! 😜

I am not actually proposing their deaths.  I am thinking that the center that loves democracy does need to start thinking in Civil War terms.  Its happened before.  They are the people that love violence.  We should expect more.  

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Your keyboard to God's monitor, Mike.

1 big thing: Biden wants to go for Trump's jugular

1709598195438.jpg

President Biden walks off Air Force One at LAX last month. Photo: Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

President Biden is privately pushing for a much more aggressive approach to 2024: Go for Donald Trump's jugular.

• Why it matters: Biden is convinced he'll rattle Trump if he taunts him daily, Axios' Hans Nichols and Alex Thompson report.

Biden has told friends he thinks Trump is wobbly, both intellectually and emotionally, and will explode if Biden mercilessly gigs and goads him — "go haywire in public," as one adviser put it.

• Other sources tell us Biden is looking for a fight.
  • Biden's instincts tell him to let it fly when warning about the consequences of Trump winning the presidency again. Biden told The New Yorker that Trump would refuse to admit losing, again.

👓 Between the lines: The "trigger Trump" approach would be a departure from a traditional Rose Garden re-election campaign.

• Instead of focusing on jobs and the economy — areas in which polls suggest Americans aren't giving Biden much credit — Biden would be making the contest as much about Trump as his own accomplishments.
  • One potential upside: It would help assuage concerns about Biden's age by showing that at 81, he can still throw a Scranton punch.

State of play: It's unclear whether Biden will flash his new fighting spirit at the State of the Union address on Thursday. But his feistiness has been apparent in recent weeks.

• "Loser" has become a favorite Biden taunt of Trump lately.

In a rare, lengthy interview with The New Yorker published yesterday, Biden said: "I'm the only one who has ever beat him. And I'll beat him again."

• "Trump lost 60 court cases — 60," Biden said recently, referring to the legal challenges on Trump's behalf that alleged fraud in the 2020 election. (It was 63, actually.) "The legal path just took him back to the truth — that I won the election, and he was a loser."

🔭 Zoom out: In a speech at Valley Forge, Pa., before the third anniversary of the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, Biden attacked Trump in terms that were clearly personal — and nearly profane.

• He suggested Trump was a "sick [blank]" before catching himself.

1709610869081.jpg

Former President Trump arrives to speak with reporters at Mar-a-Lago yesterday. Photo: Rebecca Blackwell/AP

Biden advisers have some evidence that Biden already is getting under Trump's skin.

• After Biden's appearance last week on "Late Night with Seth Meyers," Trump posted a video complaining about the show, calling the president a "basket case."

Share this story.

I am all for this.  Happy warrior is the way to go.  

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I am not actually proposing their deaths.  I am thinking that the center that loves democracy does need to start thinking in Civil War terms.  Its happened before.  They are the people that love violence.  We should expect more.  

That's because people who love violence are typically not smart, and they get frustrated and nervous about people who are smarter than they. People who love violence can't out-think or out-talk you to get their way, so they want to be able to punch your lights out to get their way. They want a might-makes-right society.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's because people who love violence are typically not smart, and they get frustrated and nervous about people who are smarter than they. People who love violence can't out-think or out-talk you to get their way, so they want to be able to punch your lights out to get their way. They want a might-makes-right society.

MMA sensibilities and WWE storylines and meatheads like Joe Rogan do not make for good public policy planning.