2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They’re nobody of note but I happen to agree with their sentiment as many others. 

I don't think you needed to lean on some nobody who doesn't even know Katie Porter to co-opt her opinion. You could have posted the same opinion as your own and we would have respected it just as much.

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn't have thought that Citizens United and whether billionaires control elections would be debatable concepts here, but, there you go. Or maybe we've just thrown up our hands, given up and let cynicism win. After all, looking cynical does make you super cool.

It's a legitimate topic in general, but when it is brought up by a high level politician who knows what kind of system she is getting into, it sounds disingenuous.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think you needed to lean on some nobody who doesn't even know Katie Porter to co-opt her opinion. You could have posted the same opinion as your own and we would have respected it just as much.

I was giving credit to someone who put it better than I did, but if this makes you happy, I've met so many Katie Porters. From high school on, there was always one. They played nice, smiled in everyone's face, wanted to be on every committee, but contributed nothing. When they don't get their way, they are mean and vindictive.

39 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's a legitimate topic in general, but when it is brought up by a high level politician who knows what kind of system she is getting into, it sounds disingenuous.  

That was essentially the first half of the first sentence I wrote in my first post about all this!

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was giving credit to someone who put it better than I did, but if this makes you happy, I've met so many Katie Porters. From high school on, there was always one. They played nice, smiled in everyone's face, wanted to be on every committee, but contributed nothing. When they don't get their way, they are mean and vindictive.

See, there you go, and I respect it just as much.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I also think that, as frustrating as it is almost baked into the cake in this era that various GOP pols will engage in this kind of rhetoric, this is an area where higher standards have to be set.

"Rigging" is a very loaded word that is often used to imply votes being casted illegally, thrown out, etc. Using it in this context really cheapens the word and lacks memory for how that word was thrown around at the end of 2020 and the consequences that resulted from that.

• Like 2

Just a few points on the "Are you better off" question with a few facts from JVL (Bullwerk)

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/the-definitive-answer-to-the-question?utm_source=substack&publication_id=87281&post_id=142360180&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=email-share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=false&r=45wcm&triedRedirect=true

How about economics? What was life like in 2020?

In March 2020, unemployment was at 4.4 percent and rising. In April it hit 14.8 percent. Unemployment was at 14.8 percent under Trump!

Under Biden, unemployment has been under 4 percent for 24 consecutive months.

Let’s look at the stock market, which crashed in 2020 and fell as far as 19,173 under Donald Trump.

Under Biden the Dow literally doubled from what it was at Trump’s nadir.

How about GDP growth? In the first two quarters of 2020, the American economy contracted at a rate that was terrifying.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama  

These numbers are all adjusted for inflation and you can see that under Biden, America has had the most sustained and robust economic growth in a decade. 

And here’s the Misery Index, which combines unemployment with inflation. You will see that 2020 was a very bad year.

For the last two years, Biden has been pushing this misery number steadily down.

Crime???

In Trump’s 2020, America became a criminal hellscape the likes of which we have never seen.

Under Joe Biden, the murder rate has fallen every year—and the drop from 2022 to 2023 is one of the largest declines in the murder rate in American history.

And it’s not just murder that’s down: Violent crime is down across the board.

One more thing: In 2020, 8,600 American troops were in harm’s way in Afghanistan. Today that number is zero.³

In sum:

In 2020 your friends and family were dying by the thousands every day from COVID. Today they’re safe.

In 2020, between 6 percent and 14 percent of Americans were out of work. Today, unemployment is under 4 percent and wages are rising.

In 2020, the American economy actually contracted. Today it’s on a steady and sustainable growth curve.

In 2020, violent crime spiked to a level America had not seen since the 1970s. Today, crime is on the decline across the board.

In 2020, America was still entangled in Afghanistan. Today, American troops are safe and our foreign policy can take dead aim at our adversaries without losing focus.

What else do you want?

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I will say this for Porter.  Was she the lead prosecutor in an impeachment?  No?  She didn't earn the job, then.  Schiff put his ass on the line and is a hero.  

I like all of them that ran but I agree with this.   Schiff is great!

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just a few points on the "Are you better off" question with a few facts from JVL (Bullwerk)

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/the-definitive-answer-to-the-question?utm_source=substack&publication_id=87281&post_id=142360180&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=email-share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=false&r=45wcm&triedRedirect=true

Crime???

In Trump’s 2020, America became a criminal hellscape the likes of which we have never seen.

Under Joe Biden, the murder rate has fallen every year—and the drop from 2022 to 2023 is one of the largest declines in the murder rate in American history.

And it’s not just murder that’s down: Violent crime is down across the board.

One more thing: In 2020, 8,600 American troops were in harm’s way in Afghanistan. Today that number is zero.³

On this, I won't give any praise to that parasite Trump, but I think it is unfair to compare anything 2020 to anything else post 1918 flu pandemic, but comparing to before the pandemic, Biden is doing well, I think he's doing QUIETLY very well, but here's the problem..... 

Most people don't give a **** about the stock market,  unemployment rate, GDP growth.   They care about how much they can buy with their dollar right now.  That's it.  That's all that matters and even though there has been inflation WORLDWIDE at higher rates than in our country, it's Biden's fautlt   Gas prices are down, but all people will remember is when they were high 3 years ago, it was Biden's fault (you've seen the stickers),  The fact that their ****ing cereal box is smaller is Biden's fault.  That's it.  That's what we're up against.    That, and the long-simmering bigotry that that orange assface helped bring to a boil. 

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average citizen (and not just in America).   Remember, we now live in a country, where the vocal majority believes that science and research are bad and reading makes you an elitist snob.  We live in an Idiocracy.    Mike Judge is a visionary

If it hadn't been for the Supreme Court overturning Roe Vs. Wade, we'd be under total Republican control.   That's the issue that's ****ing saving us right now.   Thank you to the Supreme Court for your horrible decision, you woke some people up.     But the worst of all of it, is half the people still sit this **** out.   **** them.  They don't deserve to live here.  Don't like the two parties?  Write yourself in.    

That goes for Colin Kaepernick too,  **** you Colin.  You bitch about the way things are and then you sit out voting?   No one said you had to vote for Trump or Hillary.  You can always vote for more local races and local issues.    People that do that and then don't take part can go **** off.   They are a big part of the problem.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I like all of them that ran but I agree with this.   Schiff is great!

Yup. Porter's problem was just that there was a *much* stronger candidate in the race. Nothing was going to change that. You go up against a heavy weight, it's not the corner men that are going to determine the outcome.

Look, I know Biden and the Democrats don't need to spend a bunch of money right now now, but when they do I want a campaign that really goes after Trump and reminds this country of what an evil con he is.   Show the ugliest moments  (can't show them all, that would take years).    People need to be reminded of what he is and to stop falling for this idea that your life isn't perfect under Biden, so that means Trump is better.  He's not.    If Biden was younger I think it'd be a cake walk, but I am very worried...........they are going to keep hammering home the old thing (even though he's only 3 years older than Trump) and it's going to work because Biden is not an animated guy and yes, he does move slowly (as will all of us at that age).   Trump has more "senior moments" than Biden, but it doesn't get covered that way. 

I don't want exciting, I want competence and I want humility.   Just do the damn job and don't do a bunch of victory laps, but that thing that I like is hurting Biden.  He needs to brag about his accomplishments more  In our hip hop/reality tv world, humility doesn't play,  it's all about who shouts or brags the most.         Plus its all about celebrity worship.   Trump won his party in 2016 because he was already famous.   Biden won in 2020 because he was already known.   Charles Pugh won the most votes for Detroit city council because he was on TV, he was pre-famous.  Martha Reeves won because of that too.   Didn't end well for either one of them.    If an Oprah or an actor or athlete ran as a Democrat in 2020, they'd have won the nomination.   It's intellectually lazy,  which is where we are and it's only going to get worse as people rely more and more on their cellphones and tweets to learn anything, from sources that have no more credibility than the nut screaming at traffic that every town has.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Utah's votes from their caucus continue to be counted...

It won't vote Biden, but there could be a lesson here for states like Nevada and Arizona (who both have not-insignificant Mormon communities)

Edited by mtutiger